1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Rambler

Rambler Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Anyone knows the approximate time when Collector Knives' #25 Barlow come out?And is it a single spear blade with stag handle?

2. huelsdonk

huelsdonk Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2016
    I assume the "something is coming" shot is the beginning of this year's version of "what's at the end of the hall". Hmm.

The Churchill is definitely going to be an issue for me as well. It tics a lot of boxes. I've been carrying my Drover a lot lately, and I've come to really like it a lot. The same size with a clip and sheepsfoot... looks awesome.

Looks like there are going to be a couple really interesting two blade/single spring (presumably) knives coming up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Wow!!!! I know I've sworn off ordering any new carbon steel knives, but this 35 is going to be hard to turn down.

JD Bear likes this.
  4. Ratbert

Ratbert Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Really liking the Churchill preview...solid-looking knife!

5. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Mmmm, I'm liking both of those a whole lot!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

6. marsturm

marsturm Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Here I was thinking that I didn't need another knife! That Churchill speaks to me, my two favorite blade shapes on a single spring.

Pomsbz likes this.
  7. Sabercat

Sabercat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Jake, I'm not sure when you mentioned the "Carpenter's Knife", but that's the first I knew there was a name for the specific blade combo I also prefer over all else. I know this isn't quite the same - with blades on opposite ends, but it's the closest yet. I've been "settling" for clip/Wharncliffe combos all this time, as there just aren't many clip/sheepsfoot out there.

I'm glad they're making some great patterns, but my wallet needs a break. Hopefully it'll get a respite during the coon skinner run.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy

Jan 30, 2012
    Can't wait to see what material options will be available for the Churchill.

9. Txjohn

Txjohn Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 24, 2013
    The name got me thinking and sure enough Churchill was my suggestion in last years 35 name that knife GAW thread . Being a carpenter myself , it's meant to be .Think I should get one?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  10. t.willy

t.willy Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Of course TxJohn it's got your name on it lol:D

11. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Why is it called Churchill though? Not an American theme, but is it about Cigar patterns?

Not my cup of tea actually but that 82 is another matter, lot of potential interest here :D

12. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Uh uh! Find your inner strength!;) How else can we force their hand over the Stainless Question unless there's a moratorium on carbon stuff???:D:D:D No backsliding!:mad::p:cool:

Regards, Will Inox

oldtymer likes this.
  13. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Name change, Will?

14. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    How did I miss this? That's not rhetorical, I'm expecting an answer. ;)

I spent a few months away so I guess this snuck by me. Looks fantastic, though. I love the 82 pattern.

huelsdonk likes this.
  15. Stropping Young Lad

Dec 11, 2012
    Aspen? I dunno Loyd, the French are ***holes.

Wurrwulf likes this.
  16. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    It's a similar blade combination. A "Carpenter's knife" was a jack with two full length blades. The handles varied a bit... straight jacks, curved jacks, bullet end, etc. And the main blade can be either a clip or spear. The secondary blade is always a full length sheepfoot.

[​IMG]

The Churchill is a "double-end jack". Typically, stockman and cattle knife type double-end jacks have a spey blade or sometimes a pen blade. But there are rare examples with a sheepfoot. Here's one with spear main blade and sheepfoot secondary using the parts of a Eureka (fancy cattle knife handle/die).

[​IMG]

On the oldies, the spine of the sheepfoot was usually parallel to the handle. But it looks like it will be angled up when closed on GEC's knife (like on a knife with 3 blades). I might tinker with the kick if there's room. I'm looking forward to seeing the inside of the well.

[​IMG]

Years ago, I had suggested something similar for the forum knife... and a couple years later we did get one made by CSC before they closed their doors. One of the nice things about the double-end jack is that a catch bit can allow the main blade to be full length. Whoever invented the catch bit is in my personal cutlery hall of fame!

Here's a comparison of two pen knives. The knife on the right has a catch bit and the main blade is longer than the knife on the left that lacks a catch bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Sabercat, TFBraden, Dr-Mabuse and 4 others like this.
  17. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    The new Churchill is gonna be pretty sweet I bet, but I'm guessing that we might not get the shield variety we've been seeing.

C'mon, GEC, just add another spring, a punch, caplifter and bail, and we'll be all set!

Buzzbait and Stropping Young Lad like this.
  18. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    If you combine the Churchill's sheepsfoot with the awl and spear from the Drover, you have 3/4 of a miniaturized Texas Camp knife. Just need the bail and the can opener/cap lifter/screwdriver. Just sayin' ........... One of these in 440C and canvas micarta scales would be might appreciated.

Kiteman72 likes this.
  19. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    You beat me to it. LOL

20. Stropping Young Lad

Dec 11, 2012
    Just glue a Churchill and a drover together. Close enough!

NJBillK likes this.