Lets talk GEC!

What?! I wonder why they haven't been updating their page... Looks fantastic, though. Clean, simple, and ready to work.

I suppose he can clarify what knife he was referring to. The Yankee Whittler doesn't come in the Peachseed that I am aware of.

I am new enough at this that anything I say can be taken with copious amounts of salt. :D I am also new enough at this that shields, pretty, ugly, or nonexistent, don't have a huge factor in my purchasing decisions. Pattern first, blade shape/configuration second, cover material third, and everything else comes after. I also realized that I was envisioning the cloud shield wrong.... This is what you are referring to? Does GEC call it a cloud when it is actually a keyhole?

eHcsZyV.png

If that is the case, I think it looks fantastic. Thank you, I do feel better now. :)

GEC refers to it as the Keyhole shield. I see a fair number of posts from people that don't like it. I think they are seeing a cloud... I see an old steam trunk keyhole which I think looks fun. Funny thing (to me) is I think if you took a poll for preference between the Keyhole shield and Hotdog shield most people prefer the Hotdog... which is actually called Hotdog shield by GEC. Who want's a Hotdog on their pocket knife!? :)

GEC refers to it as the Keyhole shield. I see a fair number of posts from people that don't like it. I think they are seeing a cloud... I see an old steam trunk keyhole which I think looks fun. Funny thing (to me) is I think if you took a poll for preference between the Keyhole shield and Hotdog shield most people prefer the Hotdog... which is actually called Hotdog shield by GEC. Who want's a Hotdog on their pocket knife!? :)

That is certainly interesting. Why do they refer to that shield as being a Cloud shield on their production schedule then? (I ask that knowing that their production schedule shouldn't be taken as Gospel)
I think if they are one and the same, I am not going to complain one bit, I like the look of it a lot and if I were to choose between the Keyhole and the Hotdog, the Keyhole would most certainly be my preference.

That is certainly interesting. Why do they refer to that shield as being a Cloud shield on their production schedule then? (I ask that knowing that their production schedule shouldn't be taken as Gospel)
I think if they are one and the same, I am not going to complain one bit, I like the look of it a lot and if I were to choose between the Keyhole and the Hotdog, the Keyhole would most certainly be my preference.

lol, I don't know.. maybe they decided to change the name sometime back after reading this thread :)

Okay, now I'm on the hunt for something official from GEC calling this a keyhole shield. I know I've read GEC describe it as such sometime in the past. Someone else chime in if you know please? Maybe I'm confused because I know it's a keyhole shield and and I'm not recalling it correctly.

Seems like the maroon micarta is getting the hotdog treatment too. It's not my favorite, I'd prefer just a plain bar shield.

It'll be a tough choice on which to get now. The production pictures of the stag are getting me excited.

lol, I don't know.. maybe they decided to change the name sometime back after reading this thread :)

Okay, now I'm on the hunt for something official from GEC calling this a keyhole shield. I know I've read GEC describe it as such sometime in the past. Someone else chime in if you know please? Maybe I'm confused because I know it's a keyhole shield and and I'm not recalling it correctly.
I'll be honest, I always thought GEC called it a cloud shield even though it is historically known as a keyhole shield.

This of course was just my unsubstantiated perception of things, and not necessarily reality.

T.Willy referred to a #78 Yankee Whittler. The other SFOs are American Jacks including the Peachseed at SMKW.
Sorry for the mix up guy's I got my handles mixed up. I ment I was put on the list for a pick bone version not peach seed. I guess I found out what others think of this one because I got quite a few PMs asking how I reserved my knife lol. I just emailed the company and they told me ill get an email when there in. That's it. Sorry for any mix up I caused. :oops:

Sorry for the mix up guy's I got my handles mixed up. I ment I was put on the list for a pick bone version not peach seed. I guess I found out what others think of this one because I got quite a few PMs asking how I reserved my knife lol. I just emailed the company and they told me ill get an email when there in. That's it. Sorry for any mix up I caused. :oops:
thank goodness that mystery is cleared up. I can finally crack open a beer and relax. :D

I am real happy that the Churchill is a "pen" pattern, but, I always hear people asking for a #35 Scout. What exactly constitutes a "scout" pattern?

I just took a look at DLT's earlier SFO for the 54 in Appaloosa bone. Wow! What a knife. It made me pre order the DLT 78 with the same material.

Speaking of Appaloosa, I'm holding out hope we might see "Storm Bone" Appaloosa on the 81's. If you haven't seen it, it's pictured in Charlies TC giveaway thread. Sure is nice looking. I have one of DLT's 54's from the last run of Appaloosa from GEC and it's nice, but lacking in the translucence I was hoping for. Don't get me wrong, DLT's 54 Appaloosa is a good looking knife. Before I received it I was hoping for more depth in the covers with a high polish... as I'm now hoping for on the 81's. If I recall correctly it seems polished bone knives haven't been made in the same frequency as the past. Seems like a lot of jigged bone lately. I like jigged bone, but one of my most prized knives is a 2 blade smooth autumn gold bone Northfield barlow because of the covers. Well, now that I'm thinking about this as I'm typing, I usually carry a smooth autumn gold washington jack... Just sharing some random thoughts..

GEC if your reading this, Storm polished bone 81's please :)

Picture from google (haven't finished transferring my images from Photobucket)

s-l500.jpg

Picture from DLT - sorry for the size!

GEC-8968__87736.1503014299.1280.1280.jpg

So I've been putting my Unicorn Ivory Acrylic #25 to good use (being that it is an "S" or Store model) and have run into a rather annoying problem. I haven't minded the liner pulling away from the spring, but now the tang seems to have a burr or something that is digging into the liner. It has made opening and closing rather gritty and difficult, almost a nail breaking affair. I've rinsed it with soap and water, lubed it, opened and closed it numerous times, and rinsed and dried it again and it hasn't improved greatly.

I'm just looking for advice on how to fix this, as I was really enjoying carrying and using this knife (still wish I hadn't waited too long on the ebony model on the last run). Any suggestions are appreciated.

I also am still not clear on whether the Store knives are covered under warranty, and therefore able to be sent in for service. Anyone have a better idea on that than me?

A picture showing the trough the burr has dug in the liner:

Wzt0Cz8h.jpg

A picture showing the gap between liner and spring:

JKDduXIh.jpg

@Half/Stop wow absolutely stunning 08s!!!

I'm not sure what GEC's policy is on Store knives either but I think they would probably fix that free of charge regardless. It's a pretty serious defect in my opinion and obviously not caused by abuse or user error.

It's been awhile since your post. Have you contacted someone at GEC? I think that might be your best option as it will most likely require disassembly or replacement of the knife if they have any left.

So about a week after I initially emailed on August 30th I left for a 2 week hunt/expedition in Alaska set up by my father. I hadn't gotten a reply yet when I got back to where I had WiFi, so I sent another email on September 15th. I got an email back on September 21st saying that since it is a "Store Knife" the only thing they can recommend is oiling the joints. I thanked them and let them know I understand. Still, it seems a little silly to suggest oiling the joints with an issue this severe.

What I'm taking out of this is that no matter how they're branded or titled "Store Knives" are what every other company calls "seconds" and treated as such. I initially had this understanding, but then was informed that the "Store Knives" were not different than other knives they just wanted to sell them in house so that the buyer could inspect beforehand. "Store Knives" are not covered under warranty for service whether manufacturing defect or not. That's alright and I'm not upset, I've always gotten good service in the past the few times I've had issues with GEC knives, I just think it's good to put out there in case anyone is unsure.

I have been told, as I suspected, that to fix this it will have to be taken apart and put back together by a third party. Considering the cost associated and the fragility of the Unicorn Ivory Acrylic, that sounds like a losing venture. Hopefully a friendly forum member I met at the Rendezvous still has one available as he offered when I first posted about this issue.

What's the consensus on the calf pen now that people have had a chance to use them for a little while? The first time I saw it I thought it looked great, despite being a little weird. As someone who works outside most of the time, it looked to me like it would be pretty handy - one hand opening and locking blade can be useful sometimes on a work knife. Although I can also see how it could be overkill for opening mail in an office. I'd love to get one, but can't really justify it right now. It's pretty similar in size to the hayn helper that I currently use a lot at work. So anyway, what do people think, if they're still available sometime down the road and I decide I can justify it? Does everyone have holes in their pockets from the one arm blade?:D

Back