Let's talk civil unrest/war weapons.

I had these made for just such an occasion...

1U3pjep.jpg

0wcJLjO.jpg

1syx8nY.jpg

roBecbI.jpg

YI38pFb.jpg

9ZZUEMt.jpg

I like how so many people in these conversations think they solve every problem with the statement that they are just going to a rural remote area and hunt, fish, eat Wildberry etc.

Indigenous populations were sparse for a reason - nature could not support them growing exponentially like we have in modern technological chemical farming and mining based societies.
Absolutely. I hope the "I'll Just Bug Out Crowd" never has to do that. I have a modern technological farm. When shtf, it will be looted of any edible crops within a few days by the locals. I have also a landlocked piece of wooded land with bear, deer, turkey. Again, the locals will have it cleaned out within days - if it is not burned out by careless campers.

I see a collapse going one of two ways when it comes to a person coming out on top:

A) We forget all this talk of what we are going to beat/chop each other to death with and start collaborating with trusted friends/neighbors of various skill sets to create a microcosm of relative safety realizing that we ALL are pretty much helpless on our own and during a societal collapse event it won't matter what color your political jersey was. Defending against roving bands and having an exhausted ammo supply is squarely in zombie apocalypse territory because it is about as conceivable as one can get where you would be on your own, out of ammo, and needing to worry about what you were going to brain the next attacker with ;)

or,

B) I am totally wrong, and people of every walk of life, creed, political affiliation, and societal standing are almost ALL pieces of crap and we all literally retreat into our homes, board the doors, and wait to kill anyone who comes through it. In that scenario, might is right, and it's time to go full survival mode and pick off your weakest neighbors with the most resources with the least amount of risk. In that case, an unexpected smash and grab with crowbars and axe handles would most likely do the job. No swords needed;)

I know I am being the no-fun police here, so what do I have next to my bed in case I can't get to my 12 gauge or. 357:
20201013-170622.jpg

Sucks in the hallway, but great for a Highland Charge down the stairs (Yes I know historically it wouldn't have been with a Claymore). A good sweep would clear out a room I would imagine;)

Before the thread dies, I will tell you the best tool that you will need and how to acquire it - leadership.

How you acquire it.
1. You find the book about the Bielski brothers and how they brought together a group of 1000 disparate people and survived for months in the woods in eastern Europe.
2. You constantly practice situational awareness and actively know the abilities and strengths of everyone around you - and focus on not speaking about yourself.

Examples. When the bus arrived at border with Afghanistan, the experienced travelers already had some idea of who the others were and knew that they had to cross 12 miles of no mans land. We drew together and within 5 minutes knew how many languages each spoke, who had been this way before, organized into negotiating team/security/foraging team. We made it. The other people didn't.

When there was a tour group of unrelated people in the PRC, three of us agreed that if shtf, we would stick together. When shtf happened, we were organized and did save someone's life.

Before the thread dies, I will tell you the best tool that you will need and how to acquire it - leadership.

How you acquire it.
1. You find the book about the Bielski brothers and how they brought together a group of 1000 disparate people and survived for months in the woods in eastern Europe.
2. You constantly practice situational awareness and actively know the abilities and strengths of everyone around you - and focus on not speaking about yourself.

Examples. When the bus arrived at border with Afghanistan, the experienced travelers already had some idea of who the others were and knew that they had to cross 12 miles of no mans land. We drew together and within 5 minutes knew how many languages each spoke, who had been this way before, organized into negotiating team/security/foraging team. We made it. The other people didn't.

When there was a tour group of unrelated people in the PRC, three of us agreed that if shtf, we would stick together. When shtf happened, we were organized and did save someone's life.

That's a really good point. I just named my bigass titanium sword "Leadership." 😁

For a few weeks everybody will be fine. After that, those willing to take what they need, however they need, will be fine. Eventually those who are willing to emulate the Donner party will be fine. And that'll happen because starvation does wonders for breaking down moral barriers. it might not happen everywhere and I'm sure nobody doing it will broadcast it, but you can bet people will be doing it. The Russians literally sold human meat on the streets at one point not that long ago.

If there is no ammo to be found or made in the US we are in trouble. The thing about large weapons is they get very heavy if you have to carry them for any amount of time. An axe might be more practical for prying and battering things in this situation.

If there is no ammo to be found or made in the US we are in trouble.….

If there were no ammo left in the US we would all be long dead. There are likely several hundred thousand rounds per person, counting civilian, police, military, and commercial stocks; and, we are far from being a harden military force in fortified bunkers. Most of the population would be gone before we can even get to expending more than a handful of rounds per person. That is not even counting loses due to starvation and lack of medical care. Running out of ammo is not a real concern in the US.

n2s

That's a really good point. I just named my bigass titanium sword "Leadership." 😁
If it were only that simple. Leadership is a very elusive trait. It is fun to be the king, so everyone claims a right to the throne. But leadership skills aren’t based on privilege, skin color, physical size, religious anointments or even experience or success. All those things are usually detrimental to leadership. You cannot be vested in the status quo and expected to undermine and change it. It is a rare natural talent, that requires one to live well outside the pack and it’s group think, yet to understand the group dynamics well enough to gain its trust, persuade, and direct it along a new path.

Life is not a zero sum game. It is not black vs white, rich vs poor, left vs right, conservative vs liberal. There are an infinite number of solutions to every problem and true leadership comes from the ability to redefine the problem to break the usual paradigm and show the mob a new desirable and novel solution.

n2s

Maybe a trident or a pitchfork to keep a distance. Or a halberd or bill?

Tactical spear, maybe one with multiple points - trident, etc, and a tactical gladius or some other tactical short sword, but probably one with double edge that's good for thrusting as well as chopping. That's why I would tend to pick a gladius - double edged, but wide blade so you could actually use it for chopping. But, I would prefer to also have a forged camp axe or boys axe to use to actually chop wood rather than blunting my good close in blade. They would all be carbon steel rather than stainless so that I could easily sharpen them without electricity.

Back