Lets See Your Custom Southard!

Working on it. Almost there. Love this knife, outstanding job by all involved!

8B04B13D-3201-4CA7-AA3D-13C113266AF0-1774-0000025EB034DB2C.jpg

Shadetree burlap with imbedded glow dust

Well, it just might be that 2013 is the year of the spydie southard. I just finished up a couple, and I have a couple more inbound by the end of the week.

Here's what went out today:

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

Hi there!
I admire the B. Southard for it's handle to blade ratio but the blade tip has poked my thumb (drew a little blood) when i hurriedly took it out from my RFP. Instead of reaching for the handles scales, I accidentally pushed my thumb in between the handle straight to the blade tip! And for some reason, you can even open the knife by sticking your fingernail & pulling the tip out! Not so safe IMO.
So I decided to re-profile the tip about 2mm shorter, but still keeping the original form. Now it is about 3-3/8" or 86mm (from 3.46" / 89mm) over-all blade length.
I hope this would also give you guys an idea if you have the same problem. ;)

Cris

You must have the smallest hands of any mortal. I tried repeated times to try and snag the tip of the southards blade and failed with every digit except the pinky and that took an extreme amount of force. Maybe your knife had a longer than normal tip for some odd reason.

You must have the smallest hands of any mortal. I tried repeated times to try and snag the tip of the southards blade and failed with every digit except the pinky and that took an extreme amount of force. Maybe your knife had a longer than normal tip for some odd reason.

I can get every finger to catch the tip if I try, but have had not had it snag on anything unintentionally. I can actually run my finger up the rear of the handle and catch and open the knife with the tip against my finger. Not going to mod it, but you really could not get more blade in that handle.

Nice work with this. The g10 thickness really bugs me on this knife for some reason. It has kept me from pulling the trigger on one...so far. When I get one I plan to either modify the scale in a similar fashion or purchase one aftermarket, etc.

The thicker g10 side just looks awkward to me...and yes I know I'm being picky.

I have done the following to mine so far: rounded the clip and stonewashed it to match the blade. Knocked a bit off the scale thickness and smoothed it out so that it is less abrasive and the overall thickness is more uniform on each side. I also removed the lanyard tube and put a lanyard on the ti side only (strider style). Love this knife. I am probably going to have an OD Green Scale made in Canvas Micarta or textured G10 in the same dimensions as my modified stock scale. I really like the thickness it is at right now.View attachment 321992View attachment 321994View attachment 321995

Nice work with this. The g10 thickness really bugs me on this knife for some reason. It has kept me from pulling the trigger on one...so far. When I get one I plan to either modify the scale in a similar fashion or purchase one aftermarket, etc.

The thicker g10 side just looks awkward to me...and yes I know I'm being picky.
You aren't alone. I was 100% sold on this knife before I saw that the G10/liner scale is way thicker than the Ti scale. Destroyed the symmetry and lost me as a buyer. Huge let down.

You aren't alone. I was 100% sold on this knife before I saw that the G10/liner scale is way thicker than the Ti scale. Destroyed the symmetry and lost me as a buyer. Huge let down.

I would suggest holding one in your hand if you havent. The symmetry issues (if you would call them that) are much more pronounced in pictures than in real life. Plus if the knife was thinner I dont feel it would fit the hand as well as it does. The design seem much less an afterthought when compared to many customs from say someone like mikkel Willumsen who will throw a 1/2" slab of G10 on anything for what seems no reason.

I added some LSCF to the mix.....
E3BF75C7-BF1D-4E98-8CC9-832BD3B55537-23198-00000A5A289735B0.jpg

804398EF-AFA3-432A-8669-C280969CDA90-23198-00000A5A134E1E2E.jpg

54EEB46C-6F99-45B3-89A8-7EC2B43B9A49-23198-00000A5A0517D4AF.jpg

F11E54C8-5CAB-4A03-A56E-04FD9D6EA0FE-23198-00000A59F8284BA5.jpg

Am going to try to get some better pictures later in the week.

Thank you, I did them. Not too bad for my first attempt, right? (I have some prior machining experience.)I actually found a few spots I want to touch up and then I will get some more pictures up.

Thank you, I did them. Not too bad for my first attempt, right? (I have some prior machining experience.)I actually found a few spots I want to touch up and then I will get some more pictures up.
Nice work for a first attempt! CF scales changes the entire look to another level. :thumbup:

Thanks guys. Am trying to figure out what I can do with the clip that's the next thing that needs some work.

Got some more work to show you guys. The latest is a LSCF version. This one is different as the customer wanted a thinner scale than stock. In case you didn't know, the stock thickness of the Southard measures .206" with the liner. I've read some negative comments from people saying that the lock side thickness and the non-lock side aren't symmetrical on this knife. The lockside thickness of the knife measures about .133". That's a difference of .073" Maybe not a lot on paper, but in the hand, you can certainly feel it.

IMG_1793.jpg

The overall thickness is .538"

IMG_1794.jpg

So, getting back to the mod: My customer wanted me to thin down the LSCF as much as I could to give the knife a more slimmer and symmetrical feel.

I got the non-lock side down to .165" That was a compromise, because I didn't want to cut down the scale screws in case my guy wanted to revert to the stock scale at any time. the trade-off here is that I wasn't able to counter sink the screws as much as with the stock scale.

That brought my thickness down to .487"

IMG_1795.jpg

On to the real pics! Enjoy.......

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

Really nice work, Barry. I think that the thinner scale really balances well for a more symmetrical look. Beautiful customization.

Back