Lets talk GEC!

More patterns... in fewer materials... in larger numbers... :cool::thumbsup:
I'd like same # of patterns, MORE materials and less numbers is fine. It seems you can usually get a non SFO without pre ordering so long as you dont wait a month to order.

I liked the SFOs, but if this means more variety and more patterns per year then I am for it. I just hope they incorporate some of the less common shield we've seen in them. Now we need to convince them to ditch the blade etchings and we have a perfect, quality built pocket knife on our hands.

I personally would like to see some more patterns coming down the line. But, will miss the surprise SFO & Northwoods offerings

Last edited:
I was hoping the Piasa bird etch would become a big thing in the world.

So many creative knifes the past SFO’s offered, this is how it must have felt that mournful day when Smith & Wesson decided “we don’t need 5 screws to hold our revolvers together, let’s just use 4 screws”

My first GEC was a TC Barlow. The last 7 years I’ve followed GEC pretty closely, and many of the knives I’ve most enjoyed have been SFOs. I’m not naive enough to comment on this as a business decision, as I know very well that these unprecedented times put unprecedented pressures on small businesses that call for unprecedented decisions, but as a user, collector, and general fan of GEC and their knives I have to say I’m shocked and saddened by this decision.

I plan to do my best not to react till we have more info. If nothing else, it will be extremely interesting to see how this changes how people enjoy and interact with GEC in the future.

I hope Mike doesn't mind me moving his quote over to this thread...
I thought it might be better to leave the Forum Knife discussion uncluttered.

I was wondering if this meant we won't see any more NF and TC Barlows? :eek:

As confirmed by Mike, it does. No non in house branded knives.

knifeswapper knifeswapper - do you know if this is just to get back on track this year because of the covid closure or is this a permanent decision?

I just talked to Joan Mae, and she said at least for the time being. Not clear if that more indicates temporary or permanent.

Maher & Grosch as well... :(

Yep. An old brand reinvigorated by GEC.....

Sounds permanent. Waynorth, Northwoods, MG, Smith, et.al. TC barlows, #77 barlows, et.al.

Not really a lot of clarification. But I think it has more to do with complications than capacity. My interpretation may be off a bit - as I have already told more than I know ;)

I hope those complications are temporary and allow for this to be a temporary decision. I very much understand that for small businesses these are difficult times that require unprecedented decisions, so I’m doing my best to reserve judgement on the decision till we know more.

I hope this opens the doors for a regular production GEC Barlow.
I love TC and NF Barlows, but I'm so DONE with Loliscrambles and Secondary Markets.

I sure don’t. @waynorth and knifeswapper knifeswapper and Jay at KSF have absolutely helped propel GEC to its current popularity. This will hurt them financially on its own due to the lack of ability to have their products made, let alone if GEC uses those brands for themselves.

Northwoods is owned by KSF, but I believe TC and NF are more gentleman’s agreements. I assume Waynorth Cutlery is owned by Charlie.

Seems like this will make secondary markets worse. I know I'm not selling any GEC SFO's anytime soon. If GEC runs a factory Barlow I don't see it not being a loliscramble to get one.

It will definitely raise secondary market prices on SFO Knives.

Would we rather have more SFOs or more patterns produced per year?

I don’t know, but I’m not too sure those correlate negatively as clearly as you might think.

I hope the #33's are not a hint at another change - just two variations per pattern. More patterns - a fraction of the options.....

Yes. Although someone said the low variations of 33s was just because it was what they had on hand, that doesn’t seem like a full picture to me. I can’t help but think these two pieces of news might be related.

I don’t know, but I’m not too sure those correlate negatively as clearly as you might think.
Please elaborate...

I was asking if we would like to see more SFOs or more patterns throughout the year?

Last edited:
Honestly the dropping of sfo's may turn out to be a good thing.
GEC may then be able to release more variety to everyone each run.
Or produce more pattern runs per year.
Either way everyone wins.

I cannot follow your optimism I'm afraid. But, I would not mind being wrong...

Certainly don't see any of this as a win-win situation at all, far from it. Given that the latest 33 run appears to be severely limited/truncated and that SFOs & club-knives are being discontinued, it might, might, suggest that the prolonged shutdown has caused production&financial problems. Not in itself surprising but very alarming for those running the company, on the work-floor and for us as connoisseurs of very decently made knives. Any contraction without explanation is to be viewed with disquiet, it's not win-win in my book until I see evidence of sustained, ambitious and healthy production.

Please elaborate...

I was asking if we would like to see more SFOs or more patterns throughout the year?

I might have misattributed a meaning to your question, but my point was that I don’t think it has to be one or the other.

I really wonder how much of this is because of the Covid shutdown, I don't know if they lost any key employees or are having difficulty with materials but I'm sure Bill has a good reason.

If the shutdown has affected them anything like it has the small business I work for, which I’d think it’d affect GEC’s supply chain more, it could absolutely be a factor. But who knows, it’s all conjecture until they give more info (if they do, which they’re under no obligation to do)

The news of no more SFOs is definetly sad news. My mayer and grosh 29 is one of my favorite knives I own. I guess now it will have to always stay a safe queen.

I'm sad, but depending on how the change is implemented it could be a good thing. I could see GEC restructuring their business and start selling directly rather than from a bunch of "shops" that really don't add any value to GEC just funnel the profits to dealers who just take orders and ship stuff. The only advantage that the consumers have from having the different shops is that those shops have SFOs which collectors love. In any case I hope GEC still makes some small batch limited edition variations to keep things interesting.

Back