Lets see your CPK in Leather!

Thanks Derrel. I like the one you got too. It’s a high ride belt sheath. It’s good for concealed carry, and has excellent retention.
J8Wz318.jpg

t8DD959.jpg

Thanks Derrel. I like the one you got too. It’s a high ride belt sheath. It’s good for concealed carry, and has excellent retention.
J8Wz318.jpg

t8DD959.jpg
I love modular attachments, and I'm liking Bill's work- he has some good ideas about what makes for a practical sheath:thumbsup:.

There are a lot of sheaths I've seen that look awesome in terms of quality construction and materials, but don't look like they'd carry particularly well. So bulky and so many doodads. I like minimalist design with a focus on how the sheath rides and how the user interacts with it when drawing and resheathing. Designing a sheath- for me- is almost as complicated as designing a straight knife. In fact, to my way of thinking, the sheath is the other half of the knife and the usefulness and value of a knife is greatly diminished by a poorly matched, or non existent, sheath

Lorien, thanks for the kind words much appreciated :) I really like how your sheaths are going :) You’ve got that insert click sounding like kydex :) !!!
I agree with what your saying. I’ve gone from overly built leather sheaths. To well built with edge to heavy duty sheaths. The carry concept gets tricky at least for me. I like a tip slight back position that puts handle close to straight up. But I’m building these as I go, so I ask customers. Where or how would you like knife to ride. So some of my sheaths have been through multiple emails. Going over how a person would like it to be. I’ve had some go out with emphasis on relation to being seated in vehicle. I also know different knives and sizes will change things. Just can’t get my high ride set up to work with my Behemother lol.

76C12AE7-669F-4E31-9477-15A1C6DAE1FC.jpeg 4D333BA4-D8F2-4348-BEF4-7F6E4504093A.jpeg
Mr. Long got my knife Thursday, I confirmed sheath style/ pattern Friday and it was shipped back to me Monday. Got it yesterday. His work is truly awesome and fast! I told him the Shiv reminded me of a fang/ claw and this alligator inlay is on point. My plan is to have some custom scales made.

View attachment 1344140 View attachment 1344139
Mr. Long got my knife Thursday, I confirmed sheath style/ pattern Friday and it was shipped back to me Monday. Got it yesterday. His work is truly awesome and fast! I told him the Shiv reminded me of a fang/ claw and this alligator inlay is on point. My plan is to have some custom scales made.
Mr. Long is a awesome guy to talk to and figure out what setup is best.

Looks better to me than any other leather sheath I've seen...I have never heard one produce a perfectly satisfying click sound like this one does. And it's set up perfectly with a bespoke IWB loop...and dyed to perfectly complement the antique micarta...best sheath ever man!!! You're a sheath maker.

View attachment 1344140 View attachment 1344139
Holy FUCK that's nice!

Congrats!

After three-plus years and literally thousands of draws, my original horizontal kydex EDC sheath has become so broken-in that I fear a serious forward tumble with a hard bump on the botttom of the handle could cause the knife to pop out and possibly do some unwanted slicing if you get my drift. I want to emphasize that the kydex sheath is not loose by any means, but a close call in the snow got me thinking about something new that is a little more secure. My first thought for this particular sheath project was Dave Ferry (a.k.a. Horsewright Horsewright here on the forum.)

I first met Dave about a year-and-a-half ago at his ranch house to discuss and finalize several sheath projects. Prior to that I read a number of his posts on the “Sheaths & Such” subforums where he is most active. Super nice guy to work with as is his equally talented wife Nichole who does the fancy custom leather carving if your project includes that option.

The sheath I ordered for my favorite EDC 1 was his standard horizontal cross-draw in Hermann Oak leather. This is one of the most popular sheath styles he makes, particularly among the professional Cowboy crowd who need an easily accessible knife that stays secure if horses and/or cattle do unpredictable things with the rider still attached. I am no professional Buckaroo by any means. Urban cowboy very lite maybe since I feed and muck for my wife’s horse Toby. The bottom line is that a secure, compact, and accessible sheath is a nice thing no matter your profession.

My sheath turned out very nice indeed. Dave custom shapes the leather and fits each sheath to a specific knife. No generic pouchs here. He incorporates a Loveless style cam inside the sheath whenever possible to ensure that the knife stays put through any hard bouncing around until you reach over to pull it out.

Toby must have caught a whiff of new leather “tack” when I was down at our barn feeding him the other day. He actually gave up eating to come over and check it out. I dare say he approved of the sheath.

If you are in the market for a custom sheath, give Dave’s website a look to see if one of his models suits your needs. I am very happy with mine.

Phil

After three-plus years and literally thousands of draws, my original horizontal kydex EDC sheath has become so broken-in that I fear a serious forward tumble with a hard bump on the botttom of the handle could cause the knife to pop out and possibly do some unwanted slicing if you get my drift. I want to emphasize that the kydex sheath is not loose by any means, but a close call in the snow got me thinking about something new that is a little more secure. My first thought for this particular sheath project was Dave Ferry (a.k.a. Horsewright Horsewright here on the forum.)

I first met Dave about a year-and-a-half ago at his ranch house to discuss and finalize several sheath projects. Prior to that I read a number of his posts on the “Sheaths & Such” subforums where he is most active. Super nice guy to work with as is his equally talented wife Nichole who does the fancy custom leather carving if your project includes that option.

The sheath I ordered for my favorite EDC 1 was his standard horizontal cross-draw in Hermann Oak leather. This is one of the most popular sheath styles he makes, particularly among the professional Cowboy crowd who need an easily accessible knife that stays secure if horses and/or cattle do unpredictable things with the rider still attached. I am no professional Buckaroo by any means. Urban cowboy very lite maybe since I feed and muck for my wife’s horse Toby. The bottom line is that a secure, compact, and accessible sheath is a nice thing no matter your profession.

My sheath turned out very nice indeed. Dave custom shapes the leather and fits each sheath to a specific knife. No generic pouchs here. He incorporates a Loveless style cam inside the sheath whenever possible to ensure that the knife stays put through any hard bouncing around until you reach over to pull it out.

Toby must have caught a whiff of new leather “tack” when I was down at our barn feeding him the other day. He actually gave up eating to come over and check it out. I dare say he approved of the sheath.

If you are in the market for a custom sheath, give Dave’s website a look to see if one of his models suits your needs. I am very happy with mine.

Phil

Thanks Phil for the write up! Sure glad that sheath is working out for ya! I carry horizontal crossdraw myself, all the time. Just works for me.

/comprehensivist

Congrats on the sheath , thanks for sharing :)

Just like to add :)
Horsewright makes truly awesome leather !!!!! He has holsters, belts, chaps, bags, clothing , etc etc !!!!! Super nice guy too !!

Thanks!

I want to give a big shout out to Chad Pirtle @cpirtle .

These two sheaths always put a big smile on my face. Besides being pretty fancy, they do great at Job #1 of holding the knives snug and secure until it’s time to use ‘em.

I look forward to my next couple of sheaths from you when you get back to full time. You are a good man for prioritizing family first over work during this crazy pandemic period.

Phil

Decided to spring for some JouFuu leather. This is his Monarch model. After a quick email exchange with him (he even took pictures of his EDC in a couple models for me!), I opted for this in-between size.

Perfect option for length and fit. The pocket clip is very snug (No Way is the sheath coming out when It's time to skin leather!). Rides perfectly in front pocket, side leg pocket, and even IWB cross draw at 11: o'clock. I can get away with an untucked casual shirt in the office, so this is my carry choice tomorrow.

Plus, he had this thing shipped in something like 15 minutes from placing the order this Saturday!

A little lanyard action makes retrieval a snap.

ecUMjdAl.jpg

IT6RuNWl.jpg

Last edited:
Back