Lets talk GEC!

I find it interesting that while Case was the big dog on the porch, SFOs had little standing in the collecting community. With GEC, the SFOs have been the major driver of the collecting community. Do you all agree, and if so, why do you think so?????

I find it interesting that while Case was the big dog on the porch, SFOs had little standing in the collecting community. With GEC, the SFOs have been the major driver of the collecting community. Do you all agree, and if so, why do you think so?????

Case special runs are numbered in the thousands and it wouldn’t do any good to post fancy pics to impress everyone lol. So GEC SFO’s are more suited for that here.

Agreed....... Why?, because they are unique.... Fun to talk about..... Retain va!ue... For flippers a better resale $$$ than a regular production knife....

I think its a good move for GEC overall, as the SFO production must have consumed a lot of GEC time and tied up production. That said, it would be nice to see another manufacturer take up the opportunity to make SFOs.

Problem is, there really are no other manufacturers in the USA-apart from CASE to take up this niche and I don't see CASE being geared for it either.

One should always take time to digest news and info. but this announcement from GEC about SFOs and Club-Knives is really sobering. I wonder if the local governor is pondering his decision to close all businesses in the area around GEC some months back?

knifeswapper knifeswapper - do you know if this is just to get back on track this year because of the covid closure or is this a permanent decision?

Sounds permanent. Waynorth, Northwoods, MG, Smith, et.al. TC barlows, #77 barlows, et.al.

Not really a lot of clarification. But I think it has more to do with complications than capacity. My interpretation may be off a bit - as I have already told more than I know ;)

Aren’t the SFOs a big part of what puts the “Great” in Great Eastern Cutlery? :)

Personally the "Great" in GEC is Northwoods, Charlie's SFO's, Mike Lathem's CK SFO's.

TC/NF Barlow's, Washington Jack's, The 85's that Mike runs on occasion... that's what makes GEC great for me. I don't need drawers full of GEC knives, but I collect them because of the unique covers and limited runs - which usually are SFO's. Hopefully this is a temporary change. Even if GEC continues short runs etc I will miss the interaction with specific dealers SFO's.

Thumbs down on this move GEC :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Wow, that’s unfortunate. I really dig knifeswapper knifeswapper ’s SFOs, the 77 Barlows and his 85s are some of my favorites. I’ve got a few Northwoods as well and I appreciate the rustic finish on those too.

I can understand GECs wanting to simplify and streamline their production process. Gonna miss the SFOs but c’est la vie. There are still some awesome patterns being produced by GEC and I’ll still keep my eye out.

I don't buy a lot of GECs, or knives in general, but I do appreciate that GEC did the SFO runs that offered a lot of uniqueness. Hopefully this will allow them to continue full scale production, still with a range of cover options, and does not signal anything more significant in their operations.

I might be off base, but in my mind Charlie, Mike, KSF - J and Derrick, have had a large impact on GEC's SFO's. I will be interested to see who they work with in the future if GEC is truly closing the door on their collaborations.

Northwoods made Case or Buck, Buck Charlie Barlow collaboration? I'm interested.

I hope this opens the doors for a regular production GEC Barlow.
I love TC and NF Barlows, but I'm so DONE with Loliscrambles and Secondary Markets.

Seems like this will make secondary markets worse. I know I'm not selling any GEC SFO's anytime soon. If GEC runs a factory Barlow I don't see it not being a loliscramble to get one.

Back