Lets talk GEC!

Dear GEC,

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

Please?

Ditto! Dear GEC, please make a Scout knife!!!

Pretty please? :D

Ditto! Dear GEC, please make a Scout knife!!!

Pretty please? :D

Another vote, a GEC scout knife would be the knife to rule them all for me. If GEC made a scout knife they would be gone before hitting the shelves. I would expect them to be more costly to produce and that may be a reason they haven't been made yet, but I'd put all my money on a run not lasting a week at dealers regardless of price (within reason of course).

I too can see the value in the exclusivity. But I still would like to see some re-releases of the more popular patterns.

Like other's have stated a few times already in this thread, the #62, #73, and #15 would be great to see a consistent stock of. I think the #68 and #66 could be included as well. You could probably add the #55, #92, and #85 to the mix while we're at it. ...(Now I'm just getting carried away again!) Actually, keep it limited...now that I'm privy to GEC, I'll just make sure I get what I can when it is available. :D

I think GEC is doing things just right, and the best part is that they seem to always be improving and evolving. There are few, if any, production companies still around that are like GEC. GEC is 'old-timey' in and of itself, which seems rare and special to me. I hope they stick around for a while!

I just have 2 words to say, CUSTOM SHOP!

How sweet would it be to be able to build your own from previous patterns? Choose blade style(s)/grind/finish, bolster/liner material, covers, shield. While it certainly would not be cheap imagine some of the beauties we would see!

I keep seeing references to members reminiscing about the 62 "Easy Pocket Congress" , and I'm wondering if you all realize that GEC is producing that very knife in a 440C version right now! Guys, these are awesome! They have N/S liners and bolsters with Wharnie main and pen secondary blades, and they are being produced with jigged bone, elk stag, and some very nice stabilized 'bird's eye maple' covers. If you haven't tried out GEC's stainless line because you like the edge holding ability of 1095 carbon, don't worry about it! I will concede that 1095 will take a finer edge than stainless (when properly heat treated) but it is very hard to tell the difference in practical use, and you get a stainless blade for your fruit cutting. SWEET!!!

But I still would like to see some re-releases of the more popular patterns.

Like other's have stated a few times already in this thread, the #62, #73, and #15 would be great to see a consistent stock of. I think the #68 and #66 could be included as well. You could probably add the #55, #92, and #85 to the mix while we're at it.

Actually, keep it limited...now that I'm privy to GEC, I'll just make sure I get what I can when it is available. :D

:D

Blademan a custom shop would be killer and I am sure profitable for them :thumbup:

GSJack those are mighty nice looking but we are referring to the courthouse whittler version, should have clarified that sooner. I am eyening that maple though ;)

:D

Blademan a custom shop would be killer and I am sure profitable for them :thumbup:

GSJack those are mighty nice looking but we are referring to the courthouse whittler version, should have clarified that sooner. I am eyening that maple though ;)

I regret only getting two of them when they were available, one each in burnt stag and ebony. I also got a half-congress in Primitive Bone, but the stag whittler always finds it's way back into my pocket somehow. The #62 CH whittler and #53 cattle knife are certainly two of my favorites.

I regret only getting two of them when they were available, one each in burnt stag and ebony. I also got a half-congress in Primitive Bone, but the stag whittler always finds it's way back into my pocket somehow. The #62 CH whittler and #53 cattle knife are certainly two of my favorites.

Is that the 53 with the punch?

Pics or I dont believe ya :D lol

Another vote, a GEC scout knife would be the knife to rule them all for me. If GEC made a scout knife they would be gone before hitting the shelves. I would expect them to be more costly to produce and that may be a reason they haven't been made yet, but I'd put all my money on a run not lasting a week at dealers regardless of price (within reason of course).

Agreed. I would think the price would be around $200, with nice covers. I would gladly pay it. Give me one in micarta, and it would be my Grail user knife.

I would think $200 to be a little high. I think the 4 blade 53's where $125 for the tidioute? I wouldnt think the scout more expensive as two of the blades would be the same and the other two on the scout wouldnt even need sharpening, just punched out of a blank. It would also probably be on the 68 frame so its smaller thus less material. Just how I am looking at it. If/when GEC makes this pattern I hope they keep it as thin as possible for pocket-ability and I promise ya that if the caplifter cant open a beer as smooth as my SAK I wont buy one.

Is that the 53 with the punch?

Pics or I dont believe ya :D lol

Hahaha! No doubt, I wouldn't take my word for it either.... It's not the punch version, just a three-blade (to use their description) "stockman", although it's on an equal-end frame rather than serpentine.... Hoping they get one of those out on the #81 frame soon! Anyway, here it is:

cuban (1).jpg

Attachments

• cuban.jpg
    cuban.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 68
I would think $200 to be a little high. I think the 4 blade 53's where $125 for the tidioute? I wouldnt think the scout more expensive as two of the blades would be the same and the other two on the scout wouldnt even need sharpening, just punched out of a blank. It would also probably be on the 68 frame so its smaller thus less material. Just how I am looking at it. If/when GEC makes this pattern I hope they keep it as thin as possible for pocket-ability and I promise ya that if the caplifter cant open a beer as smooth as my SAK I wont buy one.

Good points. I was thinking stag and such would be pricey... 68 frame would be perfect in my mind. *The last quote was highlighted for truth!

I've been looking at the Scout patterns. I'm not a huge SAK fan, but I love these! I saw a vintage GIRLscout knife for sale yesterday and that was awesome too.

The only problem I'd have with buying a GEC scout would be that they'd most likely do it in 440C right? At least that's my thinking since it's typically a knife designed for children and has a tool that will/can have incidental contact with liquids?

Rockgolfer, I must congratulate you again on an awesome thread. So much excitement is being generated by it, well done good sir!

I like the Scout knife idea but I'd like to see one a bit different than the old standard. Since most of us would buy one as an EDC instead of actually using it for camping, how about a 4 blade consisting of a spear, coping, cap lifter/screwdriver, and a punch.

I understand the spear blade in the Scout knife concept. But, I still believe the clip blade looks better. A 68 with a clip blade main, coping secondary on one spring and cap lifter/screwdriver, punch on the other spring with the autumn gold, jigged bone scales would be mighty nice.

Rework this one a bit and then we've got something. This is just a tad too big and much too stiff for edc use. Just replace the spey with the caplifter.

I, too, wish they made a few more of their popular patterns. My current "favorite," the 68 Pony Jack--I read where they made 50 each in the clip versions, and only 25 each in the spear. So only 49 other people can own the ebony clip that is in my pocket right now, and if I should lose it a few years down the road, it's going to be hard to replace it. You often hear that "we" (knife nuts) make up a small percentage of the knife buying public, but in the case of GEC, "we" might just be it.

Which leads me to another question--how are they staying afloat? For easy math, let's say they employ 20 people. And let's say each makes 20 dollars an hour (just using easy math). 20 people times 20 dollars times 8 (standard 8 hour work day) = $3,200 per day, not counting benefits, etc. They produce about 75 knives a day (I have heard) that retail for, on average, $100.00. Average retail markup is 40%, so GEC makes about $60.00 per knife. At 75 per day, that's $4,500 per day. Add in rent and other additional costs--

In other words, keep buying knives. And when someone complains that GECs cost too much? Do the math...

Last edited:
Back