Lets talk GEC!

Personally, I always thought the Beer Scout had too much knife and not enough cap lifter. :D

C3zFYaI.jpg

I had a single-blade #15 One Arm Opener for a while, and carried it once or twice. I never had that happen, but that pokey little protrusion jabbed me in the fingers a couple times while reaching in my pocket, and I think it could probably tear a hole in your pocket if you carried one long enough. (Heck, I've heard people complain about knives with square bolsters wearing holes in their pockets, and that pokey doodad is a lot sharper than a square-bolstered Case stockman.)
Ha ha ha!!!! Where was the early reserve on that one?? I would have bought two!! A user and a safe queen!!:D:D:D

Bizarre? Not at all. I did not say that I would never use. I just said I do not use. I am sure many people own this knife and do not use the caplifter on a daily basis. Not using it would not prevent me from buying. I just made a general comment about it. I very much liked the Cocobolo on the Beer Scout and the sheepsfoot is probably my favorite. Yeah, here in the States, most soft drinks are in cans. Although you can still get Coca Cola and Pepsi in a bottle with cap.
How about you? Did you buy it for the caplifter to pop beers?

It hangs from a nail in the kitchen as I find it a very handy knife for there. The Sheepfoot usually cuts Oranges, Lemon,Limes for drinks, the lifter opens beer,cider and tonic-waters and the screwdriver is a great pry bar for loosening screw-caps on jars. No kitchen should be without one:D:cool:

Yeah I am off the sauce now but when I did I usually used the back end of a lighter to bust off a beer cap. Sounds like you are quite handy in the kitchen. I on the other hand am not. Ha ha. Not a good cook and my GECs usually find most time when I am out doing yardwork or just tearing down boxes.

Love the beer scout/cap lifter pattern! Super useful combo.

Also, I'm looking forward to the smooth Appaloosa bone 78 that I just preordered. What configurations are people most excited about for the 78?

While I'm definitely looking forward to picking up a #78, I haven't been able to look at that busy production schedule and even come close to deciding which one(s) I'll get. It doesn't help that GEC won't commit to what color the jigged bone is going to be until they're basically done with them. Also, if the Gabon Ebony was going to be a Tidioute, I'd definitely be in that one, but a Northfield with a cloud shield doesn't really appeal to me. I'm just going to wait and see what strikes my fancy when they come off the line.

Barrett, you are preaching to the choir. With the bigger production runs that GEC is now doing, I don't think anyone needs to panic on pulling the trigger on one. There will be enough to go around in the early stages. SFO's might be a different story but once the flippers figure out the gains are minimal, even that may come to pass.

I am a big proponent of the larger GEC runs, gives more people more time to consider what they really want. Just don't linger a week or two deciding....

Barrett, you are preaching to the choir. With the bigger production runs that GEC is now doing, I don't think anyone needs to panic on pulling the trigger on one. There will be enough to go around in the early stages. SFO's might be a different story but once the flippers figure out the gains are minimal, even that may come to pass.

I am a big proponent of the larger GEC runs, gives more people more time to consider what they really want. Just don't linger a week or two deciding....
Absolutely 100% in agreement.

I had a single-blade #15 One Arm Opener for a while, and carried it once or twice. I never had that happen, but that pokey little protrusion jabbed me in the fingers a couple times while reaching in my pocket, and I think it could probably tear a hole in your pocket if you carried one long enough. (Heck, I've heard people complain about knives with square bolsters wearing holes in their pockets, and that pokey doodad is a lot sharper than a square-bolstered Case stockman.)

I've rotated 3 pairs of these Carhartt pants Mon-Fri for the last ~2 years. Everyday that I've worn them in the last year and a half, there has been a Case Peanut and a Maratac AAA in the watch pocket. I don't remember exactly when it happened, but 2 pair now look like this, and the 3rd pair isn't far behind. The woes of EDC, I guess.

IMG_20170919_055750_2.jpg

I would not carry the razor 15 in anything but a leather slip, personally.

What are you carryin, saw blades? Don't know about how the Churchills will feel, but I had to go for a Yellow Rose.

I haven't handled it Mike so I guess you mean a little too pointy with a hard pull. I considered it but only to mod the blade to a clip but decided against it.

I've rotated 3 pairs of these Carhartt pants Mon-Fri for the last ~2 years. Everyday that I've worn them in the last year and a half, there has been a Case Peanut and a Maratac AAA in the watch pocket. I don't remember exactly when it happened, but 2 pair now look like this, and the 3rd pair isn't far behind. The woes of EDC, I guess.

IMG_20170919_055750_2.jpg

I would not carry the razor 15 in anything but a leather slip, personally.

You sure that's not MOTH ATTACK??:D:eek:

I really would not want to carry a one arm opener in any pocket without a sheath, your fingers might get jabbed without it and other things too....:eek:

I wonder if KSF will have an SFO that is not in the calendar? There was an earlier post about a GEC 79 being the foundation of Indian River Jack. What does a 78 become?

,,,Mike in Canada

I wonder if KSF will have an SFO that is not in the calendar? There was an earlier post about a GEC 79 being the foundation of Indian River Jack. What does a 78 become?

,,,Mike in Canada

Mike, a few pages back, Bill posted a comparison photo of the 78 and 79 patterns. They look like the same frame but with the main blade pivoting on opposite ends.

I would be surprised to see GEC produce an Indian River Jack although anything is possible. It was built by Queen Cutlery on their 99 frame.

Reactions: HST
Man, still no updates on GEC's website. Tomorrow will be one week since the last pattern was released. I realize that they have to retool for the next pattern but I hope they haven't run into problems. I can't help wondering if they might be working on eliminating or reducing blade rub on the Churchills but that's only speculation of course.

Reactions: HST
Man, still no updates on GEC's website. Tomorrow will be one week since the last pattern was released. I realize that they have to retool for the next pattern but I hope they haven't run into problems. I can't help wondering if they might be working on eliminating or reducing blade rub on the Churchills but that's only speculation of course.
Perhaps they don't want to distract folks from buying the Calf Pen just yet.

All it's doing for me is wearing out the refresh button on their site.:)

I think they may be working on an sfo at the moment, but the 35 run should be starting up shortly. Bill takes his vacation the first week of October, and so GEC will be closed that week and that will slow production somewhat. But heck! It's almost huntin' season anyway so a guy might need his cash for gas! ;)

Back