Lets talk GEC!

I spoke to Roy via email in April of this year and he was kind enough to share he’s been talking to GEC about doing another American Whittler SFO in the future. He didn’t share anything else, but we have hope for a whittler in the future.

I'm having a hard time getting excited about the 29, especially if it is a bulky 3 spring model; that makes for a pretty heavy pocket knife and the punch is essentially useless in this day and age. I think a half-whittler would be preferable. I say lose the punch and extra spring.

As to the 97, wow, 5000 large folders is a LOT. I can only imagine that most will be displayed or put up, since it is too big to carry in your pants pocket. Large carbon steel slip-joint hunting knives have been largely usurped by the venerable Buck 110, or 112 if you prefer, since it is stainless and brass construction for corrosion resistance, and locks up so the knife doesn't fold under the stress outdoor use might put it under. 5000 is a big number, so I expect to see the 97 around for awhile.

I'd rather see GEC make more patterns and fewer numbers of them, least they go the way of some other recent cutlery companies. Why screw with a successful business model????

... Large carbon steel slip-joint hunting knives have been largely usurped by the venerable Buck 110, or 112 if you prefer, since it is stainless and brass construction for corrosion resistance, and locks up so the knife doesn't fold under the stress outdoor use might put it under...

And you can easily get nickel-steel bolsters and modern powder metallurgy stainless blades with a wide choice of covers on the 110. The price is probably lower for the fancy 110. I agree it's hard to see these being bought at users ...

Well Said Barry! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'd rather see GEC make more patterns and fewer numbers of them, least they go the way of some other recent cutlery companies. Why screw with a successful business model????

Example: 35,000 knives per year

16 or 17 patterns at approx. 2100 knives or 6 or 7 patterns at approx. 5000 knives

Personally, as a retail customer I would rather compete for a handful of low production knives...

...than see the same knives on everyone's site for months (or longer) :confused:

Maybe I'm NUTS, but it's usually a good idea to dance with who brought you. :rolleyes:

- Del

I am very glad to see a large run. It will make it possible to actually purchase a knife without having to lurk on dealers sites to grab one in the first 30 seconds after listing. I have collected just over 600 GECs in the past 3 years, it was not an easy task living in Canada. In the last few months it has become a battle to add anything to my collection, I was ready to give up. I love GEC knives for their workmanship and design. Since I don't carry any of them, size is of no concern. Having fewer but larger runs in the future would be a great deal! I am really looking forward to the classic design of the 97.

Drop the punch on the 29 and we have our "dream knife" that was attempted twice as a forum knife, but didn't really hit the mark.

You are on point this morning! Now give that knife the carbon treatment since everyone got the stainless fix and i will snag a few.

I personally would like to see them do the #29 as a splitback, and a two spring jack, à la a reverse Eureke Jack more or less. Or heck, even I single spring set up like the Churchill was.

Hmmm, does 29 kinda resemble a switched-around 92?

922213-autumn-gold.jpg

Who would be on board for a Pemberton for the 2019 BF annual knife?
Yes please. I love the Pemberton, so I will always vote for more.

I do understand that the 06 is a small knife and might not appeal to all. The new 92 pattern might be easier to get more momentum behind it. It would be great if we could get the PPP and if it had something special about it like being a split-back whittler or at the very least a two blade knife sharing one spring. Oh, and it would be nice to see that Tiger Maple used on the latest 85's on our next forum knife.

I am very glad to see a large run. It will make it possible to actually purchase a knife without having to lurk on dealers sites to grab one in the first 30 seconds after listing. I have collected just over 600 GECs in the past 3 years, it was not an easy task living in Canada. In the last few months it has become a battle to add anything to my collection, I was ready to give up. I love GEC knives for their workmanship and design. Since I don't carry any of them, size is of no concern. Having fewer but larger runs in the future would be a great deal! I am really looking forward to the classic design of the 97.
You are a man after my own heart... I tip my hat to you. I’ve got a little less than a sixth of yours and I like em a bunch

Back