Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

I still grab the old kitchen knives when I can, but I don't see them very often and they're more expensive than they used to be.
These are my unmarked second from Argentina, and a Henckels Zwilling that I ground a pronounced steeling cusp off of.
yv1tctG.jpg

And something different for a change:
g38N7uL.jpg
Generally the same here mate :( Nice SOG :cool: Here's the less tactical version;) :thumbsup:

NIce.
Is your version as thick as mine?(5mm/ 3/16") It looks like your bevel starts lower.
I like my Randallesque guard, but a guy could get killed trying to draw quietly from that kydex bear-trap.
Thanks :) I'm not at home right now Jer, but I reckon it's about 4mm. I bought in France in 1991.i know what you mean mate, I recently got a UPS boot-knife, and I reckon a fast draw would take your boot off, maybe even your leg! 😱🤣👍

t I reckon it's about 4mm

The original version, I got mine in the 90s, is thinner than 3/16 if I remember correctly. Maybe even 1/8 or 5/32.
According to my Swedish caliper, mine is 2/1000 of an inch at the tang. According to my plastic caliper, it's 6mm or 2.25/0.05 of an inch. Putting my Swedish caliper against a ruler, I'm back to 3/16".

So here's something else:
UMTSzxt.jpg)

UMTSzxt.jpg)

or not.
UMTSzxt.jpg

There.

Last edited:
Just felt like handling this Western Bird and Trout.

EjeMMPX.jpg

Not too bad for 75+ years and at 4 1/4" easy to tote.
Very nice example you've got there, the L48A is on my list.
I have a Black beauty F48A that was given to me as a kid by a relative who inherited a garage full of junk and I love the knife but am not quite in love with the stacked fiber and aluminum.

Jer, which handle feels the best?
Tough one.
It would probably be the Savage, because the thinness and curve make it nimble and make it easy to feel where the edge is, but the lanyard tab does narrow the comfort zone of the grip. (I was going to replace the handles to cover the whole tang, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that the handles that were already shaped and drilled were close enough, so I put them back.)

The Buck could have a longer handle, or a rounder edge on the butt plate, but it feels better to me as it is than the Savage does. Both handles could be less curved without upsetting me.

The fishtail on the Gerber is a little broad across the flukes, but is tapered in the narrow plane so that it's comfortable between the pinkie and palm when gripped for use.

So the Gerber by a whisker's breadth.

Me too. And if I get in my car without stowing the FB out of reach, suddenly it's a concealed weapon.
Kutmaster:
UOqS5U5.jpg
Right you are my friend! We need to remember to use the trunk and avoid the felony.
But with a ($150 per year) state issued license, a 44 magnum revolver can ride along with you virtually anywhere.
Bureaucrats keeping us safe while collecting fees.

Nice Kutmaster, Jer.

Last edited:
Right you are my friend! We need to remember to use the trunk and avoid the felony.
But with a ($150 per year) state issued license, a 44 magnum revolver can ride along with you virtually anywhere.
Bureaucrats keeping us safe while collecting fees.

Nice Kutmaster, Jer.
Thanks!
I love those little guys.
Of course the ideal knife handle would be small in carriage and big and grippy in use.
dSfX6Us.jpg

With my beloved Ontario 2nd.

My pistol license was $215 for five? years (they'll let me know), but the self defense insurance is over $200/yr.

Back