Lets talk GEC!

What's the consensus on the calf pen now that people have had a chance to use them for a little while? The first time I saw it I thought it looked great, despite being a little weird. As someone who works outside most of the time, it looked to me like it would be pretty handy - one hand opening and locking blade can be useful sometimes on a work knife. Although I can also see how it could be overkill for opening mail in an office. I'd love to get one, but can't really justify it right now. It's pretty similar in size to the hayn helper that I currently use a lot at work. So anyway, what do people think, if they're still available sometime down the road and I decide I can justify it? Does everyone have holes in their pockets from the one arm blade?:D

I like it,but my use is probably lighter than yours. No holes in my pockets yet :)

I’m very happy with mine
I rounded the sharp point on the one arm blade to reduce pocket holes and always keep the blade up in the pocket
To be honest this knife with a clip or a drop instead of an one arm would be a fantastic yet ugly knife
The screwdriver works great to open beers when used in a similar fashion as a bic lighter.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear people like them. I wondered if the screwdriver could be used for bottle caps, good to know.

What's the consensus on the calf pen now that people have had a chance to use them for a little while? The first time I saw it I thought it looked great, despite being a little weird. As someone who works outside most of the time, it looked to me like it would be pretty handy - one hand opening and locking blade can be useful sometimes on a work knife. Although I can also see how it could be overkill for opening mail in an office. I'd love to get one, but can't really justify it right now. It's pretty similar in size to the hayn helper that I currently use a lot at work. So anyway, what do people think, if they're still available sometime down the road and I decide I can justify it? Does everyone have holes in their pockets from the one arm blade?:D
I have one and have carried it quite a bit. I have not torn a hole in my pocket from the one arm razor but I can see how that might happen. This is a robust knife and the fit and finish is quite good. I do not work outside as my job but I am outside quite bit doing yardwork, especially now it is fall in the Northeast. I really do not see a need for the liner lock. Just my opinion. Finally, I really have nothing bad to say about this knife. It is a no frills knife that seems like it would be an excellent working knife that will last the test of time. I guess I am more into the "collectible" type knives with premium handle materials. Just my taste and the Calf Pen is more suited for a more serious user than myself. I think you would really like it as a hard user for your job in the outdoors. Also, you can pick one up any time and no need to rush if you decide to get one at a later time. They will be there when you are ready.

Speaking of Appaloosa, I'm holding out hope we might see "Storm Bone" Appaloosa on the 81's. If you haven't seen it, it's pictured in Charlies TC giveaway thread. Sure is nice looking. I have one of DLT's 54's from the last run of Appaloosa from GEC and it's nice, but lacking in the translucence I was hoping for. Don't get me wrong, DLT's 54 Appaloosa is a good looking knife. Before I received it I was hoping for more depth in the covers with a high polish... as I'm now hoping for on the 81's. If I recall correctly it seems polished bone knives haven't been made in the same frequency as the past. Seems like a lot of jigged bone lately. I like jigged bone, but one of my most prized knives is a 2 blade smooth autumn gold bone Northfield barlow because of the covers. Well, now that I'm thinking about this as I'm typing, I usually carry a smooth autumn gold washington jack... Just sharing some random thoughts..

GEC if your reading this, Storm polished bone 81's please :)

Picture from google (haven't finished transferring my images from Photobucket)

s-l500.jpg

Picture from DLT - sorry for the size!

GEC-8968__87736.1503014299.1280.1280.jpg

I know you didn't post yours, but I always love it when someone brings up the 77 TWO BLADE smooth autumn gold bone. It is by far the nicest bone gec has ever released.
I don't regret not getting many particular knives, but that one is definitely one that I drool over to this day. Maybe one day I'll find one at a reasonable price when I can swing it, but for now I'll just have to be content living vicariously through y'all.

On another note, either I'm spoiled by my two blade 77 barlow in smooth white bone or gec just hasn't produced anything that I'm overly crazy about. Don't get me wrong. They have put out some sweet patterns, but this has been the first year I've been ok just watching from the sidelines since I started with this mess.

I think it also has a lot to do with finally being at a place where I pretty much know what I want in a high end pocket knife. I like this place but at the same time I kind of miss the days where every run topped the last.

I figured I ought to add a current pic of my 77. It's still getting carried just about daily
UJkEH3r.jpg

Last edited:
On another note, either I'm spoiled by my two blade 77 barlow in smooth white bone or gec just hasn't produced anything that I'm overly crazy about. Don't get me wrong. They have put out some sweet patterns, but this has been the first year I've been ok just watching from the sidelines since I started with this mess.

I think it also has a lot to do with finally being at a place where I pretty much know what I want in a high end pocket knife. I like this place but at the same time I kind of miss the days where every run topped the last.

I figured I ought to add a current pic of my 77. It's still getting carried just about daily
UJkEH3r.jpg
I am dyin' to see another run of "Barthams," but I just do not see it happening any time soon. 77 Barlow is by far my favorite of all!!

I know you didn't post yours, but I always love it when someone brings up the 77 TWO BLADE smooth autumn gold bone. It is by far the nicest bone gec has ever released.
I don't regret not getting many particular knives, but that one is definitely one that I drool over to this day. Maybe one day I'll find one at a reasonable price when I can swing it, but for now I'll just have to be content living vicariously through y'all.

Picture of mine... the depth of bone doesn't show up well on images...

R9lgVVx.jpg

UJkEH3r.jpg

Single blade... what your covers looked like new :)

Xt73xlI.jpg

If you go to the production totals on GEC's site, in 2007, you will see listings for patterns with numbers.
So what are #10s, #50s and number #60s??? Those numbers don't correspond to anything I remember seeing!!

Anyone have a guess on when the 78 American Jacks will hit the production line or retailers? I am single blade fan and this one is a nice size. I am curious what the jigged bone will be on the standard Tidioute and Northfield.

,,,Mike in Canada

Anyone have a guess on when the 78 American Jacks will hit the production line or retailers? I am single blade fan and this one is a nice size. I am curious what the jigged bone will be on the standard Tidioute and Northfield.

,,,Mike in Canada

I'm torn on what to get if anything. It's the same size as a 77 and I already have a few of those.. so I might pass, but not sure because of all the great options and it's in a size I like. I'm looking forward to seeing what the shields will look like on the SFO's. I'm wondering if the tortoise shell acrylic will have the red streaks like it has in the past. The mock up has the red streaks.

As far as a guess when they will arrive? I will take a shot at it, but that's all it is, just a guess. Since GEC is closed, and judging from the 35 pictures in progress, I'd guess we might see a tiny portion of the run the last week of this month. I'd guess the bulk of the run will be first and second week of November - just a guess... about as good as betting on horses.

Because we all like pictures...

78-Kifer-Tortoise-Shell.jpg

Back