Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by pistonsandgears, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Official Issue BSA. OH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fodderwing, WinonaRail and neal70 like this.
  2. wazu013

wazu013

Dec 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

neal70 likes this.
  3. Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    A few more Official BSA. OH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WinonaRail and neal70 like this.
  4. Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    Some camp knife variations. Got some others, but evidently never took pictures - I'll get around to doing that eventually. OH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

neal70 and afishhunter like this.
  5. wazu013

wazu013

Dec 14, 2011
    Imperial 5 tool
    [​IMG]
    Boker Flamed Chestnut
    [​IMG]

6. swaybacksteve

swaybacksteve

Apr 7, 2015
    OH and wazu nice looking scout/campers.

I really like the wood covers... like on the Ulster and on the Boker[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks, abbydaddy. :) The GS knife was pretty cruddy when I got it, but it cleaned up OK. Need to glue the shield on, though; came loose sometime since I acquired the knife.

Thanks, Steve. Does your Forest Master have an awl, or is it a 3-tool model?
    You seem to be focusing on some of the details, too! ;) I know r8shell has one of those smooth pale green GS knives. I agree with you that the jigged ones are a nicer, bolder color. I'm kind of surprised you could see the name on the bolster; that's one of my favorite things! :D I haven't carried it lately and haven't checked, but I think the name is "Dianna R." :cool:

+5K !! :thumbup::thumbup:

- GT

neal70 likes this.
  8. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I wonder if she still misses that knife. It may have been her very first knife.

9. swaybacksteve

swaybacksteve

Apr 7, 2015
    GT: the forest master has the awl...also has the chain and compass package[emoji108]

neal70 likes this.
  10. swaybacksteve

swaybacksteve

Apr 7, 2015
    Remington R4 with a Western post boulder

[​IMG]

Love the swedge on that spear[emoji1417][emoji3]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  11. Buzzbait

Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    Those Camillus Western S-901's are great knives, if you can find one in good condition. I'm not sure why, but there are tons of them out there that have been badly beaten up. It's as if people intentionally took out there anger on Western camp knives.

My brother-in-law carried a Western S901 through years and years of Boy Scouts. Then it went to my wife, when she went away to forestry school. That knife has been used a thousand times over. It's now back in the hands of my brother-in-law. A fresh replacement sits in the coffee table drawer in our family room, for my wife to grab whenever she needs a knife around the house.

Bloefield and Wardo46 like this.
  12. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Thanks Wazu... I swatted at this thing several times with no success, thinking that's one tough bug!!! :confused:... and then it occurred to me that it somehow got inside the LCD!! :eek:... and then finally I had that DUH moment! :D

[​IMG]

On topic, those are some very nice knives. I especially like the 45s. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    afishhunter and BigJim2x like this.
  13. swaybacksteve

swaybacksteve

Apr 7, 2015
    Wazu: Like A.L. says nice knives. I especially want to note that the Rough Rider, with those scales, fits in real well with that group.

Buzz: I corrected the term from sledge to swedge, but your words on how the Westerns were used is pretty much like a sledge were used on many that I have seen. Finding a good shape Western Boulder is harder than some. And I did not know that this Western was made by Camillus. I know they moved out of Boulder to Longmont in the late 70s? since I live in Co. I should track one down.

neal70 likes this.
  14. Buzzbait

Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    I'm kind of assuming that it's a Camillus, based on the jigging and the tang stamp. I could be wrong though. The Colorado Westerns that I've held and seen usually look and feel quite a bit different than the Camillus models.

15. Buzzbait

Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    Wow. Forget what I said. After doing some research, I'm completely befuddled as to how to identify a Camillus-made S901. It's possible that Camillus may have made them under contract for Western, even back when Western was still in business.

16. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    An old Schrade Cut Co Scout, heavily patina'd with full blades and no wobble. Perfect peachseed covers and flat steel bail:thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    Re: Western S-901

To my knowledge, the tell-tale signs of Western-produced S-901 Camp/Utility knives (at least from mid-1960s to 1982, based on Western catalog re-prints of that era) are the long pulls on the spear master blade, can opener and bottle opener.

Steve, I believe your knife was made by Western, either in Boulder or Longmont (Western moved into the Longmont factory by Spring 1978).

Coleman owned Western Cutlery from 1984-1990. The 1986 Western catalog shows no S-901 (don't know if it was discontinued or just didn't make the cut for the catalog). I don't know if Camillus produced any Western-branded Camp/Utility knives during the Coleman ownership period, but if they did they would most likely have used Camillus tooling.

Camillus acquired the Western brand in 1991. To my knowledge, Camillus did not make Western-branded camp/utility knives after the acquisition.

hsherzfeld and Bloefield like this.
  18. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    Paul, that old Schrade is a beauty! :) :thumbup: :thumbup:

19. Vinifera

Vinifera

Aug 13, 2015
    Circa 1958-1962 Imperial Scout.

[​IMG]

Fodderwing likes this.
  20. swaybacksteve

swaybacksteve

Apr 7, 2015
    MMMonk thanks for the info! Didn't Colman own Kabar for a while also? So much to learn.

Venifera nice to see an early Imperial
    Paul that Schrade really did know how to do peach seed jigging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk