Lets talk GEC!

As one of the 49 other people I'd like to say you have good taste :)

I have thought about how GEC are making money, but I don't normally do the math because i honestly don't know how they are producing this much quality, with those production numbers, at this price, and that kinda scares me, don't want to see them go away you know? Your right, we better just buy more knives form them, it's the only things to do, it's being a good citizen really :D

I, too, wish they made a few more of their popular patterns. My current "favorite," the 68 Pony Jack--I read where they made 50 each in the clip versions, and only 25 each in the spear. So only 49 other people can own the ebony clip that is in my pocket right now, and if I should lose it a few years down the road, it's going to be hard to replace it. You often hear that "we" (knife nuts) make up a small percentage of the knife buying public, but in the case of GEC, "we" might just be it.

Which leads me to another question--how are they staying afloat? For easy math, let's say they employ 20 people. And let's say each makes 20 dollars an hour (just using easy math). 20 people times 20 dollars times 8 (standard 8 hour work day) = $3,200 per day, not counting benefits, etc. They produce about 75 knives a day (I have heard) that retail for, on average, $100.00. Average retail markup is 40%, so GEC makes about $60.00 per knife. At 75 per day, that's $4,500 per day. Add in rent and other additional costs--

In other words, keep buying knives. And when someone complains that GECs cost too much? I paid 80 bucks for this Pony Jack and it is a bargain at twice the price.

I don't think GEC's on whole are really expensive; I think they're priced more than fairly for the quality you get (maybe even a bargain in some instances). I'm sure GEC has methods to manage its costs (using established patterns for new releases, maintaining a low inventory of scale options). Believe me, we WANT to keep buying their knives...that's why some here are lobbying for re-release of popular patterns. It's not very difficult to see from existing inventories which releases have been homeruns and which ones have been duds. I applaud GEC's initiative to try new things, and I imagine limiting each release to a low quantity is another way the company manages its finances (who wants crank out 500 knives of pattern 'X' just to be different when no one buys them?). I guess the debate concerning exclusivity depends which side of the river you're standing on. :rolleyes: I'd rather see the exclusivity based on scale options rather than pattern availability. In any event, I'm hoping GEC is around for a long time...and I think some of that success will come from the input of concerned members here!

-Greg

Hahaha! No doubt, I wouldn't take my word for it either.... It's not the punch version, just a three-blade (to use their description) "stockman", although it's on an equal-end frame rather than serpentine.... Hoping they get one of those out on the #81 frame soon! Anyway, here it is:

View attachment 359041
Glad you took that the right way ;) and what a beauty that is. Thanks so much for sharing.

rdrogers- Quote away for accuracy, I stand behind that statement ;). I was lucky enough to score a 2011 forum knife from the exchange and not only did the caplifter thing bug me but I could barely open that tool. I know its an easy fix but at that kind of money I dont want to have to modify anything like the main function of a tool!

Thanks pmew, appreciate your kind words :thumbup:

Bdev I like that idea a lot. I hope thats one iteration of the pattern but I would put money on it that the first release will be a true to classic design.

I've been looking at the Scout patterns. I'm not a huge SAK fan, but I love these! I saw a vintage GIRLscout knife for sale yesterday and that was awesome too.

The only problem I'd have with buying a GEC scout would be that they'd most likely do it in 440C right? At least that's my thinking since it's typically a knife designed for children and has a tool that will/can have incidental contact with liquids?

You want to be careful with those 440C target audience comments. Some people prefer stainless over non-stainless steel. And some of us who do prefer stainless have not been considered children for four or five decades.

My favorite GEC is stainless. My stainless White Owl was the sharpest out of the box of all my GECs. Not any harder to maintain either. I think they do a fine job with their 440C.
That said, I love some 1095, too.

If they do ever make a scout knife, I really hope that they make it with 1095 carbon steel blades. It would be great if they modeled it after the old vintage scout and utility knives made with carbon blades by companies like Ulster, Remington, Camillus, Hammer Brand, Robeson, Imperial, etc... A new pinned shield to go with it would be great! A Tidioute Beaver Tail line of Scout knives would be great as well.

I plan to try out their 440c as well, but for now, my sites are aimed mostly at patterns that come with 1095 carbon.

And some of us who do like the non-stainless have been called children for several decades as well :)

You want to be careful with those 440C target audience comments. Some people prefer stainless over non-stainless steel. And some of us who do prefer stainless have not been considered children for four or five decades.

Those of you that have been wishing for some of the old GEC patterns to be produced again won't have much longer to wait. :eek: They will be running the 73 pattern again in single blade slippie, single blade liner-lock, and the standard "Scout" two blade trapper with drop point and spey blades. Also, they'll be running the sheepfoot version of the #15 Boy's Knife and the new, as yet un-named 23 thumb locks soon. The 73's, though, are a GEC staple and the single blade model is probably my personal favorite pattern from them, although I seem to be developing a lot of favorite GEC patterns lately.... :rolleyes: Look for 'em on yer favorite dealers shelves soon. :)

I'm partial to the single blade #15's. Looking forward to the EZ open w/ the sheepsfoot blade.

I'm not sure that you took how I meant it. What I meant was that Boy Scouts are young and from what I understand knife companies typically choose SS over Carbon when making knives for that demographic. Obviously the majority of GEC BS knives would be bought, collected and used by adults, but it seems that GEC tries to keep things accurate.

Also, why is it that people always assume that I dislike SS, when I say that I prefer Carbon? 440C is one of my very favorite steels. I'd take it over a LOT of other SS's. I'd just rather have 1095 if given the choice. Maybe I gave the wrong impression, but I didn't mean to. ;)

Four bladed "Camp Knives" have been around a lot longer than either Stainless Steel or the Boy Scouts. I'm just sayin...

Thanks. :)

You are aware that it was a question not a statement right?

I'll choose my words more carefully. ;)

Mine was a general comment. Not directed at anyone in particular.
Also the fact that Carbon Steel is "accurate" for most if not all Traditional Patterns.

Stainless or non-stainless, I would love a camp knife. I like my 70's era Case camp knife but a higher quality knife with more premium materials would make my first GEC purchase an easy decision. Unless of course they take too long and I get my first before that.

I've also noticed those #62 easy pocket congress w/ the birds eye maple covers. Think they look great! Do you have any photo's you could post? Thanks in advance!

I brought this thread back up to ask a question.

Has GEC ever made a 440C pattern #65 Ben Hogan?
Or how about a 440C pattern #79 Workhorse?

And I would sure like to see a #92 Eureka (in either steel) with clip main and coping blades.

No to both questions, Jeff. Great Eastern produces a lot more 1095 patterns than those of 440C. :confused: Maybe due to the large number of stainless folders made by other companies these days. :)

Jeff, do you think the Eureka frame will accomodate Clip&Coping? It think they may have to put the nail nicks on each side to allow opening.

Thanks, Will

Back