Let's talk civil unrest/war weapons.

I will be the only guy in this scenario with a functioning firearm and unlimited ammo (I nominate an AK-47).

You will all worship me.

I have a couple bows so my edged tools of choice would likely be on the end of thin shafts. Separation is good.

Might think about the implications of taking wounds when there's no decent medical care available .

I'd try to avoid contact .

Low profile , stealth , suppressed .22LR , archery etc . :cool:

I think I'd go spear, with a strong shaft that can be used like a staff as well. Maybe a hatchet for last ditch if things got too close. And a crossbow - Daryl style.

But really, running out of ammo? Probably won't happen while you're still alive unless you failed to stockpile a reasonable amount.

I will never be out of ammo. I learned to fight a war of attrition a long time ago
in a land far far away. Fight to the end....!

Tactical spear, maybe one with multiple points - trident, etc, and a tactical gladius or some other tactical short sword, but probably one with double edge that's good for thrusting as well as chopping. That's why I would tend to pick a gladius - double edged, but wide blade so you could actually use it for chopping. But, I would prefer to also have a forged camp axe or boys axe to use to actually chop wood rather than blunting my good close in blade. They would all be carbon steel rather than stainless so that I could easily sharpen them without electricity.
What about a magic helmet too?

There is quite a community of preppers and go-bag enthusiasts who are just waiting for the worst casse of SHTF as they put it.

I have done some reading and watched a few videos on this stuff. Plenty of different opinions out there. One constant that comes to my mind though is that no-one ever recommends a sword. Not a Katana, not a cutlass, not a machete. Most recommend against a blade longer than 7" and many lean shorter.

I do recall that back in the 1980s-'90s, there was a minor, sort of underground movement for a "battle sword". I think Cold Steel even made one, perhaps they still do. Having worked in direct patient care at a major VA hospital in the 1990s, I got to talk with WW-II, Korean and Viet Nam era vets every day. Many of them had some criticism of how their part of their wart was conducted. None of them ever said that they wished the Army, Navy or Marines had given them a longer blade. How many of the WW-I era long bayonets were cut down?

A few did say something about the Japanese swords being awkward to run around with (for the Japanese).

Back