Lets see some Hinderer action

I have two Hinderer’s now I got this 3” no-choil slicer about 2 months ago and love it. And I recently picked up a used 3.5” skinny slicer. I really like it also, it’s a little bigger than I normally carry everyday. This is probably blasphemy, and I know it negated my warranty, but the flipper tab was just too tight against my forefinger on the 3”, so I made it a manual. I tried modifying it first, but still couldn’t get used to it. It opens perfectly right now.

C276E6CD-CF79-45B2-9BA4-661AF618234D.jpeg 3F090991-381C-4D33-B146-6D45F9180A45.jpeg 0B0324B5-7F5F-46B3-96BA-AF01526094DD.jpeg 1995B0E7-34B5-4688-9E72-566FC513560C.jpeg

Last edited:
I have two Hinderer’s now I got this 3” no-choil slicer about 2 months ago and love it. And I recently picked up a used 3.5” skinny slicer. I really like it also, it’s a little bigger than I normally carry everyday. This is probably blasphemy, and I know it negated my warranty, but the flipper tab was just too tight against my forefinger on the 3”, so I made it a manual. I tried modifying it first, but still couldn’t get used to it. It opens perfectly right now.
View attachment 1125777

People have been modding Hinderers to be non flippers for quite a while. No worries, it’s not heresy. Glad the mod went well for you!

Got a couple more pics for us do we can get a better view? I’ve always liked the idea of a non-flipper/no choil.

People have been modding Hinderers to be non flippers for quite a while. No worries, it’s not heresy. Glad the mod went well for you!

Got a couple more pics for us do we can get a better view? I’ve always liked the idea of a non-flipper/no choil.
Edited OP with a few more pics

Got the Skinny 3.0 in. I compare it in the pics to one of my 3.0 no choil Slicers.
So, the detent is perfect. I like strong detents and I wouldn't call this one strong, but it's pretty much perfect.
The closing action is a lot tougher than a standard XM-18 3.0. The lock-side or show-side scale should have been ground out to allow better thumb purchase. This was obviously a cosmetic decision, not a functionality decision. Even half 1/32 less material would make a big difference here. Smaller thumbs will fare better, probably.
It's actually thicker, and feels thicker, in hand, than a standard XM-18 3.0. It feels good in the hand, but so does a standard 3.0.
Both these 2 knives weigh exactly 3.3oz. The blade stocks appear to be almost exactly, if not, the same, without busting the caliper out.
The choil is pretty useless to me. Seems too small for me to get my index finger in - I've got pretty large mitts.
If you asked me which one I like better, at this moment in time, I'd say the standard 3.0 - mainly because of the closing difficulty/annoyance.
I'm wondering if Rick is thinking of doing this to his other knives... I think some changes need to happen before he does.

I'll do a visual comparo to the Cutjack 3.0 M390 in a few here.
lVcUzxa.jpg

e53SmP5.jpg

QJlfBJV.jpg

772eGko.jpg

l6aBf3Y.jpg

CuwsttZ.jpg

49ardHJ.jpg

Last edited:
For grins, here's the thumb hole on the Skinny 3.0 vs the Cutjack 3.0 M390. Much more usable choil on the Cutjack (if you're into that) and easier to close due to the show-side thumb recess, and the thin spring steel liner is easier to bend than Titanium as well. The Hinderer does feel better in-hand and feels more solid though. Blade is slightly thinner on the Cutjack.
sndTiZv.jpg

xZevE03.jpg

Got the Skinny 3.0 in. I compare it in the pics to one of my 3.0 no choil Slicers.
So, the detent is perfect. I like strong detents and I wouldn't call this one strong, but it's pretty much perfect.
The closing action is a lot tougher than a standard XM-18 3.0. The lock-side or show-side scale should have been ground out to allow better thumb purchase. This was obviously a cosmetic decision, not a functionality decision. Even half 1/32 less material would make a big difference here. Smaller thumbs will fare better, probably.
I'm wondering if Rick is thinking of doing this to his other knives... I think some changes need to happen before he does.

I agree about the lock access, I'll probably sand down the show side scale a little bit for better access on mine. My detent is still super hard, it's breaking in a little bit though.

I hope Hinderer makes more knives like this, and based on the recent change to the Fulltrack lockbar access, I'm sure he'll make some changes based on customer feedback. I'd love to see a 3.5 XM with the same construction.

GCsia0n.jpg

I’ve really been liking the XM-18 No Choil Slicer 3”, flips like a demon just like my 3.5, and I can comfortably (barely) get a four finger grip on it. It’s going to be a great weekend carry I believe, when I’m not outdoors in the mountains.
UWIXYTT.jpg

I agree about the lock access, I'll probably sand down the show side scale a little bit for better access on mine. My detent is still super hard, it's breaking in a little bit though.

I hope Hinderer makes more knives like this, and based on the recent change to the Fulltrack lockbar access, I'm sure he'll make some changes based on customer feedback. I'd love to see a 3.5 XM with the same construction.

GCsia0n.jpg
Simple fact is, we shouldn’t have to be shaving down anything on a $375 knife, when $30 knives have the lock bar access figured out. Is it horrible, absolutely not. Should it be a lot better, absolutely. I’ll buy a Slicer when they’e released, but yeah, I’ll be giving him feedback.
Hinderer’s ergonomics are so good on his XM knives that this just leaves me puzzled how it can get this far post-production on such a basic, but crucial part of the knife’s function.
He literally only needs to release new, updated show-side scales and the knife will be perfect.
Mine could actually use a slightly stronger detent.

My Spanto Full Track arrives tomorrow.
I’m very eager to try out the new lock-bar recess. That knife REALLY needs it.

I’ve really been liking the XM-18 No Choil Slicer 3”, flips like a demon just like my 3.5, and I can comfortably (barely) get a four finger grip on it. It’s going to be a great weekend carry I believe, when I’m not outdoors in the mountains.
UWIXYTT.jpg
I love those knives! Props to DLT for nix’ing the choil on them. A tough knife with great steel and a great cutting edge in a small package.

I dont have the new liner lock hinderer but does the difficulty of unlocking the blade have something to do with your skill? You have to push out the lock bar with the very tip plus the nail of your thumb, not the side of your thumb.

Ahhhh damn. The 3” skinny lockbar design sounds really annoying. I fidget with my knives. One of my main criteria when looking for new knives is easy access to the lockbar and disengagement. I think I’ll swap my 3” skinny order to a 3” battle blue slicer.

I have looked over all my Hinders and opened snd closed and watched it closely ...

I still can't figure out what the problem is with people having issues closing them ???

I must be missing something totally ... they all close easily no issues getting to the lockbar or using it ....so I'm kind of lost with this ...

I have looked over all my Hinders and opened snd closed and watched it closely ...

I still can't figure out what the problem is with people having issues closing them ???

I must be missing something totally ... they all close easily no issues getting to the lockbar or using it ....so I'm kind of lost with this ...
Yes, all my Hinderers are some of the easiest closing knives I have.

We’re talking about the brand new liner-lock Hinderer - Skinny 3.0.

I understand they meant the 3" Skinny but I still don't find any issue with it … but everyone is different I guess.

I understand they meant the 3" Skinny but I still don't find any issue with it … but everyone is different I guess.
Do you have the new Skinny? If so, great - I’m glad closing it’s not an issue for you. So far the 2 guys that have said they have one, mentioned the lock access.
Of probably 25+ different liner locks I have, it definitely takes the most intention to unlock out of any of them. Shouldn't have to exercise uber-fine motor skills just to unlock a knife.
What’s interesting is Rick made the show-side Ti liner with a nice, ample cut-out. If the scale followed that cut-out, this would be a non-issue.
I'm beginning to wonder if the show-side scales just weren't cut correctly and they're actually supposed to follow the titanium liner's edge.
However, the problem is actually the lock-side scale if you're comparing it to a standard XM. Unlocking a standard XM comes so naturally, you don't event think about it.
You just put the middle of your thumb pad on the lock and shift left. Except now you can't do that because there's a scale there that's flush with the lock bar. You're thumb won't shift left.
On the bottom pic, you can see the skin on the inside of the lock-side scale where the thumb rubs (actually rubs the whole opening on the scale, before your thumb can dig into the lock bar.)

Dollars to donuts we see modified show-side scales.
nrQsEDV.jpg

QreWqa9.jpg

Do you have the new Skinny? If so, great - I’m glad closing it’s not an issue for you. So far the 2 guys that have said they have one, mentioned the lock access.
Of probably 25+ different liner locks I have, it definitely takes the most intention to unlock out of any of them. Shouldn't have to exercise uber-fine motor skills just to unlock a knife.
What’s interesting is Rick made the show-side Ti liner with a nice, ample cut-out. If the scale followed that cut-out, this would be a non-issue.
I'm beginning to wonder if the show-side scales just weren't cut correctly and they're actually supposed to follow the titanium liner's edge.
However, the problem is actually the lock-side scale if you're comparing it to a standard XM. Unlocking a standard XM comes so naturally, you don't event think about it.
You just put the middle of your thumb pad on the lock and shift left. Except now you can't do that because there's a scale there that's flush with the lock bar. You're thumb won't shift left.
On the bottom pic, you can see the skin on the inside of the lock-side scale where the thumb rubs (actually rubs the whole opening on the scale, before your thumb can dig into the lock bar.)

Dollars to donuts we see modified show-side scales.
nrQsEDV.jpg

QreWqa9.jpg

you get very defensive very quickly ... I do not have a 3" Skinny but a good friend does ... and I've handled it alot ...

he and I both were trying to see what the issue is some are bringing up ... we couldn't ... it isn't difficult to push or access the lock bar ... and is buttery smooth ...

so I just mentioned my experience and wondered exactly what people had issue with ... it's not malicious or aimed at anyone ...

but I just have had a very different experience and take on the knife so I shared that ... sorry if it ruffles your feathers if someone has a view that isn't in line with yours.

Back