Let's see your leather pants!!!

Nothing like a mirror polished convex razor edge tomfinish off a project!!

The entire package will be on its way tonchiral on monday!

Awesome :cool: What a worthwhile way to wait for the S!Ks to come in, partaking of the craftsmanship of some fellow forumites! Looking forward to that package, Riz! :thumbup:

Geography is stupid. It would be such a blast to get together and jabber about knife and sheath making techniques. I see a half dozen things I want to poke Riz's head about with his sheaths. YouTube is cool, but it's limited. Those are some pretty, clean lines Riz.

Geography is stupid. It would be such a blast to get together and jabber about knife and sheath making techniques. I see a half dozen things I want to poke Riz's head about with his sheaths. YouTube is cool, but it's limited. Those are some pretty, clean lines Riz.

I agree! Ask away bro! I will answer anything.

Very well sir, on the night of....

Never mind. I had something funny and it just slipped away.

Chiral the sheath and knife have been shipped to you but I couldnt get a message to you because of the new forum software. Lemme know when it arrives.

Hmmm.... I must admit, not too impressed with this media-embed feature. Then again, Google's photo-sharing service is awful as well. Let's see what I can do...

Can everybody see the photo below?

jvtuqny

And looking at that glue on my belt loop bugs me. I should have cleaned it up better before it set. I gotta say, Grogs sheath has some fine details! Wet forming, tapered end to his loop, of course there is the stamped pattern too. I think he won!

There are some fine details to both!

Awesome stuff about Grog's sheath:
1) nice dye-job :cool: the color is really neat
2) the stitching on the front is so nice, as is the basket-weave and shell stamping. The fact that the stitch line on the back isn't perfect just adds character to the piece. And how the stamp wraps just that little bit around the fold of the sheath, how it keeps that nice even distance form the seam/stitching, and how it tops out right below where the wet-form starts to curve for the handle.
3) Oh that wet-form! The sheath owns the knife now.
4) the taper and stitch of the belt-loop. It goes on easy, evenly, and nothing inside to scratch at the knife.
5) the polished finish of the edge/seam/welt all the way to the sealed nose
6) the taper of the entire sheath - note how the profile narrows gently from mouth to tip. Man, do I ever appreciate that :thumbsup:

Two weird things about Grog's sheath:
a) the waviness of the belt-loop - I guess you'd have to end up with something like that since you wet-form it after the loop is sewn down, so the loop gets clamped too :)
b) the top of the welt at the mouth of the sheath is just squared-off with a gap there

Riz's sheath:
1) Simple. I asked each of these guys for a simple fold-over leather pouch-sheath, black or brown. Grog went crazy and basket-weaved and dyed and ... While Riz stuck to the basics and delivered :cool:
2) It's close, but Riz's stitching on the back is straighter than Grogs :D The guy posted pics of a leather sheath with those nice straight stitches and the border cut around them - THAT was why i asked him to make me a sheath. Looks good, doesn't it? :cool:
3) Riz's belt-loop is fine - I actually prefer the width on his to Grogs for its stiffness, and the 'stripe' stitching is again excellent. You can't see the glue when I'm wearing it ;)
4) No wet-form on this one which, while less amazing than Grogs, means that I may use this sheath for my 4.1 when it arrives! In fact, I'm going to start trying out all my knives in this size... However, the sheath fits nice and tight, no wiggle and the knife isn't sliding out without my meaning for it to.
5) the seam, while not as refined as Grog's, is well rounded and tight, and ends with a drainage-hole at the tip (more practical, really, than a sealed tip) but what is really nice is the shape of the welt at the mouth! It may not be obvious to folk, but the welt, which starts right at the mouth of the sheath, is tapered to guide the knife handle in. Grog, you should take lessons from Riz on that one :D
6) Not that you can tell from those photos, but the knife in the Rizzo sheath was sharper when it got back to me, and I definitely sent it out dull... just sayin' :D

Now that the forum re-vamp is mostly done with, I hope some folk find time to drop in with more pics of leather sheaths, esp. on S!K blades. And I gotta get back to work :p Here's to two awesome sheath makers!

Thanks for the kind words Chiral! Funny that qualities you pointed out are the things that I like in a leather sheath.

-Simplicity
-Stiff
-A wide welt that guides the knife into the sheath which I dont have to worry about cutting through
-a wide, stiff belt loop
-a drain hole

Also just so you know the sheath got a heavy coating of Obenauff's leather oil on the outside. Then once that is dry, I cover the drain hole and fill it with obenauff's. Let it sit for a couple minutes and then drain it. This leaves a thick layer of the oil on the inside. Then the sheath sits overnight to absorb the oil before the knife goes in. This should make the sheath quite water resistant and keep the leather durable for a long time, while precenting drying out.

I hope you get good use out of it and please let us know if it fits your 4.1 when you get it.

Those both look so good! Seriously, my hat's off to you guys that can do that :cool:

On a different note, I can't remember seeing Grog since the changeover. Grog are you out there buddy?!

Hey Dave, Grog is fine. I have texted with him a few times in the interim. If you miss him and are concerned, you can give him your number but be forewarned that he lives the life of a vampire. Are you open to chatting like 3 AM Mountain Time? :D

P.S. Regarding the other thread on CPK, I did PM ColdOne to tell him of what you had stated openly, before you did and also apologized for having come across a bit (or more?) d*ckish ;)

Are you open to chatting like 3 AM Mountain Time? :D

Hahaha! No!! I cannot hang with Grog in the early morning hours and have no problem admitting it :D I'm glad he's doing good, thanks for letting me know :thumbsup:

ColdOne is a friend from [strike]the Swamp[/strike] Busse. He's a good guy and I'm sure will get you figured out once he knows you. :D Speaking seriously, I appreciate folks giving me the benefit of the doubt when things are questionable, and I definitely gave you the benefit of the doubt there, knowing where your heart is. All good here my friend. But good on ya for shooting him a PM :thumbsup: Cheers Mat!

Last edited:
Back