Lets talk GEC!

And just imagine, not a fork or comb in sight...:rolleyes::D

htmEgYF.jpg
Don't worry, with all the fork and combs languishing on the shelves you should have no problem picking one up, oh wait, what?:rolleyes:

I will ask here rather than start a new thread. I like my GEC 23 Pioneer Trapper, but does anyone else think having a liner lock and the half stop on the blade is a little awkward? As soon as I press the release, the blade stops on the half stop and momentarily stops the closimg motion, almost cutting my fingers. Is it just me? Also, is the 73 just the same knife style without the liner lock? Any differences besides the lock? Just wanted to ask, thanks for your thoughts.

I will ask here rather than start a new thread. I like my GEC 23 Pioneer Trapper, but does anyone else think having a liner lock and the half stop on the blade is a little awkward? As soon as I press the release, the blade stops on the half stop and momentarily stops the closimg motion, almost cutting my fingers. Is it just me? Also, is the 73 just the same knife style without the liner lock? Any differences besides the lock? Just wanted to ask, thanks for your thoughts.
It's pretty typical on traditional knives. You only need to get the blade barely started (closing) and then get your thumb out of the way. Feel confident in that if your using it correctly, the half stop will keep the blade away from your thumb if you don't move it out of the way. Of course, if you're not using it correctly, that's on you. Handle in your left hand and blade in your right hand for maximum control.

It's pretty typical on traditional knives. You only need to get the blade barely started (closing) and then get your thumb out of the way. Feel confident in that if your using it correctly, the half stop will keep the blade away from your thumb if you don't move it out of the way. Of course, if you're not using it correctly, that's on you. Handle in your left hand and blade in your right hand for maximum control.

So true.

Half stops in general are unsafe, due to the sudden arrest of the blade’s motion, which is particularly violent when coupled with a very heavy backspring.

As you have identified, the safety issue is made worse when you add a liner lock which places your fingers closer to the blade’s path.

So no, it’s not just you that has identified this. You have to adjust your technique and use more care than normal.

A 73 is a smaller knife, with the same overall shape.

Half stops in general are unsafe, due to the sudden arrest of the blade’s motion, which is particularly violent when coupled with a very heavy backspring.

As you have identified, the safety issue is made worse when you add a liner lock which places your fingers closer to the blade’s path.

So no, it’s not just you that has identified this. You have to adjust your technique and use more care than normal.

Thanks, definitely will have to adjust my technique.

A knife is a tool used to cut various objects....... Like any tool it requires knowledge of how to use use it, the physical strength to use it and adherence to proper usage methods.......
I personally like half stops and think they add an element of safety to a knife's operation...... I don't find a liner lock objectionable and see it as a safety enhancement rather than a safety issue....
Knives are made in many configurations for different intended purposes.. For a couple hundred bucks you can have 4-5 for different needs......i.e. killing and gutting a Cape Buffalo; slicing a tomato; cutting up your birthday gift boxes; opening mail from your divorce attorney; whittling a spoon to eat your corn flakes; etc.
I don't believe half stops or liner locks are unsafe.... They are just features on a knife that the owner needs to understand..... And, if objectionable, there are plenty of knives without half stops and liner locks to choose from...

@waynorth that is some of the finest super swoopy clip I’ve ever seen. Why Case stopped doing that? I couldn’t even guess. GEC puts out a good one of those “arched” clips from time to time, but nothing that deep!

I admire your collection!!!
You’re “the man”.

When closing my GEC's with LL and half stop, I securely pinch the blade with my left thumb and forefinger, disengage the LL with my right thumb, and guide the blade in a totally controlled motion to the half stop, then I usually just use my hip to send the blade home pressing the back of the blade against it. That or using the fleshy part of my thumb against the back of the blade to send it closed.

I remember reading some advice from AG Russell many moons ago regarding his one hand knife, he suggested that whenever you get a new to you type of knife, to practice opening and closing the knife until its nature of operation becomes second nature to you. In essence, until you lock in that muscle memory and can perform the operation with your eyes closed. That is how you become truly familiar with a knife. I respect the 23 LL GEC's, and admire them. They are no less or more safe than any other pattern, you just got to know the ins and outs of how to safely use them.

When closing my GEC's with LL and half stop, I securely pinch the blade with my left thumb and forefinger, disengage the LL with my right thumb, and guide the blade in a totally controlled motion to the half stop, then I usually just use my hip to send the blade home pressing the back of the blade against it. That or using the fleshy part of my thumb against the back of the blade to send it closed.

I remember reading some advice from AG Russell many moons ago regarding his one hand knife, he suggested that whenever you get a new to you type of knife, to practice opening and closing the knife until its nature of operation becomes second nature to you. In essence, until you lock in that muscle memory and can perform the operation with your eyes closed. That is how you become truly familiar with a knife. I respect the 23 LL GEC's, and admire them. They are no less or more safe than any other pattern, you just got to know the ins and outs of how to safely use them.

Thanks everyone. I really like the reference to AG Russell above too. I actually like stops. At first I did not like the stops on my Manly knives, but now they are addictive. Just need to play with it with the liner lock.

Welcome to half stops. Not my preferred style of build due to your concerns, but I still love the 23. You may have to modify your open/close technique from that which you've come to use on smaller/lighter action pocket knives. For me, i do not open and close a 23 like I do a 53 ;)

I’m not a big fan of liner locks on spring knives in general. On modern folders the lack of spring tension makes working a liner lock pretty easy and I can work them confidently. That being said, I’ve been playing with an old TL-29 and though it’s awkward, I find i can get my hand out of the way. The half stop is an aid there, since it’s a resting point so I can change positions.

Liner lock design is counter intuitive though- it puts your fingers in a spot that they don’t want to be. If I bought a 23 LL I’d remove the locking liner, personally.

Well, if you keep hold of the blade while closing it then that minimises the potential 'danger' to your other fingers, just a technique thing.

I agree with Camillus Camillus about half stops though, I prefer the smoothness of opening closing without them, like on most French knives.

Disagree about removing liner locks on a spring knife, I've found it an excellent feature on GEC 73s and Queen Cutlery's No.6 especially if you have to cut clingy plastics/hose and suchlike.

Thanks, Will

As usual, Will and I are on the same page: I dislike, but still have and use, half stops and find linerlocks to be quite useful for certain tasks. For general use, a two or three blade slipjoint with cam tangs and medium-firm pulls is my favorite.

Back