LET'S SEE YOUR TANK or tool KNIVES.

My newest "tank" of a knife is this little beast I got from Kosa_PL here on the forum. .18" of ELMAX, 3.75" blade, solid tang, and saber grind make for one tough combination of features.
It had only seen some very light use when the picture was taken, but I just started putting it through the paces around our fire pit this past weekend and it's a solid performer.
IMG_7786.JPG

The WW2 UK Army Clasp knives were built like tanks too.

picture

Well, this is an interesting topic and got me going back through my Imgur files to pick out a few knives "built like tanks"--IE beefy, hard use models. My Hinderers all qualify, for sure, and my CRKs, save my Mnandi, are all really solid and built to put-to-work. Some of my ZTs, present and former, qualify as well as the odd one here and there. No flies on my Shiros either as at least a couple of them are in my regular work rotation.

The thing is, I don't usually find myself in situations where I need a knife to perform a task better achieved with a proper pry-bar, ax, saw, etc, as I usually have those tools handy at home, work, in the woods, or wherever. My knives tend to be used to cut things :rolleyes: in the more conventional sense.

Anyway, here's a few samples of knives built like tanks but used more like knives. This beast came to me like this--

ZZUOxYl.jpg

--but ended up a much better "matter separator" (nice term, @Shorttime ) after a trip to Josh at REK.

YNsrX30.jpg

This Les George ZT is a big tank of a folder as is its slimmer cousin the WC/LG Eagle.

AkFzlB8.jpg

Here's one I sold a while back, the mini-tank 0350. I kinda miss it, but it never got much carry.

b3litmg.jpg

What could be a more tank-like folder than one with a handle cut from a solid block of metal.

4J16sfQ.jpg

One more for now that's both one rugged piece of gear and a really good cutter too.

PIBdD6O.jpg

I'll dig out a few more later....

tank knives- aka take a beating and keep going, not talking about being a hammer of crow bar, just tough duty knives for tough jobs and trust
the knive to do the job . aka knives for hard use not for felt in a case

tank knives- aka take a beating and keep going, not talking about being a hammer of crow bar, just tough duty knives for tough jobs and trust
You could buy an AUS-8 Rat-1 by that definition. Or a Morakniv. No need to go the whole Adamas, really, pleasing as they may be to the eye.

Well...I don't use knives typically as a hammer or crowbar...I use a hammer or crowbar.

I do use my Vic Super Tinker just about every day, and I carry it with me because I trust it. (I can even pry with the screwdriver blade, but don't tell anybody).

It's a good 15 years old at this point, so it sounds like it fits the "tank" knife definition you have made up.

BTW...it helps one's "cred" on a knife discussion forum when they spell knife correctly. Take it or leave it....just putting it out there. :thumbsup:

You could buy an AUS-8 Rat-1 by that definition. Or a Morakniv. No need to go the whole Adamas, really, pleasing as they may be to the eye.

Or an AUS-8 Kabar Dozier Folding Hunter. In fact I did buy one and its great. It doesn't have green scales and the blade is not coated, but I have cut holes (stupidly) in drywall with it. Is that counting?

Trying to get my hear around your "tank" knife concept. I got a Mora too...lock has never failed on me.

knife Cred who would have thunk it , i do not think someone with old laptop with effed up key's can show cred but back on topic keep em comingp

Cheburkov Bulldog (Ti, M390)
anyone know the lenght of blade. this knife looks like it eff something up

Back