Lets talk GEC!

The other day my dad called and said "Hey, let's go ice fishing at 2 mile tomorrow." So yesterday I got up and drove the almost 2 hours north to 2 mile near Franklin. When I got there I didn't think anyone looked like my dad or his stuff so I got out my binoculars, still didn't see him, so I called and it turned out he had thought Thursday was Friday and had meant he was fishing on Saturday. So no fishing, but I decided I might as well make a trip out of it so I drove over to Titusville and stopped at GEC.

Ni7G1CLl.jpg

Every time I go there I am reminded of why they're the best. When I got there everyone was working, but as soon as I got there someone went to get Chris to open the store area. I enjoyed looking at the knife display for a bit and as I did first Mr. Howard senior walked up and greeted me by name, then Mr. Howard junior also stopped by as I was looking at knives. I mentioned how I don't like blade tips to be close to proud and he offered to grind down the kick if I'd like right then and there (it wasn't bad, I was more joking). I got a #65 Farm and Field and Fish knife in 420 stainless steel and Natural Canvas Micarta. I think these have been in the store for years, and it surprises me they haven't sold. It's a great knife with the great looking shadow pattern, sturdy construction, very practical blade and tool combination, and comfortable handle with nearly sunken joints.

So even though I didn't get to fish, I got to pick up a great fish knife!

uuUuIHcl.jpg

Seems like GEC has pushed back production of the #43 Oregon. Current schedule has the Doglegs, Mudbugs, and Bullnoses after the 78s finish up. I would think that pretty much wraps up January.

That is also not accounting for the possible mystery Northwoods run that might be in the works too...

I asked about the #43s today and they said the blades are in grinding (I guess Mr. Howard the younger was grinding blades just before I got there) but they won't be finished for a while.

I bet if they made a small stockman it would be bulky for its size as well, the old stuff generally had slimmer handles which few dare to go these days. :rolleyes:

I do still really like the 66 stockman though despite the slight bulk. The 66 calf roper slim is exactly as the name implies, however.

I think the #82 Dixie stock knife is the best stockman they've made (with the #53 Cattle Knife a close second) because it is much thinner and leaner but longer than the #66, which I think is nice on a stockman that's for use. Longer for more usable edge, but less bulky as you say, a real winner.

I do believe that would be a perfect fit for the gunstock pattern!

I agree. I kind of hope they do a checkered/scratted wood on the #44s. Bone would be nice also.

Thanks for the input. It is a shame, because this is one of the prettiest knives I have seen. knifeswapper knifeswapper Mike, I would certainly buy another, but I do not think that is possible on this one. I emailed GEC and the dealer to see what they have to say.

Yes, it's a flaw, but the stag is fantastic and the damage can be fixed if You decide to keep it.
Think jigged bone and do the same around the hole, in order to smooth out the sharp contours.
When it looks like a natural groove, it's just to dye it with black or dark brown ink.

I do that to my stag handles if they have a mechanical damage or I want to improve the shape for some reason.
One of my GEC #42's had a sawcut right across the handle, but I bought the knife anyway knowing it was fixable.

Regards
Mikael

Mikael W Mikael W thanks so much for the advice. It does look fairly easy to fix. In fact, I wonder what they did not spend a little more time on it at the factory. If it was not such perfect circle, it would not be noticeable at all. What tool would you use to jig it?

Mikael W Mikael W thanks so much for the advice. It does look fairly easy to fix. In fact, I wonder what they did not spend a little more time on it at the factory. If it was not such perfect circle, it would not be noticeable at all. What tool would you use to jig it?

I used a small round filetip and a penblade.
The tip of the file was 1/8" thick and had sharp corners.
I wiggled the tip around the damaged area and finished off with the penblade.
I let it take some time as it's precision work.

Here's the result:

IMGP5789.JPG

The repaired cut in the circle:
IMGP5789_LI.jpg

Regards
Mikael

I agree with Mikael. If it was mine, I'd take a sharp pic and lightly scrape the raised edge of the circle, going with the grain, until it disappeared. Then, restain it to match. Done carefully, you should never be able to tell.

Thanks again Mikael Mikael W Mikael W and thanks black mamba black mamba . I have already emailed GEC. My first preference is for them to fix it. If not, I would expect them to offer me a discount as a second. Then I will give it a go myself. I am going to try to make this one work, because there are no others, and it is a very nice piece of Stag. I guess in a way I am lucky, because others with better eyesight must have passed it over. I was a bit surprised that I was able to get it. Now I know why!

Back