Lets talk GEC!

Ok did a search for Possum Skinner, Dixie stockman and #82. Lots of hits, but no dedicated thread :oops:
So I'll post this here. Visited GP Knives today. Nice store and nice people. Recommended. I went in to buy a #44 Gunstock jack. I came out with a #12 toothpick in stag, a Buck 112 LT and this #82 Possum Skinner :p
In person browsing just beats the heck out of internet browsing, but given the scarcity of knife stores, its just not usually practical for most of us. I didn't have a two blade, single spring this big. Much to my surprise, I'm quite taken with it. Nice and slim for two blades.
sYBc3xP.jpg
egMnXog.jpg
n7xNqpK.jpg

Sorry about pic quality. Working with the light available in a hotel room:cool:
Excellent choice. I too have an 82 PS in natural micarta. I originally had one in Elderberry but let it go during my big knife sell-off. After I was able to buy a few knives the 82 was one of the first. I also think it is one of GEC’s most underrated knives, along with the almost perfect #12 Tidioutes. Slim, light, long enough for any grip, with two excellent blade shapes and those thin, thin flat grinds. I’m seriously considering an 82 DS while they are still available.
img_7649.jpg

I’m seriously considering an 82 DS while they are still available.

I can nudge you in that direction.

The 82 is one of my favorite stockman variants I have ever had. The blade configuration is unique and very practical, great size and proportions. They are absolutely a winner. The possum skinner is only a mere 2/3 the knife that the dixie is!

My micarta dixie is a wonderful knife to carry and use. The pulls are easy but firm. I like hard pulls but these ones are nothing to complain about, most people would probably consider them ideal, around 5 or 6. Micarta is tough and I don't have to worry about it if I'm rolling around on the knife while I'm working. Blades are well ground and cut well, a little better than a lot of my other gec's. It looks better the more I use it.

IMG_5365_Original.JPG

Last edited:
What a difference a year makes ... A year ago I was on my way to deer camp and decided to stop at GEC in Titusville..... I owned many modern folders and only a couple traditionals but no GEC's.... I wanted to pick up a knife that said "Tidioute"....

Bill Howard greeted me and took me into the store..... I looked through his display cases and finally settled on a single blade 38 in Bocote wood.... Bill encouraged me to use the knife but I told him that I'd keep it as a souvenir.... I told him that I liked modern folders better..

So some time goes by and I fell into the rabbit hole..... Haven't bought a modern folder since but you can see I have picked up a couple GEC's!!.. The photo shows the GEC knives I've bought in the past year.... I really like GEC but never use them.... So far my favorite is a 93 Ramfoot in Oily bone...View attachment 1237638

You should really try using one! I know not everyone derives enjoyment from using them, but you might! And it's not like you only have one or two...

Great start!

Ok did a search for Possum Skinner, Dixie stockman and #82. Lots of hits, but no dedicated thread :oops:
So I'll post this here. Visited GP Knives today. Nice store and nice people. Recommended. I went in to buy a #44 Gunstock jack. I came out with a #12 toothpick in stag, a Buck 112 LT and this #82 Possum Skinner :p
In person browsing just beats the heck out of internet browsing, but given the scarcity of knife stores, its just not usually practical for most of us. I didn't have a two blade, single spring this big. Much to my surprise, I'm quite taken with it. Nice and slim for two blades.
sYBc3xP.jpg
egMnXog.jpg
n7xNqpK.jpg

Sorry about pic quality. Working with the light available in a hotel room:cool:

My most carried slipjoint so far this year I believe. Great practical user!

I'm enthusiastic about the 82 frame too, was very glad GEC branched out and offered it as a large Penknife single spring Skinner model. This version offers versatility and is a comfortable carry, I dislike heavy bulky knives in the trouser pocket, such types either never get carried or only winter time in a top-coat.

However, think with the Dixie Stockman, the first run of this pattern was superior in materials and build to this year's run. The W&T and slant bolsters on the original Blackwood Northfield I have outclass the Elderberry Bone from this year and function as in W&T is markedly better. I rather feel the same about the 92 Eureka as well I regret to say; the original all steel construction , side by side nail nicks and having Barehead variants; outdo the latest version. Nevertheless, GEC is right to offer different formulations and to appeal to many tastes, just looking forward to the 62 Courthouse Whittler . That could actually be better than the original;) judging by the prelim offerings, with possible SFO additions too.:cool:

41xEZZG.jpg

Last edited:
I have two #86 Oil Field Oily Creek Bone jack knives. I put some black leather dye on the used knife and I had it drying. I grabbed the wrong jack to cut food. Now I have two used patina #86 jacks . Booooo Hoooo ! Somebody call a Wambulance ! Ba-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

:eek::rolleyes: Take a chill-pill;) Get some metal polish and finish with a strop and nobody will know...:D At least you haven't scuffed it all up...;)

I have two #86 Oil Field Oily Creek Bone jack knives. I put some black leather dye on the used knife and I had it drying. I grabbed the wrong jack to cut food. Now I have two used patina #86 jacks . Booooo Hoooo ! Somebody call a Wambulance ! Ba-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !
o_O You’re dying the Oily Creek black?

I'm enthusiastic about the 82 frame too, was very glad GEC branched out and offered it as a large Penknife single spring Skinner model. This version offers versatility and is a comfortable carry, I dislike heavy bulky knives in the trouser pocket, such types either never get carried or only winter time in a top-coat.

However, think with the Dixie Stockman, the first run of this pattern was superior in materials and build to this year's run. The W&T and slant bolsters on the original Blackwood Northfield I have outclass the Elderberry Bone from this year and function as in W&T is markedly better. I rather feel the same about the 92 Eureka as well I regret to say; the original all steel construction , side by side nail nicks and having Barehead variants; outdo the latest version. Nevertheless, GEC is right to offer different formulations and to appeal to many tastes, just looking forward to the 62 Courthouse Whittler . That could actually be better than the original;) judging by the prelim offerings, with possible SFO additions too.:cool:

41xEZZG.jpg
If they could have done the 82 with a spear and standard clip like the bull moose I’d have picked one up. I love the functionality the 82 seems to have, but I’m not enamored of the muskrat clip and wharncliff secondary.

If they could have done the 82 with a spear and standard clip like the bull moose I’d have picked one up. I love the functionality the 82 seems to have, but I’m not enamored of the muskrat clip and wharncliff secondary.
Plenty of 81s still available. That's what's nice about traditionals a little something for everyone.

Plenty of 81s still available. That's what's nice about traditionals a little something for everyone.
I’ve seen those but I’ve hesitated because they seem just a touch larger than I’d like. Something about the lines didn’t appeal to me as much either. I think I like the rounded bolsters on the 82 better.

I’ve seen those but I’ve hesitated because they seem just a touch larger than I’d like. Something about the lines didn’t appeal to me as much either. I think I like the rounded bolsters on the 82 better.
I have/had both. The 81 is a smidge shorter but feels larger, I think for the exact reason you noted, the bolsters. The 82 is also slimmer, I prefer the 82 and moved my 81 on.

I have/had both. The 81 is a smidge shorter but feels larger, I think for the exact reason you noted, the bolsters. The 82 is also slimmer, I prefer the 82 and moved my 81 on.
Sounds like I need to rethink my disdain for muskrat clips :)

I am interested. Why do you have disdain for the muskrat clips?
Just the look to be honest. Functionally it looks like a really useful blade, but I like the wider blade of the other styles over the narrow muskrat. A California clip is a nice compromise—the wider blade with the longer curve—and even upswept tip of the Persian I prefer to the muskrat. Just the look.

Just the look to be honest. Functionally it looks like a really useful blade, but I like the wider blade of the other styles over the narrow muskrat. A California clip is a nice compromise—the wider blade with the longer curve—and even upswept tip of the Persian I prefer to the muskrat. Just the look.
I am like you and prefer a wider blade but got the 82 for a good price as my first GEC. I find myself using it more than any of the other in my collection. The thin blade is more than enough for 90% of what I need it for and the warncliffe can easily tackle the other 10%. All in all I’d recommend it any day of the week.

I am like you and prefer a wider blade but got the 82 for a good price as my first GEC. I find myself using it more than any of the other in my collection. The thin blade is more than enough for 90% of what I need it for and the warncliffe can easily tackle the other 10%. All in all I’d recommend it any day of the week.
That is the beauty of the Dixie. With the muskrat clip being a slicing machine, the warncliff for a straight edge, and the drop point instead of a spey for the heavy cuts. There was some thought behind these variations and it make the stockman for a non-rancher in 2019.

I would like to see a cattle knife in 2020. In the 3.5 to 4 inch range with a punch instead of a spey.

I would like to see a cattle knife in 2020. In the 3.5 to 4 inch range with a punch instead of a spey.
100% agree about the cattle knife with a punch rather than the Spey. I’ve got a case stockman with a clip main, sheepfoot, and punch and love the blade combo.

Back