Lets See Your Custom Southard!

Got some more work to show you guys. The latest is a LSCF version. This one is different as the customer wanted a thinner scale than stock. In case you didn't know, the stock thickness of the Southard measures .206" with the liner. I've read some negative comments from people saying that the lock side thickness and the non-lock side aren't symmetrical on this knife. The lockside thickness of the knife measures about .133". That's a difference of .073" Maybe not a lot on paper, but in the hand, you can certainly feel it.

IMG_1793.jpg

The overall thickness is .538"

IMG_1794.jpg

So, getting back to the mod: My customer wanted me to thin down the LSCF as much as I could to give the knife a more slimmer and symmetrical feel.

I got the non-lock side down to .165" That was a compromise, because I didn't want to cut down the scale screws in case my guy wanted to revert to the stock scale at any time. the trade-off here is that I wasn't able to counter sink the screws as much as with the stock scale.

That brought my thickness down to .487"

IMG_1795.jpg

On to the real pics! Enjoy.......

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

Pm sent

Barry H., I love that LSCF, great job! I know where I am sending my Southard when I get one later this year.

Did this one last week it turned out stunning!
Micarta scale & stop blasted& deep bronze ano!

8980BDDE-orig.jpg

3C02139C-orig.jpg

C3A959CB-orig.jpg

52D20934-orig.jpg

0A56908B-orig.jpg

Thanks guys
Alex

Alex, that is the best modded Southard I have seen, I love the cloth looking micarta. I was originally wondering why you left the clip untouched, but it looks better against the bronze look Ti than the original stonewashed Ti.

Got some more work to show you guys. The latest is a LSCF version. This one is different as the customer wanted a thinner scale than stock. In case you didn't know, the stock thickness of the Southard measures .206" with the liner. I've read some negative comments from people saying that the lock side thickness and the non-lock side aren't symmetrical on this knife. The lockside thickness of the knife measures about .133". That's a difference of .073" Maybe not a lot on paper, but in the hand, you can certainly feel it.

This is exactly what I need--do away with the dirt colored G-10, sexy it up with some sweet looking CF and make it even more pocket friendly at the same time by thinning it down a hair. Very nice.

I am probably going to have an OD Green Scale made in Canvas Micarta or textured G10 in the same dimensions as my modified stock scale. I really like the thickness it is at right now

Where are you going to get the scale from? I have been thinking I'd like an alternative color than the brown.

My Southard just returned from a visit to Barry H. for some of the slimmed down LSCF love he showed off here previously.

I have to say, I love the result. Here it is in a few quick first snapshots, with a deep pocket custom clip by STR:

48F7qNn.jpg

2VZ3ZqP.jpg

cmklBe2.jpg

1CZlLHY.jpg

1joztb2.jpg

Plus the STR clip, that is awesome. Who is going to be the first one to do a re-grind on this knife? I talked to a guy on the phone about possibly doing it to mine. He said spring at the earliest so he can get outside and wet-grind it. I am not positive I want to yet.

I am thinking when I finally order a Southard I will just have it shipped right to Barry H for some of those thin LSCF scales. Stellar work!

No LSCF, micarta or anodizing here....but I did want black scales :thumbup:

Nice work, it's amazing how much nicer the knife immediately looks in black. I know some folks love the brown, but I really didn't like it.

I am thinking when I finally order a Southard I will just have it shipped right to Barry H for some of those thin LSCF scales. Stellar work!

Get in line :), I contacted him a while ago he is back logged until at least March.

Nice work, did you RIT dye them? It looks much better in black.

Yup. Little project for myself last night. First time to ever RIT dye some scales and it could not have been easier! 1 pack black RIT dye powder in 4 cups water...boil....let scales and OT button soak in the mix for 30 minutes, rinse off and done.

I really like the dark black look against the dark, stone washed titanium.

I think the black scale looks much better than the brown. And the cost to die the stock scale is insignificant compared to some of the prices I've seen to create a custom scale (would you believe more than the cost of the knife itself? :eek: )

I think the black scale looks much better than the brown. And the cost to die the stock scale is insignificant compared to some of the prices I've seen to create a custom scale (would you believe more than the cost of the knife itself? :eek: )
That sounds like a real rip off. I'm sure there's someone around here that could do it for a reasonable price.

Got this one recently on the exchange from panersche. The knife was customized by Matt C.
LSCF with bronzed hardware, standoffs and pocketclip.

IMG_0197_zpsa9c94b78.jpg

IMG_0199_zps235355a8.jpg

Back