Lets talk GEC!

I'm patiently waiting for the 23s. I keep dreaming of using a 23 to skin a buck, slice garden fresh tomatoes and peeling an apple! :cool:

I hope GEC comes back better than ever! I know they will!

You and me both! I wasn't too excited about the 23s when first announced, but I reserved one anyway and I'm glad I did. A couple of days ago, I spent about an hour looking at all of the knife release art on the GEC website (yes I was bored) and that really got my juices flowing. This knife will be great for hunting, working outside, etc just like you mentioned. Reports from PA are that our virus situation should peak in the coming week, so maybe they'll be able to get back to work in early May.

On a side note, what a nostalgic trip to look at the images on the knife release artwork. Takes me back to my childhood for sure.

Anybody here from Pennsylvania that can give us any info about possible return to work date? All I can find online is that they let everyone in construction go back to work yesterday.

In this country, construction work & some industries continue-if there's money to pay for them..but that's here. If construction's back & running let's hope small scale but MAJOR IMPORTANCE firms like GEC can get back to it.:D:thumbsup:

So, heres a question for all of you I have been wondering for quite some time. Why do the GEC 38 specials not get any love? I have 2 of them and they are beautiful knives. At first glance they function kinda like a single blade trapper which is very popular. They are a bit slimmer and at a great closed length, which I would also think would be popular. But, ever since that last run of them came out there are still a lot of them setting on the shelves of dealers when every other GEC pattern gets sold out fairly quickly. Or if certain dealers are sold out of them now, it took a very long time compared to GEC standards.

So, what do you guys think? Why does the 38 Special not get the love every other pattern gets??

2aLEsWs.jpg

So, heres a question for all of you I have been wondering for quite some time. Why do the GEC 38 specials not get any love? I have 2 of them and they are beautiful knives. At first glance they function kinda like a single blade trapper which is very popular. They are a bit slimmer and at a great closed length, which I would also think would be popular. But, ever since that last run of them came out there are still a lot of them setting on the shelves of dealers when every other GEC pattern gets sold out fairly quickly. Or if certain dealers are sold out of them now, it took a very long time compared to GEC standards.

So, what do you guys think? Why does the 38 Special not get the love every other pattern gets??

2aLEsWs.jpg
Also, they have a reputation of having weak springs with anemic closing.

There was some discussion of this in the #.38 special thread. For me, the issue was the ergonomics, as JohnDF pointed out. You can’t just take any handle with any blade and get great results with each variation. This one didn’t really work.

They are pretty knives though, and very easy to carry.

I think it's a question of scale. They opted to use a different type of blade the slimmer Turkish Clip rather than a conventional burlier Clip. The Turkish Clip is slim but on its own looks skimpy, works properly in conjunction with other blades. A single blade frame needs to have a sturdier looking blade, this frame could work well as a single Spear or Drop-Point. A Laguiole has a slender frame but boasts a formidable blade, possibly Toothpick as well.

Another aspect may play: if something is perceived as popular then everybody joins the pack and chases after it ;) Conversely, if it's perceived as unloved then group-think shies away from it ;) There are plenty of examples in consumer history of this, also politics, public life and even the work-place :D Irrationality can be a factor:)

The #38 to me looks foreign. French or whatever. Antique American is a fat clip. Sissy knife.

That said, I'm fond of mine, popularity or no popularity :D

fwiwGmo.jpg

I kind of like mine too, in fact I think I'll carry it today. They're a bit quirky looking but I find them to be interesting to look at. I guess I don't like it enough to buy more than one, although I've often thought of adding a Tractor Green, but it generally does what I need a knife to do. The pulls on mine are not strong but not overly soft either - I guess something like a 4. If they ever do another run of the Grinlings I would for sure be all over them!

L8Venoz.jpg

I kind of like mine too, in fact I think I'll carry it today. They're a bit quirky looking but I find them to be interesting to look at. I guess I don't like it enough to buy more than one, although I've often thought of adding a Tractor Green, but it generally does what I need a knife to do. The pulls on mine are not strong but not overly soft either - I guess something like a 4. If they ever do another run of the Grinlings I would for sure be all over them!

L8Venoz.jpg
I like the dog leg shape :)

Who would not like that particular knife just for the Covers ???:):):) IMHO the knife is Okay except for the Blade . My wife bought this one because she did not want one with Stag .

I doubt that it has ever been carried .

Harry
I remember that 38 Harry! Y'all bought it at the Rendezvous! :thumbsup: It's got some beautiful Bocote! :) :thumbsup:

I think one fallacy here is that the 38 is unloved because it is a pattern still sitting on dealers shelves....there are lots of patterns sitting on dealers shelves. Some covers are gone but lots of knives from almost all standard patterns (excluding the SFOs) from the last few years are still available. GEC is just producing greater volumes of each knife these days. Kills me when you see recent models that are still available at retail at the GEC distributers being offered on the big auction site for significant markups...they sit and sit...hope some of those flippers are experiencing cash flow problems...sorry I digresso_O

Last edited:
Back