Lets talk GEC!

Alrho
I have both stockman and skinner. I only carry the skinner, love the thin package vs its bigger brother. The blade selection is great on both and you really cant go wrong either way

VABL7C6.jpg

W0Zr4LH.jpg
Although the stockman isn’t too much thicker than the skinner and the third blade can come very useful, I too seem to only carry my skinner. But as you said, can’t go wrong with either.

The Victoronix line of "camp" knives are readily available, high quality, and reasonably priced. In considering utility alone I'd pick a SAK Farmer over the GEC Camp knife.

I'm a big fan of SAKs, but I've never seen one with bone or jigged handles.

I am happy today. While packing for a trip this morning I ran across my ebony crown lifter. It has been missing for nearly two years. I found it in a little used camera bag. I guess I won't have to mention what is going to be in my pocket this week. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Glad you found it! I consider my Crown Lifter my "party knife" :D
ozog7zX.jpg

They ran the cattle knives both 3 and 4 blade versions on the 53/54 frame about 9 years ago. I have a user 4 blade and really like it for more reasons than just the added punch. All the blades are very thin to start and three of the 4 blades begin profiling after being offset ground. This means they are all thin and are real lasers at slicing. Very sharp. Take a look at the clip blade on a 54 moose and then the clip blade on the 53 cattle baron, big difference. The sheep on the 53 is the only blade not offset ground. It is pushed over space with a hollowed liner and is soooo thin. To do this on the 35, it would be cool. They would be expensive though. Maybe we could help it get started, if enough members were into this pattern, by encouraging it as a BF knife. I bet it would be just south of $200 though.

Glad you found it! I consider my Crown Lifter my "party knife" :D
ozog7zX.jpg
probably the best knife they've designed as an actual knife to be used, lots of utility, no extra blades. don't understand the need for more than one blade on a knife in these times.

probably the best knife they've designed as an actual knife to be used, lots of utility, no extra blades. don't understand the need for more than one blade on a knife in these times.
I don't know about that. It depends on the task. I feel like one of the advantages over modern style knives is extra blade selection. I do agree the Crown Lifter is all I need to bring to a party.:):thumbsup:

I don't know about that. It depends on the task. I feel like one of the advantages over modern style knives is extra blade selection. I do agree the Crown Lifter is all I need to bring to a party.:):thumbsup:
im a craftsman, all I need is one blade, its a tool, the screwdriver is extremely useful to me as well. I am not a collector but do have a few GEC knives, and will probably unload most because I find the cap lifter is the one I actually use.
what do you feel is the benefit of having multiple blades in one knife? all I see is redundancy and extra weight in my pocket.

Having different blades all housed in different handles would surely load down your pockets considerably more.

it is historically and contemporarily obvious that different blade sizes and shapes are meant for different types of cutting tasks. Why carry multiple knives when one can carry one knife with multiple blades?

Back