Let's talk civil unrest/war weapons.

That's over 150 lbs for the rimfire ammo, and 1000 lbs for the 9 mm ammo, 300 lbs for the rifle ammo, and 200 lbs for the shotgun. Appx.
Hope your bug out vehicle can handle over 2000 lbs, unless you have a bomb shelter.
That's why I said I'm bugging in bugging out is a terrible idea. I'm already somewhere I can see people coming a long way off.

I think the big issue with guns over knives as a binary concept is that we don't really look at fighters being on their own.

So we can soldiers never need to stab people. But there are generally heaps of them. You run out of bullets or you get blind sided. Your friend should be there to shoot him.

The zombie apocalypse is potentially a different game. If you are on your own working through an abandoned building or something. You become incredibly vulnerable. And may get caught in a situation where you have to go to a mele weapon or actually be able to fight or something.

That's why I said I'm bugging in bugging out is a terrible idea. I'm already somewhere I can see people coming a long way off.

It depends. If for example there was an occupying army. Say you were in Afghanistan and suddenly heard the army left.

Leaving would be a lot safer.

A tomahawk , Waki and Fixed blade walk in to a bar.

The bar was destroyed and everything was killed.

Those are my 3 for the end days. Probably a hammer of some sort.

My preference would be a short cutlass, it was the all round melee weapon of its time, any blade favored by boarding parties in close quarters gets a tick for use against modern bad guys, commies or zombies. it saw the transition of light armor to firearms, has the reach to fence with the longer swords, uses same basic moves but simplfied and faster to learn , short enough for tight spaces, has hand protection, can thrust, cut and be made tough enough not to fall apart for occasional brush use.

I know I know , most can't even conceive it happening never mind consider it a possibility in the coming years to fruition . " The military qill quash it / the police will quash it " but the fact is those on the blue side of things are considering abolishing / defunding police blah blah blah . And lets not forget whats been happening in the cities across america this year.

This thread is however not about that . I dont want to talk politics this isnt the forum for that . Instead a scenario proposed then tools one may need.

The year is 2021 . XXXXXX has won the presidency . There is unrest . After one side confronts the other there are now open clashes in the streets . Many police have fled to protect their families . Military has been deployed in population centers but in suburban / rural areas there isnt quite the stability due to less troops.

Folks have burned through much of their ammo . And now primitive weapons are being used .

What would be a real world edged tool to defend yourself while you forage for food / move through the landscape ?

I was considering a katana but many serious blades and especially Nihonto are ALOT of money . I have about a grand or so to throw at this unlikely scenario . It will need to be a weapon that is tough . Not something that is tough but may need to be reprofiled.

There are the thatsuki nihanto kumori , Hanwei Tori XL , Zombie tools apokatana . Or would a wakazashi or perhaps a machete be more appropriate ? Perhaps even a swamp rat waki or rodent rucki .

Other tool that may be more appropriate for real world primative CQB ?

What say you ??

I can hear the *sighhhhh* even before I hit "create thread" however we do seem to be in a very fragile state in 2020 and who is to say what is to come.

So I would respectfully request refraining of " this againnnnnnn" type posts and focus more on the scenario proposed .

Thanks .
This is actually a really good thread and is one thing everyone should consider.

I wont get political either...but lets just say after what has happened over the last 2.5 years things are only going to get crazier.

Medical martial law will happen day i have no doubt..but i hope I'm wrong.

Food shortages is going to bring the worst out in people...hell people were fighting over the last packet of toilet paper in a shopping isle..so imagine what will happen when food runs out.
Foot and mouth disease is a dead set lie..food processing plants are being destroyed and farmers are being forced from their land so food shortages are going to happen.
I wont get into Ukraine but most know it's the food bowl for the EU.

As we have seen in many movies..it always comes down to steel.
Guns are noisy and guns can jam..knives on the other hand have so many uses and i believe everyone should carry one.

If i was a family man which I'm not but if i had kids i would make them all wear a neck knife.
I would get mannequins and have them knife the shit out of them..practice and more practice..become one with your blade of choice and learn how to strike with it, reverse grip, etc and if you can why not learn how to wield 2 of them, one in each hand.

Now for me my choice of weapon's would be a medieval hand and a half sword..custom forged and a gun stock war club like they used in the Last Of The Mohicans movie. also custom made, 5160 steel but light and it doesn't have to be sharp quite the opposite.
The sword doesn't need to be hair popping/paper cutting sharp..swing one of those at someone and their going to have a bad day..someone even seeing you with one would be crazy to even approach you.

The war club is for breaking bones, one strike anywhere is going to ruin their day

My Cold Steel tanto for CQB..it's an insane knife and it even intimidates my friends, i have to hide it when breaking out from the forest so the public don't see it, a 12" blade scares people.

I highly recommend to build a forge and start building as soon as you can, stock steel is fine just get your heat treat right and take your time and you'll find you will make something that will stand the test of time.

I would always have a neck knife..which reminds me i need to get another one i gave my last one away..plus my small pocket knife which has it's own case and fits onto my belt.

But if i could only carry one it would be the sword for it's not just the blade that can do damage, there's the pommel and guard also.

we have so much scientific knowledge now, there is no 'need' for the famine, but it will happen - (especially hard hit will be africa and the poorer areas of south asia)

sri lanka is a great example of what happens when politicians, and not science, take control of all laws...
(they outlawed fertilizer & pesticides... and now they're scrambling cuz farming output has been cut in half -> and they don't have enough $ to import enough food... this is a perfect example for the world to pay attention to, when you go 'green' or 'organic farming' without solid science or a proper implementation plan - you'll likely starve

you think inflation has been bad with us? we're only upto a total of 25-50% since the pandemic, but sri lanka is around 100% this year alone

darwin is still working his magic, I just hope most people actually learn before too many sri lanka examples happen
it's just sad that such strife has come to a land blessed in natural resources & continual growing seasons being a tropical climate

You’re all looking for solutions to a problem you can’t solve. Like dubstep, the mall ninja revolution never really ended, people just quit talking about it after like 2010. And United Cutlery has been outfitting this cadre of lethal urban “forces of one” this entire time.

You’re too late. Ammo, body armor, and weaponized Subaru Outbacks cannot save you. Your fancy katana will wet its own ito wrap when an incel dual-wielding neon green painted tactical spears bum rushes you from the darkened doorway of a once-thriving Game Stop location.

The future is now.

darwin is still working his magic, I just hope most people actually learn before too many sri lanka examples happen
it's just sad that such strife has come to a land blessed in natural resources & continual growing seasons being a tropical climate
Sri Lanka has been riven with ethnic strife and war pretty much since the Colonial powers started using it as a strategic resource hundreds of years ago. Politicians took a gamble that they could go organic and win big at the marketing game in the same way novice Vegas punters think they can beat the bank. It COULD have happened, and it could have paid off big, but it pays to listen to the scientists who are saying it's a ridiculously long shot.

You’re all looking for solutions to a problem you can’t solve. Like dubstep, the mall ninja revolution never really ended, people just quit talking about it after like 2010. And United Cutlery has been outfitting this cadre of lethal urban “forces of one” this entire time.

You’re too late. Ammo, body armor, and weaponized Subaru Outbacks cannot save you. Your fancy katana will wet its own ito wrap when an incel dual-wielding neon green painted tactical spears bum rushes you from the darkened doorway of a once-thriving Game Stop location.

The future is now.
Let's not get off topic here, this thread is about-civil unrest/war weapons.

No one is trying to solve anything and I'm not into fancy katana's. :)

Lets stay on topic because the OP has created a good thread here so let's not ruin it.

Given the post apocalyptic flavor of this thread, I think a good broadsword with a trick handle that extends would be a great idea. It would turn it into a zulu fighting spear. Spears are king in fights.

I haven’t given the breakdown much thought, but since you ask…
If the rotting corpses hanging in the trees doesn’t deter you, and you make it past the traps, and I do run out of ammo…

08F0810A-3CEF-4D10-BC5D-C3F2630A8688.jpeg

I’ll give you a nasty poke.

2112EFBD-3291-48A6-802A-138C16B56FFA.jpeg

Last edited:
Back