Lets talk GEC!

For r8shell and Dylan: some favorite acrylics.

This was an SFO for Painted Pony, called Nighthawk Micapearl.
nighthawkmicapearlcomp_zps66feecef.jpg~original

Blue Denim, Cracked Marble, Blue Oyster
UniqueAcrylics.jpg~original

Fall Harvest, Lava Lamp, Kryptonite
SwirlAcrylics.jpg~original

Patriot
PatriotCuban_zpsc21e022f.jpg~original

Tortoise (the rarer original release)
Tortoise61_zps02c3c935.jpg~original

Coffee House
3628a0ff-3410-45e0-9de0-20523dcd0fd9_zpsu45xfp57.jpg~original
All of these I would gladly own too, Jeff!

For r8shell and Dylan: some favorite acrylics.
Thanks, I especially like that Blue Oyster!

Hey r8shell, I would agree, the gold fleck is one that got away from me before I could appreciate it.
Yes. I generally prefer natural materials, but certain acrylics will catch my eye as well, as there's just something appealing about a knife that looks like a '70s motorcycle helmet! :p

So I was updating my knife collection spreadsheet tonight, adding a few of my newest knives and updating some information on others. Part of the information I like to record (for my GEC knives, at least) is the production total for each particular knife. I hadn't yet added the production totals for my 2016 GEC knives, so I was going through last year's production totals on GEC's site and adding them to the spreadsheet.

The reason I mention this is that I noticed something interesting while looking at the 2016 production totals. I know there has been some discussion over the last couple years about GEC producing fewer patterns throughout the year, and instead focusing on producing a higher number of each knife that they make. Well, a quick glance at the 2016 numbers (and at least some familiarity with previous years numbers) definitely reflects that trend, but the thing that really stood out to me were the Beer Scouts. I mean, look at these numbers! That's a lot of knives (at least by GEC standards)!

9UzHbTV.png

For comparison, Beer Scout total production in 2015: 1144; Beer Scout total for 2016: 2477!

If you go back to 2014's production totals, there's only a small handful of individual knives that have a production total over 100!

Might as well add some Beer Scout photos (more interesting to look at than production totals). :D

2016:

J8cQgjO.jpg

2015:

pI0hhKs.jpg

Last edited:
So I was updating my knife collection spreadsheet tonight, adding a few of my newest knives and updating some information on others. Part of the information I like to record (for my GEC knives, at least) is the production total for each particular knife. I hadn't yet added the production totals for my 2016 GEC knives, so I was going through last year's production totals on GEC's site and adding them to the spreadsheet.

The reason I mention this is that I noticed something interesting while looking at the 2016 production totals. I know there has been some discussion over the last couple years about GEC producing fewer patterns throughout the year, and instead focusing on producing a higher number of each knife that they make. Well, a quick glance at the 2016 numbers (and at least some familiarity with previous years numbers) definitely reflects that trend, but the thing that really stood out to me were the Beer Scouts. I mean, look at these numbers! That's a lot of knives (at least by GEC standards)!

9UzHbTV.png

For comparison, Beer Scout total production in 2015: 1144; Beer Scout total for 2016: 2477!

If you go back to 2014's production totals, there's only a small handful of individual knives that have a production total over 100!

Might as well add some Beer Scout photos (more interesting to look at than production totals). :D

2016:

J8cQgjO.jpg

2015:

pI0hhKs.jpg
And why did they produce so many when they are not a huge seller?

I'd argue that they are a huge seller. Before they ran the 2016's, they were sold out and the secondary market was steadily inflating.
Ha ha.. But I am not talking about pre '16. I am talking now. Why has that changed? Now I see them everywhere. Just because they increased the numbers in '16, they are not as good of a seller? Oversaturated? I do not see the inflation now and they are sure not sold out with several of the dealers.
Oh yeah... Documentation or it never happened.. Sound familiar. Ha ha ha. But with my twist.. Back at ya!!

Last edited:
Everyone was asking for them prior to last year and the market price was very inflated. I sat in the GEC booth at Blade and heard at least 30 people ask if they had any Beer Scouts. They are a great seller and something great to have on hand. Prior to the last run the big gripe was "why is GEC artificially inflating prices by not meeting demand". So, another case of there being no right action so satisfy everyone. I bought as many as the factory would let me order and haven't had any in stock for some time. The Crown Lifter is a little slower seller but I still sell 5-6 weekly.
Dealers don't want things always sold out. There needs to be inventory in order to take care of customers new and old. I love having the model in stock all the time.

Last edited:
Everyone was asking for them prior to last year and the market price was very inflated. I sat in the GEC booth at Blade and heard at least 30 people ask if they had any Beer Scouts. They are a great seller and something great to have on hand. Prior to the last run the big gripe was "why is GEC artificially inflating prices but no meeting demand". So, another case of there being no right action so satisfy everyone. I bought as many as the factory would let me order and haven't had any in stock for some time. The Crown Lifter is a little slower seller but I still sell 5-6 weekly.
Dealers don't want things always sold out. There needs to be inventory in order to take care of customers new and old. I love having the model in stock all the time.
Right. But some dealers have them in stock now and they did not just put them up on their website. They have been there. Wow! You must have quite an inventory of Crown Lifters to sell 4 to 5 weekly. I frequently see them on your site.

"why is GEC artificially inflating prices but no meeting demand"... So you're telling me people said to you that they felt GEC was jacking up the price because there was such a demand???? Freaking ridiculous.

"Dealers don't want things always sold out. There needs to be inventory in order to take care of customers new and old. I love having the model in stock all the time." I understand that concept to stagger inventory to meet new and old customers but one of the dealers I am referring to not only has had the beer scout in stock for a while, they are a big dealer and they do not rely on GEC as their major selling knives. They sell a boatload of moderns. I am quite sure they get inventory in stock, list and move it. They do not want to jack around with that game. Move that inventory.
Also, notice that game never happens with barlows. It would never work. They would sell in a heartbeat no matter how much the stock is staggered.

Last edited:
So if I understand knifewsapper, GEC is a knife factory that manufacture knives for their dealers to sell. I personally commend knifeswapper and others for the job they have done.

When I started buying, using and collecting GEC around '09 you could go to ck.net and peruse GECs offerings back to the beginning. In almost all of the handle coverings to boot. That would have cost ck plenty to have that stock on hand and wise faith in GEC to keep on ordering.

My uneducated observation is this. Small independent knife guys who are businessmen put their money behind GEC way back and kept pouring it in. The larger knife purveyors came around later. There was some nostalgia for the glitter gold a few days ago. The 56 Doglegs sat for years, even went on sale on one site.

Thanks Mike.

o
You say that like it's a bad thing...
ohh no. It is not a bad thing. I think it is good that you can pick one up. I love that. But that just means that they are not so coveted. See where I getting at? The barlows are because they are gone in minutes, although there are some great members on here that I have picked up some 25s at almost cost. So even though the barlows are coveted, they can be had if you are at the right place with patience.

So if I understand knifewsapper, GEC is a knife factory that manufacture knives for their dealers to sell. I personally commend knifeswapper and others for the job they have done.

When I started buying, using and collecting GEC around '09 you could go to ck.net and peruse GECs offerings back to the beginning. In almost all of the handle coverings to boot. That would have cost ck plenty to have that stock on hand and wise faith in GEC to keep on ordering.

My uneducated observation is this. Small independent knife guys who are businessmen put their money behind GEC way back and kept pouring it in. The larger knife purveyors came around later. There was some nostalgia for the glitter gold a few days ago. The 56 Doglegs sat for years, even went on sale on one site.

Thanks Mike.
Right. He is topnotch. And he always has my business and probably more than the other dealers. The large dealer that I am referring to, has also been around and top notch. Large is not a bad thing. And they are in the heart of traditional knife country, I might add. So the traditonal makers are definitely in the loop with them.
And I am sure Mike will even tell you and you can notice in his comments at times that the loyalty only goes so far. I commend Mike for being with GEC early on but GEC has expanded the dealer network. And look what Mike did with the Roundhead. He branched. So that loyalty is awesome and it means something but you also have to look out for numero uno! Both are doing that well and I commend them for that. Definitely a balance.
"When I started buying, using and collecting GEC around '09 you could go to ck.net and peruse GECs offerings back to the beginning. In almost all of the handle coverings to boot. That would have cost ck plenty to have that stock on hand and wise faith in GEC to keep on ordering."
Yes for sure. But Mike had a vision that it would pay off down the road and took that risk. I admire him for that. Look where it has landed him now. Probably the largest GEC dealer to date! He is no dummy!!!!

Last edited:
o

ohh no. It is not a bad thing. I think it is good that you can pick one up. I love that. But that just means that they are not so coveted. See where I getting at? The barlows are because they are gone in minutes, although there are some great members on here that I have picked up some 25s at almost cost. So even though the barlows are coveted, they can be had if you are at the right place with patience.

What is your end game here? Are you trying to say that GEC should only produce TC/NF Barlows? Are you saying that GEC was wrong to produce so many Beer Scouts? I'm just not sure what your point is here.

Back