Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Good to know that. Fencing pliers are kinda jacks of all trades. There are tools that do everything that they do better but there is nothing that does as many things as well.

kphZKIw.jpg

Yes sir Its a wool Over Shirt by Schaffer Outfitter. I bought it back in December at their booth at Cowboy Christmas in Las Vegas at the NFR (National Finals Rodeo). I'd been looking for a Jac Shirt kind of a deal for a while and had tried on quite a few different ones before finding this one. I've been very pleased with it. Little light for the use pictured but I had an insulated vest on underneath and it was pretty cozy. But its lightness was what I'd been looking for. Something I could wear around town here and not have to be taking it on and off going into a store or something. And in that bag was a heavy wool sweater (jumper) that would go underneath and I'd of been past cozy. I like it so much I've been seriously looking at their Cattle Baron wool coat. A heavier version and designed for riding which many coats are not. In fact, (hint, hint), I keep leaving a window open to this coat on the computer. Nichole will notice sooner or later.

A Mestano with ironwood:

HXJiDZY.jpg

owSUtu9.jpg

KLfWWsg.jpg

I'm getting more and more fond of this model all the time. I've been carrying one exclusively for quitge a while and I'm really liking it.
I have to confess I've never used them Dave, but they look mighty useful. By coincidence, I gave my mate's lad a similar tool, with various blades/saws/etc in the handles, Leatherman-style. It was a bit cheapo, a girlfriend gave it me years ago, and I never opened the blister-pack, but 10-year old Idris is pleased as punch with it! :D You look the Bee's Knees Dave! I remember you asking me about my Stormy Kromer, but that looks a lot more practical. The SK is smart, but it's too restrictive in the shoulders and upper arms for a work coat. I find I wear the matching vest more. The sweater sounds great. I bought a heavy wool Barbour sweater a few years back, and it's the warmest I've owned :) I hope you get your riding coat :D Classy cutlery, as always :) :thumbsup:

... Of course the ideal knife handle would be small in carriage and big and grippy in use.
+1 Jer.
Probably why I like the Izula II. It's only 6.5" overall but with a full 4" of grip area. The design and material of the grip keeps it compact while giving it a secure, almost locked in feel. 🔒
IMO, the Horsewrights have a similar look, small in carriage and grippy in use. Hope to find out someday. :)

J2Ys9MR.jpg

+1 Jer.
Probably why I like the Izula II. It's only 6.5" overall but with a full 4" of grip area. The design and material of the grip keeps it compact while giving it a secure, almost locked in feel. 🔒
IMO, the Horsewrights have a similar look, small in carriage and grippy in use. Hope to find out someday. :)

J2Ys9MR.jpg
+1 on both.
I have a similar esee.
iercwEQ.jpg

I have to confess I've never used them Dave, but they look mighty useful. By coincidence, I gave my mate's lad a similar tool, with various blades/saws/etc in the handles, Leatherman-style. It was a bit cheapo, a girlfriend gave it me years ago, and I never opened the blister-pack, but 10-year old Idris is pleased as punch with it! :D You look the Bee's Knees Dave! I remember you asking me about my Stormy Kromer, but that looks a lot more practical. The SK is smart, but it's too restrictive in the shoulders and upper arms for a work coat. I find I wear the matching vest more. The sweater sounds great. I bought a heavy wool Barbour sweater a few years back, and it's the warmest I've owned :) I hope you get your riding coat :D Classy cutlery, as always :) :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack! Ya know I looked at the Stormy Kromer, LL Bean and Filson as well as some vintage Pendletons. Good to know about the SK as it was in the finals. But after really looking at em I think the Cattle Baron from Schaffer suits me the best. Course every cowboy has a Stormy Kromer cap. On top of the pile here and there's that sweater too, an LL Bean:

I6nlIEB.jpg

Funny deal about them Mestanos:

That DIW Mestano sure looks nice. My Mestano has Mesquite. It sure is a handy knife that cuts above its size. :thumbsup: 🤠

Right before I went out to feed this morning, a buddy in Arizona sent me this pic of a Mestano and siad that is one beautiful knife:

3YpmBym.jpg

I came back in and it had sold. Not to my buddy but to another guy in Arizona whom I don't know. Just seemed kinda funny to me them both being interested in the same knife at the same time and both being in AZ!. I agree they act like a bigger knife then they are. If ya look close its a scaled down Cowboy.
Ooooo!!! mesquite!! 👍
I've got quite a bit of mesquite although I don't use it as often as I should I guess. I do have a Paisano (AEB-L) in the works currently that will have mesquite for the handle. I was thinking of adding ironwood spacers to it but haven't decided 100 percent yet. We have lots of mesquite here in the house:

wMjvDNr.jpg

TRFUfiB.jpg

We get most of our furniture from a store down the hill called Mi Hacienda. We've bought from them for years. They have most of the furniture made in Mexico and then they finish it here in their shop before they put it into their store. Enrique, the owner doesn't speak a lot of English and my Spanish is poor although I understand more than I speak. I've made Enrique knives for years and he takes them with him when he makes his bi annual runs to Mexico to pick up furniture. One of his makers gave him these two boards to give to me for knife handles.

3xDWKsm.jpg

The one on the right is mesquite and was about 8 ft tall, 3 inches thick and 12-14 inches wide. Lots of mesquite. The board on the left was an unknown. It was very heavy and ironwood hard. Enrique didn't know what it was and I think he was telling me that the furniture maker didn't know either. Both of these boards hung around my shop for a month or so before I got around to cutting them up into smaller storable pieces. As soon as I cut into the unknown board I knew what it was. It smelled like dill pickles when cut (no really) and a bright gold /yellow sawdust. Turned the piece over so I could see the cut and that confirmed it.

LFtt6Fv.jpg

Bocote. Bocote that had been aging for a long, long time. Here's the knife I made for Enrique for giving me all that bocote and mesquite:

PK2Rj3q.jpg

And this one for his son who does most of the translating and helps load the furniture cause he's bout 8'12" between the eyes. He's a big dude:

e7NEHAz.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jack! Ya know I looked at the Stormy Kromer, LL Bean and Filson as well as some vintage Pendletons. Good to know about the SK as it was in the finals. But after really looking at em I think the Cattle Baron from Schaffer suits me the best. Course every cowboy has a Stormy Kromer cap. On top of the pile here and there's that sweater too, an LL Bean:

I6nlIEB.jpg
I noticed you had a Stormy Kromer on the other day Dave :cool: I understand they got taken over a few years back, and the clothing is pretty recent. Certain amount of marketing BS on their site, and definitely on that of the UK seller, but I didn't know that before buying the coat. I like the vest, though it runs a bit big on me, but the pockets on the coat are so hopeless, I have to carry a satchel if I'm wearing it. The cloth is nice, but there isn't much of it! :rolleyes: My Navy Pea Coat is warmer, and cost a fraction of the price. Filson's Mackinaw kind of doubled in price here, but it looks to be a much better coat than the SK. In the mid 80's, a rich lady I was looking after used to bring me L.L. Bean gear back from the USA, (I remember the Northwoods Shirt, which was about as thick as a carpet! :D). I can't get it here anymore now, and Orvis have stopped selling clothing here too. I have some Swanndri gear, but it's no longer made in New Zealand. I also looked at a local firm, but took a dislike to some of the marketing BS on their site, (you'd think they invented wool), and the faff of ordering. I also figured their clothing might be cut for hipsters! For a guy who spent much of his working life appraising outdoor gear, I've bought a few lemons lately! 😖😁
Funny deal about them Mestanos:

Right before I went out to feed this morning, a buddy in Arizona sent me this pic of a Mestano and siad that is one beautiful knife:

3YpmBym.jpg

I came back in and it had sold. Not to my buddy but to another guy in Arizona whom I don't know. Just seemed kinda funny to me them both being interested in the same knife at the same time and both being in AZ!. I agree they act like a bigger knife then they are. If ya look close its a scaled down Cowboy.
It certainly is a beautiful knife Dave :) :thumbsup:
I've got quite a bit of mesquite although I don't use it as often as I should I guess. I do have a Paisano (AEB-L) in the works currently that will have mesquite for the handle. I was thinking of adding ironwood spacers to it but haven't decided 100 percent yet. We have lots of mesquite here in the house:

wMjvDNr.jpg

TRFUfiB.jpg

We get most of our furniture from a store down the hill called Mi Hacienda. We've bought from them for years. They have most of the furniture made in Mexico and then they finish it here in their shop before they put it into their store. Enrique, the owner doesn't speak a lot of English and my Spanish is poor although I understand more than I speak. I've made Enrique knives for years and he takes them with him when he makes his bi annual runs to Mexico to pick up furniture. One of his makers gave him these two boards to give to me for knife handles.
I love your furniture, that's a beautiful table :cool: :thumbsup:
3xDWKsm.jpg

The one on the right is mesquite and was about 8 ft tall, 3 inches thick and 12-14 inches wide. Lots of mesquite. The board on the left was an unknown. It was very heavy and ironwood hard. Enrique didn't know what it was and I think he was telling me that the furniture maker didn't know either. Both of these boards hung around my shop for a month or so before I got around to cutting them up into smaller storable pieces. As soon as I cut into the unknown board I knew what it was. It smelled like dill pickles when cut (no really) and a bright gold /yellow sawdust. Turned the piece over so I could see the cut and that confirmed it.

LFtt6Fv.jpg

Bocote. Bocote that had been aging for a long, long time. Here's the knife I made for Enrique for giving me all that bocote and mesquite:

PK2Rj3q.jpg

And this one for his son who does most of the translating and helps load the furniture cause he's bout 8'12" between the eyes. He's a big dude:

e7NEHAz.jpg
LOL! :D Cool story my friend, and another couple of great-looking knives :) :thumbsup:

I noticed you had a Stormy Kromer on the other day Dave :cool: I understand they got taken over a few years back, and the clothing is pretty recent. Certain amount of marketing BS on their site, and definitely on that of the UK seller, but I didn't know that before buying the coat. I like the vest, though it runs a bit big on me, but the pockets on the coat are so hopeless, I have to carry a satchel if I'm wearing it. The cloth is nice, but there isn't much of it! :rolleyes: My Navy Pea Coat is warmer, and cost a fraction of the price. Filson's Mackinaw kind of doubled in price here, but it looks to be a much better coat than the SK. In the mid 80's, a rich lady I was looking after used to bring me L.L. Bean gear back from the USA, (I remember the Northwoods Shirt, which was about as thick as a carpet! :D). I can't get it here anymore now, and Orvis have stopped selling clothing here too. I have some Swanndri gear, but it's no longer made in New Zealand. I also looked at a local firm, but took a dislike to some of the marketing BS on their site, (you'd think they invented wool), and the faff of ordering. I also figured their clothing might be cut for hipsters! For a guy who spent much of his working life appraising outdoor gear, I've bought a few lemons lately! 😖😁

It certainly is a beautiful knife Dave :) :thumbsup:

I love your furniture, that's a beautiful table :cool: :thumbsup:

LOL! :D Cool story my friend, and another couple of great-looking knives :) :thumbsup:
I wear that Stormy Kromer all the time. Got it on right now. We just call em winter caps. Nichole use to have an embroidery machine so she did our brand on it for me. I didn't know they'd done clothing until you showed your jacket that time. Interesting about the fit in the shoulders. I have been a big Pendleton Wool western shirt fan for years. Very spendy but generational shirts. Really its all I can remember my grandfather and uncles (ranching in Oregon) wearing if it wasn't summer. I've got several in the closet one some decades old. They are durable and warm. I've been bucked off in em and all kinds of stuff and they keep on keeping on. So a couple of years ago I got one for Christmas. Same size as my others XL Tall. But it fit completely different. So I got on their website and found out that they had "modernized the fit." Which means I couldn't hardly lift my arm up to even with my shoulder. Might work ok for a guy lifting a cup of coffee in his cubicle in Seattle but come on this is a western shirt. It even says High Grade Western Wear on the label. I couldn't swing a rope in this thing to save my life. One of my old ones:

nNGJv5O.jpg

Lifting your arm that high in the new one....impossible. Fit everywhere else is the same. Go figure. Yeah I don't know what the Filson Mackinaw is there but they are $500 here and while kinda popular in the cowboy world, they are pricing themselves out and a little dated.

Thank you sir both for the knife and the furniture compliments! Do have to tell you the funny story on the "Epic Desk". We wanted a desk to fit along a wall in a spare bedroom so that Nichole could use it as her office and still have a bed in there for guests. The previous desk was L shaped and came off the wall into the center of the room enough that you couldn't have a bed in there too. So we measured this and measured that. Nichole was specific about her two 27" monitors and printer etc etc. Enrigue"s wife, Elma took our chicken scratching and translated into a great drawing with measurements and into Spanish as well, and a chair to match. They sent it off to one of their makers down by Guadalajara. Months later got a call that it was ready and they would be delivering it. When they were part way up the hill Nichole asks me. "Did we ever measure the doorway into the room? " Oh heck no! Course its 29"s and bout that time they pull up with a large cargo trailer. The desk at its narrowest is 32"s. Ain't gonna work. Plan B: So our Cantina became the office and the Epic desk is on the other wall facing the bar above.. As Enrigue and his mountainous son are edging it into the cantina, Nichole says "Does any one else have such a large desk?" And I replied: " Maybe JR on Dallas!" And its been called the epic desk ever since:. Nichole is quite a bit younger then me. Not sure she got the JR thing!

Y6hwRdo.jpg

A Cowboy Toothpick:

oFRZkt7.jpg

Handled in Bubinga.

JUlcezO.jpg

Last edited:
I wear that Stormy Kromer all the time. Got it on right now. We just call em winter caps. Nichole use to have an embroidery machine so she did our brand on it for me.
That's pretty cool Dave, I was wondering about the embroidery :cool:
I didn't know they'd done clothing until you showed your jacket that time.
That seems to happen a lot when companies get taken over, they use a well-respected name to sell stuff they never earned a reputation for. At least SK do make it I understand, in the USA, and pay their workers right :thumbsup:
Interesting about the fit in the shoulders.
Yeah, when I spoke to the UK guy on the phone, I specifically told him I wanted the coat for hiking, and working outdoors in :rolleyes:
I have been a big Pendleton Wool western shirt fan for years. Very spendy but generational shirts. Really its all I can remember my grandfather and uncles (ranching in Oregon) wearing if it wasn't summer. I've got several in the closet one some decades old. They are durable and warm. I've been bucked off in em and all kinds of stuff and they keep on keeping on. So a couple of years ago I got one for Christmas. Same size as my others XL Tall. But it fit completely different. So I got on their website and found out that they had "modernized the fit." Which means I couldn't hardly lift my arm up to even with my shoulder. Might work ok for a guy lifting a cup of coffee in his cubicle in Seattle but come on this is a western shirt. It even says High Grade Western Wear on the label. I couldn't swing a rope in this thing to save my life. One of my old ones:

nNGJv5O.jpg
They sound good, but they seem to undersize a lot of stuff like that these days, Barbour do the same, and my recent 5.11 shirts are half the size of the old ones. I find the SK coat very short, and it was only after I bought it that SK do two different lengths, but the UK guy, whose just importing stuff on the side, only sells the one length. Cool pic Dave :cool: :thumbsup:
Lifting your arm that high in the new one....impossible. Fit everywhere else is the same. Go figure. Yeah I don't know what the Filson Mackinaw is there but they are $500 here and while kinda popular in the cowboy world, they are pricing themselves out and a little dated.
About £550 here I think Dave :( I designed a Ventile climbing smock years ago, got a good underarm gusset, so you can lift your arms vertically, with ease :thumbsup:
Thank you sir both for the knife and the furniture compliments! Do have to tell you the funny story on the "Epic Desk". We wanted a desk to fit along a wall in a spare bedroom so that Nichole could use it as her office and still have a bed in there for guests. The previous desk was L shaped and came off the wall into the center of the room enough that you couldn't have a bed in there too. So we measured this and measured that. Nichole was specific about her two 27" monitors and printer etc etc. Enrigue"s wife, Elma took our chicken scratching and translated into a great drawing with measurements and into Spanish as well, and a chair to match. They sent it off to one of their makers down by Guadalajara. Months later got a call that it was ready and they would be delivering it. When they were part way up the hill Nichole asks me. "Did we ever measure the doorway into the room? " Oh heck no! Course its 29"s and bout that time they pull up with a large cargo trailer. The desk at its narrowest is 32"s. Ain't gonna work. Plan B: So our Cantina became the office and the Epic desk is on the other wall facing the bar above.. As Enrigue and his mountainous son are edging it into the cantina, Nichole says "Does any one else have such a large desk?" And I replied: " Maybe JR on Dallas!" And its been called the epic desk ever since:. Nichole is quite a bit younger then me. Not sure she got the JR thing!

Y6hwRdo.jpg
LOL! :D That is certainly an EPIC desk. I had a friend whose father was a designer, and when he passed, she wanted me to have the desk he'd had made - and his Ealing Comedy DVD collection! :D It was actually about the same size as yours Dave, far too big for my office, and what a piece of junk! :D I didn't want to cut it down, but I found a use for it, as it came apart, and periodically ask her if she'd like it back! 🤞:rolleyes:🤣:thumbsup:

I was just looking at something I was given by someone I'd done a favour for last week, a 4ft long traditional English copper hunting horn! :D Let me know if it'd be useful for calling home the cows! 🤣:thumbsup:
A Cowboy Toothpick:

oFRZkt7.jpg

Handled in Bubinga.

JUlcezO.jpg
I bet that makes one heck of a nice steak knife Dave :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Just adding a couple of pics to dress up my previous undecorated posts.
U05tNEG.jpg

This is a very handy Brusletto that came from Jack Black.

That's pretty cool Dave, I was wondering about the embroidery :cool:

That seems to happen a lot when companies get taken over, they use a well-respected name to sell stuff they never earned a reputation for. At least SK do make it I understand, in the USA, and pay their workers right :thumbsup:

Yeah, when I spoke to the UK guy on the phone, I specifically told him I wanted the coat for hiking, and working outdoors in :rolleyes:

They sound good, but they seem to undersize a lot of stuff like that these days, Barbour do the same, and my recent 5.11 shirts are half the size of the old ones. I find the SK coat very short, and it was only after I bought it that SK do two different lengths, but the UK guy, whose just importing stuff on the side, only sells the one length. Cool pic Dave :cool: :thumbsup:

About £550 here I think Dave :( I designed a Ventile climbing smock years ago, got a good underarm gusset, so you can lift your arms vertically, with ease :thumbsup:

LOL! :D That is certainly an EPIC desk. I had a friend whose father was a designer, and when he passed, she wanted me to have the desk he'd had made - and his Ealing Comedy DVD collection! :D It was actually about the same size as yours Dave, far too big for my office, and what a piece of junk! :D I didn't want to cut it down, but I found a use for it, as it came apart, and periodically ask her if she'd like it back! 🤞:rolleyes:🤣:thumbsup:

I was just looking at something I was given by someone I'd done a favour for last week, a 4ft long traditional English copper hunting horn! :D Let me know if it'd be useful for calling home the cows! 🤣:thumbsup:

I bet that makes one heck of a nice steak knife Dave :cool: :) :thumbsup:
Hadn't ever thought of that use for the Cowboy Toothpick but it certainly would. Did just finished a set of steak knives for my SIL.

oZChouv.jpg

qXhkU4d.jpg

Sonokoling Rosewood on the handles.

My Navy Pea Coat is warmer, and cost a fraction of the price. Filson's Mackinaw kind of doubled in price here, but it looks to be a much better coat than the SK.
That's why you've gotta go for vintage wool on ebay.
I've been unhappy with most modern wool, it's hard to find anything past 24oz, the majority of it is a looser milled fabric with lots of pilling, and the cost of the better stuff is insane.
I bought a Schaffer outfitters Cattle baron vest back in December and the quality is pretty good, but it's a tad too small.

I bought this late 40's woolrich 503 on Ebay for $100 a couple months ago and it's amazing, vintage stuff is definitely the way to go.
Pendleton wool is still well done, but I think they top out at 24oz and while the wool is milled here in the US their clothing itself is made overseas somewhere

And just to keep this on topic, here's an old Buck 102 that I rehandled in brass and walnut.

Back