Lets talk GEC!

i love watches actually, and it is a habit way more expensive than knives. I mean hobby! however I rotate often, its either coins, knives, harmonicas, watches, writing utensils, or playing cards.
Me it is broad brimmed hats (Akubra, Stetson, Tilley) watches (Tissot, Timex, Hamilton, Seiko, Orient) and pocket knives (GEC, Case, Spyderco, Benchmade).

A least pocket knives and watches do not take up a lot of real estate typically. Watches go unnoticed, hats can get a few looks and knives, ya just never know how people will react when they see them.

On another internet forum there was a fellow whose tag line was "Don't leave home with a nice hat, a sharp knife and a good watch."

,,,Mike in Canada

I continue to trust Bill Howard’s vision for GEC. Current circumstances of historic proportions, are forcing most of the World to re-evaluate just about every facet of Life. I look forward to what Mr. Howard’s GEC does next.

My hope is that despite the current decision to halt SFOs, that individuals like Charlie waynorth waynorth Northwoods Knives, as well as the Dealers, intimately connected to the Porch, successfully continue their journey with us.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I don't know the reasons behind GEC's decision. But the timing makes me suspect it being somehow tied to our current situation, with possible shortages and/or bottlenecks in supplies and services. Updated worker health & safety rules and concerns can affect GEC and others that they rely on.

Hopefully this will get better soon. I like all of my GEC knives. I also really like the SFO's that I've managed to accumulate over the past few years. I even use some of them. :D

TwsTjhA.jpg

0C8A2sL.jpg

Trying to make sure I understand what all this really means. If I remember right, GEC produced three main lines... Tidioute is their basic line, GEC is their stainless, and Northfield is their line with higher end finishes. These will still be produced under the new operating model, I presume? But what won't be produced anymore is the array of variations ordered specially by the various dealers with the limited covers, special shields, and sometimes blade variations? Also excluded would be special runs for Mike (77 barlow, for example), Charlie (TC, Waynorth), and KSF (Northwoods)?

Just going to say that I can't see any correlation between covid and what brand is stamped or etched on a GEC knife.

Without knowing the effect this will have on their yearly production numbers, there's no way to make the connection. If they decided to cut them because fewer people are buying frivolous, expensive, toys and their sales numbers declined as a result, then yeah there could be a connection.
I'm prone to think they're just going to keep making nice knives, just with their name on them instead of others'. I would like to see a couple more patterns a year in numbers that make them accessible to more people so they can build themselves up as a brand even further. There is plenty of folks who bought some of those SFOs without even knowing who made them, and I think that ultimately costs you ground in a game that's played best with a good bit of brand loyalty among your customers.
As it was, lots of folks form the thought of: "Well, this is a NW (or whatever sfo 'brand') jack, and that's just a TC." without a clue as to why that's an ignorant thing to say. Sort of like when your relative says something highly intelligent, like: "I don't have the internet, but I have facebook" in reference to their smart phones.

So, let's have it: More GECs, less pain in the ass for everyone.

Trying to make sure I understand what all this really means. If I remember right, GEC produced three main lines... Tidioute is their basic line, GEC is their stainless, and Northfield is their line with higher end finishes. These will still be produced under the new operating model, I presume? But what won't be produced anymore is the array of variations ordered specially by the various dealers with the limited covers, special shields, and sometimes blade variations? Also excluded would be special runs for Mike (77 barlow, for example), Charlie (TC, Waynorth), and KSF (Northwoods)?

Correct, you got it.

If I recall correctly, in recent years GEC has produced a greater quantity of SFO's vs their house brands.

I assume this means they will stop making the fixed blades for Bark River too? - I'm not up to date with GEC fixed blades, maybe they don't make them for Bark River anymore?

Correct, you got it.

If I recall correctly, in recent years GEC has produced a greater quantity of SFO's vs their house brands.

I assume this means they will stop making the fixed blades for Bark River too? - I'm not up to date with GEC fixed blades, maybe they don't make them for Bark River anymore?
Thanks!

To me this is a no-brainer as a business decision if they want to grow their market share. As John and others have pointed out, there must be a huge cost, in both time and... well, cost... to be essentially running a custom shop. If they can streamline their production to increase their output, and still maintain their high levels of quality, that is a recipe for continued and (hopefully) increasing success.

Since everyone is doing a forecast on GEC's announcement, I'll get some skin in the game too....
If there is a user/collector ratio analysis on GEC knives I've never seen it... I think the collector side of the ratio will be adversely affected by the change... I think the user side of the ratio will be unfazed....
The average Joe wanting to buy a knife to cut something isn't going to spend $100+ to buy a GEC ..... Special events, yes, i.e. graduations, etc.... The average guy will spend $35.00 at Walmart for a knife to cut something ....
But collectors will spend asinine amounts of money to buy something that is unique and collectable..... Quality, uniqueness, limited qtys are what gets collectors (me) to open their wallets... I could care less if they cut or not as I have a couple beater knives for users....
There is an old story about Clyde Barrow... When asked why he robbed banks, he replied "Because that's where the money is".... I guess time will tell whether GEC's decision found the money....

I get your point - I think. But quite honestly, there are plenty of us who use knives that otherwise have good value to collectors. Sure, there is always going to be folks who will go to their local store, pick up a cheap knife, use it 'til it breaks, and then wash, rinse, repeat. GEC is not the knife brand for these folks - not because a GEC brand knife won't hold up to the abuse but because a GEC knife will appeal to the sort who appreciates a fine tool and takes care of it accordingly.

It is the difference between the philosophy of an old co-worker of mine and my own. He would go to the discount store and buy a 5 pack of screwdrivers on the cheap - use them until they broke or got lost - wash, rinse, repeat. I bought a single screwdriver - a finely made quality tool. More expensive, yes - but almost 20 years later and I still have that same screwdriver.

I don't carry and use cheap knives - I carry and use finely made knives (predominately made by GEC), including (gasp!) SFOs. But I also use a knife for what it is intended for and I take good care of my tools. My point being: I don't fit the collector mold as you have described it - I absolutely care if my knife functions as intended and I certainly have no qualms making the investment in a finely made tool.

With GEC's recent decision, is the lack of interesting SFOs disappointing? Absolutely. But if they continue to make interesting patterns and maintain their level of quality, I will continue to support them by not only buying their knives, but using them as well.

Last edited:
Since most models sell out so fast, maybe this is a plan to have more production time and numbers...more knives on shelves. It’s business.

Hot dogs are coming!

Interesting information is popping up here!!
I have no doubt that Bill will come up with interesting and desirable knives!
I hope the enthusiasm that the SFOs seem to elicit doesn't fade away!
I have a few ideas for what my next ones should have been!! Sniff!!:(
Maybe after some time away from them, Bill will consider making a few again!:rolleyes:

I was told a story by a reliable source during GEC’s founding year Bill wanted to make 500+ knives all beaver shield and same handle covers. So I don’t put much trust in his business plan, coming from him being a former Queen head cutler he knows all the ins and outs of producing solid great knives. Along with it ease of production, obviously focusing on only their Northfield, Tidioute F&F will grow the production numbers/lower their bottom operating costs. IMO SFOs have opened the market to lots of new collectors from all avenues of the knife community. I truly hope this works out for them, but if it’s all bland run of the mill 2 handle material options like upcoming Conductor 33s. People might lose interest. I will still buy them if it’s a pattern/handle cover I like. SFOs have truly bloomed the business we will see how it all works out. I’m wishing the best to all employees/dealers/knife collectors. Have a safe happy 4th of July everyone!

Back