Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Re: Western S-901

To my knowledge, the tell-tale signs of Western-produced S-901 Camp/Utility knives (at least from mid-1960s to 1982, based on Western catalog re-prints of that era) are the long pulls on the spear master blade, can opener and bottle opener.

Steve, I believe your knife was made by Western, either in Boulder or Longmont (Western moved into the Longmont factory by Spring 1978).

Coleman owned Western Cutlery from 1984-1990. The 1986 Western catalog shows no S-901 (don't know if it was discontinued or just didn't make the cut for the catalog). I don't know if Camillus produced any Western-branded Camp/Utility knives during the Coleman ownership period, but if they did they would most likely have used Camillus tooling.

Camillus acquired the Western brand in 1991. To my knowledge, Camillus did not make Western-branded camp/utility knives after the acquisition.

I have a Western made "Demo" knife with the same tang stamp. ("WESTERN" over "USA".) According to a Western Tang Stamp chart I found online, this stamp was used c.1961 - 1977.
My Western "Demo" knife may well be the one given to me by my uncle, in 1962 or 63, when he got out of the Army, or the one issued to me by the Army Reserves, in 1975. Either way, I thought them both lost.

I would think these two Bokers would fit here, the winzermesser is my wifes and the jagdmesser is mine. Both are very well made, 440C, olive wood and nice, even stag.

boker-jpg.700895

bfboker-jpg.700896

bfboker2-jpg.700897

bfboker3-jpg.700904

Attachments

• Boker.jpg
    Boker.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 352
  • BFBoker.jpg
    BFBoker.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 352
  • BFBoker2.jpg
    BFBoker2.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 349
  • BFBoker3.jpg
    BFBoker3.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 348
I have really enjoyed looking through here guys- some outstanding Knives!!! Even when these old Scouts get old and worn they still attract me hugely!
The Older Ulsters,GEC's,Catts ( Wow), Camillus's, Charlies amazing Robeson Scout- Oh Man thats a Sweetheart of a Knife, The awesome Bokers, The Case Rec Bone Scout examples - I now have a new "Go after" Knife now after viewing those stunners!....where do you stop?
After seeing Herders Beautiful Example of his Imperial Deluxe, I had to show this version- this one being a beautiful Wood Scaled one. This knife as Herder would find with his is an extremely well built knife that will stand toe to toe with any other knife shown on this thread - as in in the making of it, it really is an outstanding Knife and I am sure glad to own it!

Next is a Camillus Sword Brand, Well used - But still IMO a lovely looking Knife, Gorgeous warm bone, Spiral Punch - just awesome! ( A gift from Mr. Hilborn!) I really like this Old Girl..
Photobucket just went down....more to follow soon :)

Love those AG's everyone - wonderfully made Knives!!

Next up is a Stunning Craftsman ( Stamped: High Carbon Steel U.S.A ) by SEARS, I think that this will be Camillus Built FOR Sears – note the Spiral Punch.Not exactly a Scout Knife – but an almost one as it is a bit busier than a Cattle knife as well J5 Blades that nestle in so magnificently, a beautifully built Knife, The Bone is simply outstanding, features a Spiral Punch, an amazing short Spey with nice Swedges, Nice full Spear-Point Main with Etching still intact which reads : CRAFTSMAN (over ) STA- SHARP, a Nice Short Clip Point, and the last Blade being a nice thin long Pen Blade… A real Gem….

A beautiful Pal Cutlery ( Arched Stamp ) over Made in USA.As it goes - Stunning Bone from this era from PAL, I love the two piece Can Opener, Stout Screwdriver with Bottle Opener, Nice relatively full Main, and to finish off a nice sleek Pen. This lovely Pal is again a gift from Mr. Hilborn - note the white Specs of paint from Paul using this knife in his Restorative Deck Business! ( He does a darned good job too I can tell you first hand!!! )

Awesome Stag Weidmannsheil, whenever you see that name you can count on the Knife being a very nice one, I think this is a great example, Match-strike Pulls, The Mint Main has it all with the pull and lovely Swedge work, the Can Opener, Punch, Screw Driver& Bottle Opener combined all open with a 5 to 6 pull- Silky Smooth Walk and Talk… Love this Knife….

Last edited:
4, Quite a neat CRAFTSMAN by SEARS….. Very Stout Clip, has the usual combination of blades that have great Walk and Talk- this is a very underrated Knife, Beautifully Built! Scales are Saw Cut Hard Composition, Nickel Silver Hardware - there’s several lifetimes of use in this knife!

5, I have Two nice Old Bone 4 Line Camillus Scouts I picked up off the Bay, LOVE these Knives- as does everyone who owns them, built so well with Lovely Bone, Great Carbon Steel, Steel Liners, I don’t think a Scout Collection is complete without one of these Classic’s. Everything about these Knives is done well, they have stood the test of time, being the 4 line Stamped models, makes these knives around 80 years old!!:eek: PHOTOS OF THESE TWO TO FOLLOW- SORRY:oops:

6, Stamped “Made in U.S.A “ (Camillus made – for Sears ), slightly different in all tools / Blades to the other two 4 – Line Camillus’s. this one has the Stout Long Screwdriver / Bottle Opener Combo, Can Opener ( wee bit tipped off on bottom Jaw )- Nicely built- well used and still snaps like a Turtle. All Carbon Steel, Steel Liners and Lovely Warm worn Bone....
I bought this while coming out of the CANADIAN DESERT ( yep such a thing as we learnt lol )

Last edited:
3 Nice Scouts by Camillus, one Stamped Ulster (the Darker Brown Scaled Scout – you would almost swear that this is Bone ) The Black Non Bail Scout seems to be later Mosel- yet unused and sports the Phillips Screw Driver as an extra ( 5 bladed / Tooled )where the other two are 4, other than that these three are exact in every way apart from condition, I particularly like the raised Shields on this Model.

WOW!!! Charlies Texas Cap Knife, This is a Scout on heavy duty steroids!!!

The Main not only is one of the most attractive Big Clip-Points, but the Sharpest from factory. The Punch is a Punch that is not to be messed with, The Sheep’s-foot Secondary again is a Blade to respect and so to that unique Can opener, I plan to use carefully this knife soon!

This really is one outstanding knife!!

Also Photographed with Charlies amazing Texas camp Knife is this Camillus Made Remington- again one Huge beast of a Knife!!! But although this Knife has everything going for it- when compared to The Texas Camp Knife- in all areas it doesn’t quite match up to the Texan, in saying this- the Camillus is a Great Knife- and you would be proud to carry it- again this just shows you how good Charlies SFO is ( yet again ).

Nice collection, Duncan! Some real beauties there. That Weidmannsheil is looks excellent.

Back