Lets see some Hinderer action

Does anyone have a Stonewash DLC Hinderer with some bronze or battle bronze hardware on it? I’d like to see how the bronze looks and contrasts on the Stonewash DLC....

Hi guys, I haven't been over here for quite a while, so I went back to pick up on the latest RHK talk and check the news and all your new knives. Nothing new in my Hinderer world--still got my 4--but reading Mistman68 Mistman68 's thoughts on the MP1 as well the earlier posts on sharpening angles got me to pocket mine yesterday. I agree that the thumbstuds on the MP1 don't make a lotta sense as they're basically useless for opening and aren't blade stops either. On the other hand, that knife remains one of my favorites as a mid-size that affords an excellent 4-finger grip, has a great blade shape, and flips very well indeed. I'm also particularly fond of the red canvas Micarta scale on mine.

As far as sharpening goes, 3 of my 4 RHKs have been reprofiled, my XM24 radically so with an REK regrind from Spanto to large radius hollow. All mine came to me around 22-23 DPS, and my XM18 3.5 Spanto and MP1 have been redone on my EP to 20DPS, which makes them much better cutters. Hinderer S35VN takes a wicked sharp polished edge that seems to hold up quite well. I could probably go a bit steeper and hold that edge, but taking down all that steel, even using my diamonds, doesn't seem necessary given the already substantial improvement.

Here's the MP1 in the shop yesterday as I enjoyed my AC and built some new storage horses.

KO4MkUC.jpg

DeXaaHt.jpg

I think I'm going to need to do something w/my 3.5" Spanto, not really a fan of the grind, more of a chopper or shallow cutter, doesn't really slice well. Been thinking of selling it but I've never sold any of my knives (sort of a hoarder as far as that goes) and really like the knife. Reading that CP had his reground and seems to enjoy it I think that's what I'll end up doing to make it more of a user if I keep it. Still really haven't warmed up to the MP-1, it's ok, really heavy (full Ti) and doesn't do anything better than some of my other knives and I gotta say I'm still not over the 'stupid' thumb studs. Like someone didn't think it through very well, I like using thumb studs, maybe more than a flipper so there's that. My 3" Skinny has bumped a lot of knives out of my pocket, I'm hopeful the 3.5" Skinny is also a sweet knife. When I finally do get that I may move the Spanto down the road, right now it's never used.

If you're thinking of a regrind for your Spanto, Mistman68 Mistman68 , Josh at REK does outstanding work and is super responsive and helpful. Most of the guys here have seen this knife, but here's a before shot with my XM18 3.5...

CvPYv8Q.jpg

...and an after.

rC52MAl.jpg

This is one blade that I'm actually kinda afraid of--it's literally scary-sharp. :eek:

Wow, he did a great job! Completely different looking blade, is it hollow of flat? Almost looks hollow, I imagine one could spec it either way.

I'm going to check them out right now! Thanks Chazzy!

I had him do a large radius hollow, Mistman68 Mistman68 . I liked that grind a lot after picking up a Large Inkosi as it has the thin-behind-the-edge benefits of a hollow while more closely approximating the geometry of a full flat ground blade for improved slicing action. Josh left the Hinderer coarse stonewash (my favorite RHK finish) on the blade flats and did a 600 grit grind finish on the primary, duplicating it on the swedge. He increased the height of the primary grind by about .125" to maximize the knife's cutting ability.

iUaJB2W.jpg

Guys I need some help deciding...

I plan on buying a new Full Track in the next month or 2 hopefully if they are still available. I am torn on which version to order. All three steels, 20cv, m390, and s35vn can still be found. I think I prefer the 20cv or m390 to s35vn, but that is based mostly on what I have read about edge retention and being a more "premium" steel.

I have several m390 blades and one 20cv blade but have no personal experience with s35vn. From what I understand s35vn is a tougher steel but the others will hold an edge longer. I like the looks of the spear point better as opposed to the spanto of the s35vn blade, and the bronze looking parts in the jimping on the s35vn models from heat treat kinda bug me. I have no valid reason for this other than I don't like how it looks, I guess it looks rusty to me even though I know it is not.

The one thing that keeps the s35vn model in contention is the recessed lock bar access. Though I briefly handled a full track at blade, I do not recall which version it was, nor did I pay close attention to the disengagement of the lock. So my question to you would be, is the lock bar access really annoying in the 20cv/m390 models as opposed to the s35vn model? Will I regret not getting the s35vn model due to better access?

Oh and one more thing. I know the m390 models had the lock stick issue but from what I understand this has been resolved. Has anyone had any lock stick issues lately with the m390 models? I think my order of preference would be m390, 20cv, and then s35vn model. I intend this knife to be a user, probably more of a user than most of my knives, but I don't do any tasks that really require the extra toughness that s35vn would provide. Besides that what I have a ranch bowie for :).

Anyways sorry for the long post. If you guys have any input it would be appreciated, mostly if the lock bar access alone is worth getting the s35vn version, or if it really isn't an issue on the former versions. Thanks everyone!

This is one of those IMHO posts, but having both a spear point Full Track M390 and a spanto S35VN the deeper recess cut by .079" of the S35VN does give a very slight bit of extra area, but pulling both of them out and opening both numerous times I can't say I would make the larger recess cut that much of a deciding factor. If you have smaller hands you might like the extra .079" of recess.
My M390 did have a bit of lock stick early on, but soon smoothed out and is just as easy releasing as the S35VN now. I worked all my life with my hands so I might have a different take on the recess and lock bar issues as others.

I know the m390 models had the lock stick issue but from what I understand this has been resolved. Has anyone had any lock stick issues lately with the m390 models? I think my order of preference would be m390, 20cv, and then s35vn model.

I have a m390 full track purchased 2019 and have had no lock stick issues. When it was brand new it took some effort and dug into the finger a bit, but not now. I haven’t carried or put it to work but have opened it probably under 100 times and it’s broken in nicely. It rockets open with impressive ease and speed. It’s kind of fun it’s so easy. It would either impress or frighten anyone watching, depending on their comfort around knives. A recent turn toward CRK had me considering selling the full track but just then Hinderer announced TI was discontinued and I decided to hold on longer. In reality, the #1 reason for me holding onto it is how great it opens. I don’t have anything else that opens like this at any size let alone as big and strong as this knife is. My other reasons are it’s so unique, durable and the quantities are now fixed. BTW, I have a ranch bowie like you do, it and the full track make a nice pair. Good luck in your decision! Don’t wait too long to decide.

Back