1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

LET'S SEE YOUR TANK or tool KNIVES.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ericdraven, Dec 11, 2018.

1. SharpieB

SharpieB Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Lots of new knives posted here.

My non safe queen, in tool steel, built like a tank knive is my ESEE6...

777E01C4-20B6-4EBA-9243-E3A553C6BFF7.jpeg A356FB1F-F55A-474C-B25F-4C7B93C4D022.jpeg

knoefz, lzeplin, MolokaiRider and 3 others like this.
  2. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    My newest "tank" of a knife is this little beast I got from Kosa_PL here on the forum. .18" of ELMAX, 3.75" blade, solid tang, and saber grind make for one tough combination of features.
    It had only seen some very light use when the picture was taken, but I just started putting it through the paces around our fire pit this past weekend and it's a solid performer.
    IMG_7786.JPG

3. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    The WW2 UK Army Clasp knives were built like tanks too.

[​IMG]

knoefz, issues, Lapedog and 1 other person like this.
  4. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    [​IMG]

That’s the only tank folding knife I’d say I own.. but if fixed blades are welcome I don’t see how anything could compete with a HI CAK.

[​IMG]

5. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Well, this is an interesting topic and got me going back through my Imgur files to pick out a few knives "built like tanks"--IE beefy, hard use models. My Hinderers all qualify, for sure, and my CRKs, save my Mnandi, are all really solid and built to put-to-work. Some of my ZTs, present and former, qualify as well as the odd one here and there. No flies on my Shiros either as at least a couple of them are in my regular work rotation.

The thing is, I don't usually find myself in situations where I need a knife to perform a task better achieved with a proper pry-bar, ax, saw, etc, as I usually have those tools handy at home, work, in the woods, or wherever. My knives tend to be used to cut things :rolleyes: in the more conventional sense.

Anyway, here's a few samples of knives built like tanks but used more like knives. This beast came to me like this--

[​IMG]

--but ended up a much better "matter separator" (nice term, @Shorttime ) after a trip to Josh at REK.

[​IMG]

This Les George ZT is a big tank of a folder as is its slimmer cousin the WC/LG Eagle.

[​IMG]

Here's one I sold a while back, the mini-tank 0350. I kinda miss it, but it never got much carry.

[​IMG]

What could be a more tank-like folder than one with a handle cut from a solid block of metal.

[​IMG]

One more for now that's both one rugged piece of gear and a really good cutter too.

[​IMG]

I'll dig out a few more later....

knoefz, lzeplin, MolokaiRider and 2 others like this.
  6. Turbo4x4

Turbo4x4 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Wow! I like this topic!
    And like tanks- fixed and folding!
    DSC_a0549.jpg DSC_a0550.jpg DSC_a0551.jpg DSC_a0552.jpg

knoefz, OilMan, lzeplin and 4 others like this.
  7. Czechnologist

Czechnologist Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 17, 2018
    [​IMG]

Tron2119, knoefz, Tommy-Chi and 2 others like this.
  8. 99cuts

99cuts

Apr 18, 2013
    Boker Vox Bobbi, my coconut opener

[​IMG]

9. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    I have a Cold Steel 4Max. You could probably use it as a tank trap.

10. ericdraven

ericdraven Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2013
    tank knives- aka take a beating and keep going, not talking about being a hammer of crow bar, just tough duty knives for tough jobs and trust
    the knive to do the job . aka knives for hard use not for felt in a case

Stephen W Huyssoon likes this.
  11. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    :rolleyes:

Well that clears that up.

marcinek likes this.
  12. ericdraven

Jan 31, 2013

o_O:thumbsup::cool:

13. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    You could buy an AUS-8 Rat-1 by that definition. Or a Morakniv. No need to go the whole Adamas, really, pleasing as they may be to the eye.

ericdraven likes this.
  14. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Well...I don't use knives typically as a hammer or crowbar...I use a hammer or crowbar.

I do use my Vic Super Tinker just about every day, and I carry it with me because I trust it. (I can even pry with the screwdriver blade, but don't tell anybody).

It's a good 15 years old at this point, so it sounds like it fits the "tank" knife definition you have made up.

BTW...it helps one's "cred" on a knife discussion forum when they spell knife correctly. Take it or leave it....just putting it out there. :thumbsup:

15. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Or an AUS-8 Kabar Dozier Folding Hunter. In fact I did buy one and its great. It doesn't have green scales and the blade is not coated, but I have cut holes (stupidly) in drywall with it. Is that counting?

Trying to get my hear around your "tank" knife concept. I got a Mora too...lock has never failed on me.

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  16. ericdraven

Jan 31, 2013
    knife Cred who would have thunk it , i do not think someone with old laptop with effed up key's can show cred but back on topic keep em comingp

Night Rider likes this.
  17. ericdraven

Jan 31, 2013
    Cheburkov Bulldog (Ti, M390)
    anyone know the lenght of blade. this knife looks like it eff something up

18. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    2.36 inches.

It will only eff up tiny things.

AntDog, RBid, dsalazar and 1 other person like this.
  19. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    56E8B79A-9334-4AEE-83E3-FFE4828BD890.jpeg

20. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    20180913_130300.jpg

Gotta love some jackhammer tool steel