Let's see your Traditional Case knives, old to new.

I picked this one up a couple of weeks ago from a friend and am just now getting around to posting it. It is a Case XX 6275SP "moose" with "red bone" covers. The "SP" designates the spey blade. The steel is CV and the liners and pins are nickel silver. The Case XX tang stamp dates from 1940 to 1964, but according to Steve Pfeiffer's book "The long-pull versions were made early in the Case XX years and are fairly rare." The pattern was discontinued at the end of 1990. The condition is a bit rough, but still a nice addition to my modest collection. My friend said he found it in an old shed. He is a knife maker but not a Case collector, so he was glad to send it to a good home for a very modest price.

49143844652_e8aac161fb_b.jpg

49143846247_0e32ffec75_b.jpg
We would all like to find gems like this.

I picked this one up a couple of weeks ago from a friend and am just now getting around to posting it. It is a Case XX 6275SP "moose" with "red bone" covers. The "SP" designates the spey blade. The steel is CV and the liners and pins are nickel silver. The Case XX tang stamp dates from 1940 to 1964, but according to Steve Pfeiffer's book "The long-pull versions were made early in the Case XX years and are fairly rare." The pattern was discontinued at the end of 1990. The condition is a bit rough, but still a nice addition to my modest collection. My friend said he found it in an old shed. He is a knife maker but not a Case collector, so he was glad to send it to a good home for a very modest price.

49143844652_e8aac161fb_b.jpg

49143846247_0e32ffec75_b.jpg
That is a GREAT knife right there Jeff..the beauty is it showing it's great patina'd character:thumbsup::cool:

This is a C61050 SAB swell-center folding hunter referred to by collectors as the “big Coke bottle” pattern. The "C" refers to the cap (lower bolster), and the "SAB" refers to the saber grind. This one is a Case XX USA four-dot from 1976. The covers are Pakkawood (jigged laminated wood), which was used exclusively on this pattern beginning with the Case XX USA ten-dot. I acquired this from the same friend who sold me the Case XX moose. He said that he bought it at a flea market. I really don't have a use for it, but it was "dirt cheap" and I just couldn't pass it up. :p

49143646936_7f343d3974_b.jpg

I went to a gun and knife show yesterday. There was one dealer there who had a very nice selection. He had just about all the fixed blade Bucks from the 102 to the 124, but sadly no 117, which I have been looking for. In the Case lineup he had some beautiful examples including some stag, red stag, and Damascus. He had a few that I've never heard of, such as a waiter's knife with corkscrew, capsule cutter, pen blade, and spear blade. We had a great time talking knives, and I bought this pocket worn whiskey bone CV muskrat. I really like it! It feels good in the hand and the CV sharpened up very nicely. I already have a tribal lock in the same covers and steel, so they will make a good pair. My tribal lock is patina'd all to heck -- can't decide yet whether or not to leave the muskrat shiny. (What appears to be a pattern on the blade in the photo is just a reflection of some branches.)

49222750388_bb2e3278c5_b.jpg

He did make one interesting comment -- I showed him my 2013 Case XX Select Wharncliffe mini trapper (Winterbottom jigged brick red bone, 1 of 250). He told me I shouldn't be carrying it and that I should put it away as a collector's piece! Nah, makes me feel good when it's in my pocket. :cool:

I see some current models can be purchased with engraved bolsters as an option. I haven't yet backtracked through the pages here for pictures, but I was wondering if anyone has these and likes them. I don't expect hand engraved quality, but wondering if they are more than a light etch and if they look nice?

I see some current models can be purchased with engraved bolsters as an option. I haven't yet backtracked through the pages here for pictures, but I was wondering if anyone has these and likes them. I don't expect hand engraved quality, but wondering if they are more than a light etch and if they look nice?

The few that I have seen I did not care for. They were too ornate for my taste, but that's strictly a personal opinion.

Back