Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Official Issue BSA. OH

Imperial_Official_BSA_Pocketknife.JPG

Imperial_Official_Scout_-_carved_emblem_2_.JPG

Camillus_Cub_Scout.jpg

Camillus_Official_BSA_-_Leaders_Knife.jpg

Camillus_Official_Eagle_Scout.JPG

OH and wazu nice looking scout/campers.

I really like the wood covers... like on the Ulster and on the Boker[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that Girl Scout knife. I've never seen one before. I will have to look into those. How very neat.
Thanks, abbydaddy. :) The GS knife was pretty cruddy when I got it, but it cleaned up OK. Need to glue the shield on, though; came loose sometime since I acquired the knife.

GT: Thanks for noticing the small things that set some of these scouts apart. The more I look into the scout...the more I see variants, even within the relatively new ones. Camillus made so many knives under contract...really a shame they went under. And like Bussbait, the C4 is one of my favorites...along with the Remingtons.
I think that a multi blade knife for multiple uses beyond cutting counts as a scout, so the Sheffield is in. And the Girl Scouts I have noticed had smooth pale green scales, those jigged ones have a nice hue of green. looks like "deanna" took pretty good care of it.:p:thumbup:
Thanks, Steve. Does your Forest Master have an awl, or is it a 3-tool model?
You seem to be focusing on some of the details, too! ;) I know r8shell has one of those smooth pale green GS knives. I agree with you that the jigged ones are a nicer, bolder color. I'm kind of surprised you could see the name on the bolster; that's one of my favorite things! :D I haven't carried it lately and haven't checked, but I think the name is "Dianna R." :cool:

OH and wazu nice looking scout/campers.
+5K !! :thumbup::thumbup:

- GT

I wonder if she still misses that knife. It may have been her very first knife.

GT: the forest master has the awl...also has the chain and compass package[emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remington R4 with a Western post boulder

Love the sledge on that spear[emoji1417][emoji3]

Those Camillus Western S-901's are great knives, if you can find one in good condition. I'm not sure why, but there are tons of them out there that have been badly beaten up. It's as if people intentionally took out there anger on Western camp knives.

My brother-in-law carried a Western S901 through years and years of Boy Scouts. Then it went to my wife, when she went away to forestry school. That knife has been used a thousand times over. It's now back in the hands of my brother-in-law. A fresh replacement sits in the coffee table drawer in our family room, for my wife to grab whenever she needs a knife around the house.

Thanks Wazu... I swatted at this thing several times with no success, thinking that's one tough bug!!! :confused:... and then it occurred to me that it somehow got inside the LCD!! :eek:... and then finally I had that DUH moment! :D

Ui8EVmM.gif

On topic, those are some very nice knives. I especially like the 45s. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited:
Wazu: Like A.L. says nice knives. I especially want to note that the Rough Rider, with those scales, fits in real well with that group.

Buzz: I corrected the term from sledge to swedge, but your words on how the Westerns were used is pretty much like a sledge were used on many that I have seen. Finding a good shape Western Boulder is harder than some. And I did not know that this Western was made by Camillus. I know they moved out of Boulder to Longmont in the late 70s? since I live in Co. I should track one down.

Wazu: Buzz: I corrected the term from sledge to swedge, but your words on how the Westerns were used is pretty much like a sledge were used on many that I have seen. Finding a good shape Western Boulder is harder than some. And I did not know that this Western was made by Camillus. I know they moved out of Boulder to Longmont in the late 70s? since I live in Co. I should track one down.

I'm kind of assuming that it's a Camillus, based on the jigging and the tang stamp. I could be wrong though. The Colorado Westerns that I've held and seen usually look and feel quite a bit different than the Camillus models.

I'm kind of assuming that it's a Camillus, based on the jigging and the tang stamp. I could be wrong though.

Wow. Forget what I said. After doing some research, I'm completely befuddled as to how to identify a Camillus-made S901. It's possible that Camillus may have made them under contract for Western, even back when Western was still in business.

Re: Western S-901

To my knowledge, the tell-tale signs of Western-produced S-901 Camp/Utility knives (at least from mid-1960s to 1982, based on Western catalog re-prints of that era) are the long pulls on the spear master blade, can opener and bottle opener.

Steve, I believe your knife was made by Western, either in Boulder or Longmont (Western moved into the Longmont factory by Spring 1978).

Coleman owned Western Cutlery from 1984-1990. The 1986 Western catalog shows no S-901 (don't know if it was discontinued or just didn't make the cut for the catalog). I don't know if Camillus produced any Western-branded Camp/Utility knives during the Coleman ownership period, but if they did they would most likely have used Camillus tooling.

Camillus acquired the Western brand in 1991. To my knowledge, Camillus did not make Western-branded camp/utility knives after the acquisition.

MMMonk thanks for the info! Didn't Colman own Kabar for a while also? So much to learn.

Venifera nice to see an early Imperial
Paul that Schrade really did know how to do peach seed jigging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back