Lets talk GEC!

Guessing this would be the one.... retails for $15 at [a big box store] though on clearance for $6 I think elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guessing this would be the one.... retails for $15 at [a big box store] though on clearance for $6 I think elsewhere.

Hopefully someone who took more time to look at it can confirm, but that definitely looks like the same size and shape as what I saw. I don't recall seeing the bright yellow/green though, and think they were mostly black with maybe a spot of orange on them...maybe. I'm probably totally wrong though.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the rendezvous, was there any info about the odd looking thing at the "end of the hall"? Is it a flash light?

Yes it is a small flashlight, comes in a tube, I did not handle it, maybe someone else can give a review.

Jake, I saw the flashlights getting placed in the tubes while on tour, and in the display, but honestly didn't pay much attention to them. Just my quick observations from what I saw though is I don't think there was room in the tube for much more than the light...but won't swear to that.

@L.H.S. shared this in the Rendezvous and Picnic thread:

Guessing this would be the one.... retails for $15 at wal-mart though on clearance for $6 I think elsewhere.

Hopefully someone who took more time to look at it can confirm, but that definitely looks like the same size and shape as what I saw. I don't recall seeing the bright yellow/green though, and think they were mostly black with maybe a spot of orange on them...maybe. I'm probably totally wrong though.

Yes, these are flashlights, and flashlights only. tstaut tstaut , the video you posted does look like the flashlight I saw and held at GEC.

I am baffled at the choice(s) to bring these in, honestly. The GEC version is all black, with Farm & Field Tool in orange-- the middle text seen here, in the same font:

Farm-Field-Pocket-Knives.jpg

And there lies the special rub: "GEC"/Great Eastern Cutlery appears nowhere on the item, which to me would possibly be the only draw...?

The flashlight itself is on the ungainly side, the end isn't a carabiner (ie, a useful standalone attaching-thingo), and I'm not sure how one would attach it otherwise without potentially interfering with the weirdly-protusioned caplifter.

I am evidently not the target audience. o_O

~ P.

Ok I think I got a bit excited by that post. You aren't suggesting the #35 is going to be in 01 tool steel?

Yes, these are flashlights, and flashlights only. tstaut tstaut , the video you posted does look like the flashlight I saw and held at GEC.

I am baffled at the choice(s) to bring these in, honestly. The GEC version is all black, with Farm & Field Tool in orange-- the middle text seen here, in the same font:

Farm-Field-Pocket-Knives.jpg

And there lies the special rub: "GEC"/Great Eastern Cutlery appears nowhere on the item, which to me would possibly be the only draw...?

The flashlight itself is on the ungainly side, the end isn't a carabiner (ie, a useful standalone attaching-thingo), and I'm not sure how one would attach it otherwise without potentially interfering with the weirdly-protusioned caplifter.

~ P.
Why would they sell flashlights or waste time and tubes with theses?? And are they Chinese lights?

Jake, I saw the flashlights getting placed in the tubes while on tour, and in the display, but honestly didn't pay much attention to them. Just my quick observations from what I saw though is I don't think there was room in the tube for much more than the light...but won't swear to that.

@L.H.S. shared this in the Rendezvous and Picnic thread:

Thank you, Ryan :thumbsup:

~ P.

That's because you light up any room you enter! :)

My heavens! Got to see these in production at the rendezvous, but they were in earlier stages. Sure turned out beautifully.

I love the etch and pins. Keeping my fingers crossed that I made the cut for the Red Sawcut - but hey, wouldn't complain about any handle material on these.

Beautiful work Charlie and folks at GEC!
IMG_20170815_151859.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like that wraps up this production schedule. Looking forward to an updated schedule and we start to wind down 2017. Any speculations (Besides the Bull Moose, Churchill, and Calf Pen)?

I can say, with mild disappointment, that they won't be running any stainless through January 2018 at least, and that they already have production planned that far. Maybe a 77, that usually happens Octoberish. Hasn't been an 85 this year, either. Maybe a Bull Buster since the Mudbugs are slated for January.

I can say, with mild disappointment, that they won't be running any stainless through January 2018 at least, and that they already have production planned that far. Maybe a 77, that usually happens Octoberish. Hasn't been an 85 this year, either. Maybe a Bull Buster since the Mudbugs are slated for January.
How about a 77Barlow? What do ya think? I noticed they were not in production in '16.

Last edited:
There was a run of 77's last year, had the "new" (new to the 77, adopted from the 15) style clip point blade. But they weren't run until September or October, methinks. @knifeswapper would have to chime in about his agenda. I thought 85s were a spring run knife, and I think the Lionsteel barlow ate up that timeframe. Although those might not be annual knives, anyway.

There was a run of 77's last year, had the "new" (new to the 77, adopted from the 15) style clip point blade. But they weren't run until September or October, methinks.

@knifeswapper would have to chime in about his agenda. I thought 85s were a spring run knife, and I think the Lionsteel barlow ate up that timeframe.
Gotcha. I did not see the 77 Barlow on the '16 production schedule. Thanks for the info my friend.

GEC and CK nailed it with that 2016 run of 77 Barlow's. The clip point was fantastic! Absolutely gorgeous TC's coming up as well. I'm on the standby list but won't hold my breath.

Last edited:

I would be shocked if we didn't see a 77 barlow this year. They've been yearly for some time now, and mike had mentioned ideas for the next one. Fingers crossed!

Back