Lets talk GEC!

If your sage advice had only come sooner. I antiqued them last night. While still like them, I will do something different in the future. Taking your advice into consideration.
qNme4HG.jpg
Our kids have 3' white trees that they decorate (with "guidance" from my wife). Green ornaments stand out beautifully on their trees.

I really like how each of your pieces are a little different!

Wow, I've got some catching up to do. Here's my haul for the year. Still waiting on a 92 from Germany, the Forum knife, and the Waynorth Black Jack ...

BpCrbjI.jpg
That’s a good lookin collection you’ve got there!!

Reactions: AnW
Looks like you're off to a great start! I think you should take Bill's advice and choose one to use. I was like you at one time but came to realize that true enjoyment comes from having one in your pocket and watching it age with use. They also double as good worry stones! Most of mine sit unused only to be admired on occasion but I have an extra special appreciation for my users.

Thank you.....Maybe someday I'll grab one and start using it..... The little buggers can sure get addictive!!

Our kids have 3' white trees that they decorate (with "guidance" from my wife). Green ornaments stand out beautifully on their trees.

I really like how each of your pieces are a little different!
Lol my kids decorate their own trees too.

Ok did a search for Possum Skinner, Dixie stockman and #82. Lots of hits, but no dedicated thread :oops:
So I'll post this here. Visited GP Knives today. Nice store and nice people. Recommended. I went in to buy a #44 Gunstock jack. I came out with a #12 toothpick in stag, a Buck 112 LT and this #82 Possum Skinner :p
In person browsing just beats the heck out of internet browsing, but given the scarcity of knife stores, its just not usually practical for most of us. I didn't have a two blade, single spring this big. Much to my surprise, I'm quite taken with it. Nice and slim for two blades.
sYBc3xP.jpg
egMnXog.jpg
n7xNqpK.jpg

Sorry about pic quality. Working with the light available in a hotel room:cool:

I've used a $14.00 Rough Ryder.... I don't mind if something happens to it.... But I'd hate to have a GEC get scuffed up....
I have knives I feel that way about. My two genuine Cripple Creeks for example. OTOH some knives I buy with the intention that they will be users. Those I use and enjoy and don't worry about. Maybe just pick one out and carry it and see how it goes.

Ok did a search for Possum Skinner, Dixie stockman and #82. Lots of hits, but no dedicated thread :oops:
So I'll post this here. Visited GP Knives today. Nice store and nice people. Recommended. I went in to buy a #44 Gunstock jack. I came out with a #12 toothpick in stag, a Buck 112 LT and this #82 Possum Skinner :p
In person browsing just beats the heck out of internet browsing, but given the scarcity of knife stores, its just not usually practical for most of us. I didn't have a two blade, single spring this big. Much to my surprise, I'm quite taken with it. Nice and slim for two blades.
sYBc3xP.jpg
egMnXog.jpg
n7xNqpK.jpg

My 82 possum skinner in elderberry jigged bone is one of my most carried. As you mentioned, it is very slim for what it offers.

My 82 possum skinner in elderberry jigged bone is one of my most carried. As you mentioned, it is very slim for what it offers.
They had Dixie Stockman in elderberry. Very attractive.

sYBc3xP.jpg
egMnXog.jpg
n7xNqpK.jpg

The 82 PS and DS are very under rated IMO. Once you get one in hand it doesn't take long to realize that. I have both PS and one DS and am thinking of getting another knowing they won't be run again for a while.

In person browsing just beats the heck out of internet browsing, but given the scarcity of knife stores, its just not usually practical for most of us. I didn't have a two blade, single spring this big. Much to my surprise, I'm quite taken with it. Nice and slim for two blades....
Congrats on the new knives! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
If you want another place to show off that handsome #82, here are a couple of threads, new and old, to check out:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/2018-82-dixie-stockman-and-possum-skinner-run.1629097/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/oh-i-wish-i-were-in-the-land-of-cotton-the-82-dixie.1173620/

- GT

Congrats on the new knives! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
If you want another place to show off that handsome #82, here are a couple of threads, new and old, to check out:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/2018-82-dixie-stockman-and-possum-skinner-run.1629097/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/oh-i-wish-i-were-in-the-land-of-cotton-the-82-dixie.1173620/

- GT
Huh. Thanks. I guess I didn't look back through enough pages of the search. I'm going off the grid (mostly) for the next week or two. You and yours have a good Thanksgiving.

If your sage advice had only come sooner. I antiqued them last night. While still like them, I will do something different in the future. Taking your advice into consideration.
qNme4HG.jpg
Om gosh, they all look so great! Cool project.

What a difference a year makes ... A year ago I was on my way to deer camp and decided to stop at GEC in Titusville..... I owned many modern folders and only a couple traditionals but no GEC's.... I wanted to pick up a knife that said "Tidioute"....

Bill Howard greeted me and took me into the store..... I looked through his display cases and finally settled on a single blade 38 in Bocote wood.... Bill encouraged me to use the knife but I told him that I'd keep it as a souvenir.... I told him that I liked modern folders better..

So some time goes by and I fell into the rabbit hole..... Haven't bought a modern folder since but you can see I have picked up a couple GEC's!!.. The photo shows the GEC knives I've bought in the past year.... I really like GEC but never use them.... So far my favorite is a 93 Ramfoot in Oily bone...View attachment 1237638
What's that, like a new GEC every two days for two months straight. Can't wait to see what you have after a full year. ;)

qNme4HG.jpg
Those are great. :cool::thumbsup:

I have two #86 Oil Field Oily Creek Bone jack knives. I put some black leather dye on the used knife and I had it drying. I grabbed the wrong jack to cut food. Now I have two used patina #86 jacks . Booooo Hoooo ! Somebody call a Wambulance ! Ba-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

Back