Lets talk GEC!

Anyone knows the approximate time when Collector Knives' #25 Barlow come out?And is it a single spear blade with stag handle?

I assume the "something is coming" shot is the beginning of this year's version of "what's at the end of the hall". Hmm.

The Churchill is definitely going to be an issue for me as well. It tics a lot of boxes. I've been carrying my Drover a lot lately, and I've come to really like it a lot. The same size with a clip and sheepsfoot... looks awesome.

Looks like there are going to be a couple really interesting two blade/single spring (presumably) knives coming up.

35-NORTHFIELD.jpg

82%20POSSUM%20SKINNER%203_zpsxonsxiwx.jpg

Wow!!!! I know I've sworn off ordering any new carbon steel knives, but this 35 is going to be hard to turn down.

I assume the "something is coming" shot is the beginning of this year's version of "what's at the end of the hall". Hmm.

The Churchill is definitely going to be an issue for me as well. It tics a lot of boxes. I've been carrying my Drover a lot lately, and I've come to really like it a lot. The same size with a clip and sheepsfoot... looks awesome.

Looks like there are going to be a couple really interesting two blade/single spring (presumably) knives coming up.

35-NORTHFIELD.jpg

Mmmm, I'm liking both of those a whole lot!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here I was thinking that I didn't need another knife! That Churchill speaks to me, my two favorite blade shapes on a single spring.

Woah! I'm liking this one a LOT. Favorite blade combo!! Hope they use some of the plain classic shields that they're using on this run of 66s.

35-NORTHFIELD-768x594.jpg

Nice! Hopefully it continues. I'm definitely loving it!
Jake, I'm not sure when you mentioned the "Carpenter's Knife", but that's the first I knew there was a name for the specific blade combo I also prefer over all else. I know this isn't quite the same - with blades on opposite ends, but it's the closest yet. I've been "settling" for clip/Wharncliffe combos all this time, as there just aren't many clip/sheepsfoot out there.

I'm glad they're making some great patterns, but my wallet needs a break. Hopefully it'll get a respite during the coon skinner run.

Can't wait to see what material options will be available for the Churchill.

The name got me thinking and sure enough Churchill was my suggestion in last years 35 name that knife GAW thread . Being a carpenter myself , it's meant to be .Think I should get one?

Last edited:
Why is it called Churchill though? Not an American theme, but is it about Cigar patterns?

Not my cup of tea actually but that 82 is another matter, lot of potential interest here :D

Wow!!!! I know I've sworn off ordering any new carbon steel knives, but this 35 is going to be hard to turn down.

Uh uh! Find your inner strength!;) How else can we force their hand over the Stainless Question unless there's a moratorium on carbon stuff???:D:D:D No backsliding!:mad::p:cool:

Regards, Will Inox

How did I miss this? That's not rhetorical, I'm expecting an answer. ;)

I spent a few months away so I guess this snuck by me. Looks fantastic, though. I love the 82 pattern.

Jake, I'm not sure when you mentioned the "Carpenter's Knife", but that's the first I knew there was a name for the specific blade combo I also prefer over all else. I know this isn't quite the same - with blades on opposite ends, but it's the closest yet. I've been "settling" for clip/Wharncliffe combos all this time, as there just aren't many clip/sheepsfoot out there.

I'm glad they're making some great patterns, but my wallet needs a break. Hopefully it'll get a respite during the coon skinner run.

It's a similar blade combination. A "Carpenter's knife" was a jack with two full length blades. The handles varied a bit... straight jacks, curved jacks, bullet end, etc. And the main blade can be either a clip or spear. The secondary blade is always a full length sheepfoot.

o3iKtAr.jpg

The Churchill is a "double-end jack". Typically, stockman and cattle knife type double-end jacks have a spey blade or sometimes a pen blade. But there are rare examples with a sheepfoot. Here's one with spear main blade and sheepfoot secondary using the parts of a Eureka (fancy cattle knife handle/die).

gev4mTJ.jpg

On the oldies, the spine of the sheepfoot was usually parallel to the handle. But it looks like it will be angled up when closed on GEC's knife (like on a knife with 3 blades). I might tinker with the kick if there's room. I'm looking forward to seeing the inside of the well.

35-NORTHFIELD.jpg

Years ago, I had suggested something similar for the forum knife... and a couple years later we did get one made by CSC before they closed their doors. One of the nice things about the double-end jack is that a catch bit can allow the main blade to be full length. Whoever invented the catch bit is in my personal cutlery hall of fame!

Here's a comparison of two pen knives. The knife on the right has a catch bit and the main blade is longer than the knife on the left that lacks a catch bit.

1uLuLw1.jpg

y7SkEF2.jpg

Last edited:
The new Churchill is gonna be pretty sweet I bet, but I'm guessing that we might not get the shield variety we've been seeing.

C'mon, GEC, just add another spring, a punch, caplifter and bail, and we'll be all set!

If you combine the Churchill's sheepsfoot with the awl and spear from the Drover, you have 3/4 of a miniaturized Texas Camp knife. Just need the bail and the can opener/cap lifter/screwdriver. Just sayin' ........... One of these in 440C and canvas micarta scales would be might appreciated.

The new Churchill is gonna be pretty sweet I bet, but I'm guessing that we might not get the shield variety we've been seeing.

C'mon, GEC, just add another spring, a punch, caplifter and bail, and we'll be all set!

You beat me to it. LOL

If you combine the Churchill's sheepsfoot with the awl and spear from the Drover, you have 3/4 of a miniaturized Texas Camp knife. Just need the bail and the can opener/cap lifter/screwdriver. Just sayin' ........... One of these in 440C and canvas micarta scales would be might appreciated.

Just glue a Churchill and a drover together. Close enough!

Back