Lets see some M43's

Hey, now I can see it. I guess I never imagened an M43 cutting peppers and the like but it definately does the job! good stuff, and cool photo!

Ancient spirits of evil, transform this decayed form to OK-RA, THE EVER-LIVING!!!
<evil laughter>
- from "ThunderVeggies"

(Sorry; I've been waiting to use that joke for a while. :D)

Good thread! I have some pics at home I'll post as soon as I can. I enjoy seeing everyone's pictures, especially some of the older ones.

And here's mine, the photo's are by previous owner sweet, I just was lucky to be in the right place at the right time to get it from him. :)

HIM-43ownedbyBenSweethi1-7.jpg

Made Sher the Tiger Kami, 17.5inches and 27ounces with Antler grips.

HIAntlerhandleM43175inch27ouncebySh.jpg

A real beauty!

Yes. Absolutely :cool:

THAT is just about perfect. Thank you for sharing, now I know how I want my M43 to look. Was it a custom order?

Thanks. It is pretty close to perfect. Balance and weight are spot on, though of course those two things are subjective. This knife is an older piece, from 2003 IIRC. Nothing custom about it, just a normal UBDOTD. I'm especially fond of this one as I bought it on Uncle Bill's birthday.

Here's mine. 19" and 32 ounces by Tirtha.

M43003.jpg

And with some family members, post handle re-work.
M-43SheathandbigHIkhuks013.jpg

I would love to see Tirtha do a few things with his M43's. One, reduce the size of the edge bevel by half. The M43 has a very unique small bevel not seen in may other models. Secondly, get the weight back down to about 26-27 ounces with a ceiling of 28 ounces, which would be closer to the historic weight. And lastly, get back to a smaller handle. It could be slightly biggger than the traditional 4.5 inch handle but not three pin monsters. I think a Service No 1 sized handle would work without messing up the balance. If there is a balance change they can compensate by increasing the overall size from 17.5 inches and bring it up to 18 inches.

If that were done it would be the most accurate representation of the MKII made anywhere. Tirtha has really captured the overall graceful lines and shape of this incredible kukri, better than anywhere else. And with HI's touch of shining the blades and with the addition of optional horn and the stunning Neem wood handles, this would truely be a show piece.

Last edited:
Thats what I am thinking! the look of this Kukri is great, and it somehow stands out to me. I'm pretty excited about it. I'll be sure to add my pics here when it arrives.

I would love to see Tirtha do a few things with his M43's. One, reduce the size of the edge bevel by half. The M43 has a very unique small bevel not seen in may other models. Secondly, get the weight back down to about 26-27 ounces with a ceiling of 28 ounces, which would be closer to the historic weight. And lastly, get back to a smaller handle. It could be slightly biggger than the traditional 4.5 inch handle but not three pin monsters. I think a Service No 1 sized handle would work without messing up the balance. If there is a balance change they can compensate by increasing the overall size from 17.5 inches and bring it up to 18 inches.

If that were done it would be the most accurate representation of the MKII made anywhere. Tirtha has really captured the overall graceful lines and shape of this incredible kukri, better than anywhere else. And with HI's touch of shining the blades and with the addition of optional horn and the stunning Neem wood handles, this would truely be a show piece.

Bill, in the past you mentioned the Air Crew Khukuri/MK II and that idea has burned in my mind. I was speaking to Auntie a while back, paying for another wool hat, and asked her about a 15" M-43. She said she would like to see one and said I should mention it on the forum if I wanted to have one maid since others might like the idea. I got serious about research and found some photos on other forums. Info on this model is sketchy, but there are some nice photos. Things came up and another big knife entered the picture, so this went to the back burner. After seeing how thin and light Tirtha can hammer steel, the idea of re-creating this khuk seems entirely possible. Also, my Shaila B-43 (far right in the above photo of mine) seems to have lines close to what the original MK IIs had, but about 8 ounces too heavy. Maybe we should give a 15" M-43 a shot with this present crew at HI. I'd like some stats, since I've found zero real info. What do you think? Snow, sorry to hijack your thread, but it seemed like a good fit. Take care.

no harm no foul.

Actually, why don;t we start a new thread about making just such a khuk - I would find it really interesting! might be a fun project for when Ms. Yangdu starts doing custom orders again - perhaps it, along witht the smatchet could be like a "forum knife". Numbered 1 - however many are sold, and availabel only to forum members! that would be cool! again, once HI gets caught up with thier log and stock, so we'll have to wait a bit.

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

M-43kukhuri001.jpg

M-43kukhuri007.jpg

M-43kukhuri006.jpg

M-43kukhuri002.jpg

M-43kukhuri005.jpg

My Sher the Tiger, 31oz, 18", DOTD khukuri from a few years ago. In the pics it has a Terry Sisco/Sarki Shop "Sasquatch Special" frog and scabbard treatment.

Back