Lets talk GEC!

When the BS knives dropped, they shelf-warmed, and when they finally sold and it was revealed that that was all there'd ever be thanks to possible legal action from the BSA, suddenly everyone wanted one.

Pretty sure there have been two runs of the Beer Scout.

I think that's true. Either way, I remember a time when people were like "I don't know what's special about these", and now...well, we know how it is now.

2 runs back to back. 1st gen beer scouts had great covers. A lot of complaints about the second run covers but all still highly sought after of course .

Who said they won't do a cattle? The 29 is not a brick. Too stuffy around here, Beer and Sausage is going to be fun. I'm in for one for sure.

The 29 has a narrower handle than the 35. Weight goes up really fast with handle size. I stand by the brick comment. I'm not against bricks, either, I just want a more useful brick. I may seem stuffy, but I mostly I'm just confused as to why anyone would want one. Are people actually going to use the comb or the fork? More than once? Other than as a joke?

If you use the cap lifter more, the fork and comb will eventually make sense.:D:p:D

The only time I use a caplifter is when I need to deal with a slotted screw or a paint can. A pickle fork? Really? When would I use that? Tea parties? And the comb? Just gross when it sits next to eating utensils.

Edit to add: Just got the joke. Rather than being drunk, perhaps massive quantities of cannabis would make me understand. For a while.

The 29 has a narrower handle than the 35. Weight goes up really fast with handle size. I stand by the brick comment. I'm not against bricks, either, I just want a more useful brick. I may seem stuffy, but I mostly I'm just confused as to why anyone would want one. Are people actually going to use the comb or the fork? More than once? Other than as a joke?
But all the weight you save with the comb?;)
Sorry, did not mean to paint you specifically as stuffy. It was more directed at the herd.

Still think it was meant to be a fun item during these turbulent times. No, I don't think they will run 1k of these and yes I think they have other 35s on the schedule and they just aren't telling us. Yet.

Pretty sure there have been two runs of the Beer Scout.

Yep, 2015 (summer, I think?) and 2016 (late fall). It’s honestly hard to believe it was almost four years ago, I felt like the second run was more recent than that.

2 runs back to back. 1st gen beer scouts had great covers. A lot of complaints about the second run covers but all still highly sought after of course .

Overall, I think the covers on the first run were better, but I’d also say that the best out of all of them was the Charred Beer Barrel Oak from the second run. I really disliked the second run’s Draft Beer Acrylic (which was just a renamed acrylic that GEC has used before, Tiger’s Eye or something like that) and Golden Ale Jigged Bone.

From the first run: Tortoise Shell Acrylic, Chestnut Sawcut Bone, Ebony.

pI0hhKs.jpg

From the second run: Charred Beer Barrel Oak (No. 170), Beer Barrel Oak, Golden Ale Jigged Bone, Maroon Linen Micarta and Draft Beer Acrylic.

J8cQgjO.jpg

(I didn’t keep the acrylic or jigged bone.)

I think I'll use the comb blade to make some pasta!!! score the outside of a cucumber ,use it as a strainer for my whiskey drinks, :pkeep it for kitchen use..

I came to the GEC party all the Beer Scouts were long gone. So I ended up picking up this ebony crown lifter as almost an after thought one day. I don't carry it much but I use it all the time. It stays in the front of the junk drawer in the kitchen. I grab it for all kinds of things including opening bottles. Just a good little knife.
OKDXEc6.jpg

I remember when the #35 Churchill was first announced, it was to a rather lukewarm reception. A number of the variants sat on shelves, providing plenty of time for folks who eventually warmed to it.

Fast forward to now and I find myself rather amused that there is such excitement for all the mentioned possibilities with regards to the #35. The Churchill is a fantastic knife - the one I have is prized in my collection (I wish I had not procrastinated when the Stag was still available). Time has shown that the Churchill is rather beloved - and for good reason.

I am looking forward to seeing what is offered on the upcoming #35 run. I am definitely in for a B&S and a M&G (should the rumors prove true). An equal end cigar pattern works best with 2 or more blades (in my opinion) - I probably won't be interested in any single blade variants unless there is a cover option that I have to have.

I remember when the #35 Churchill was first announced, it was to a rather lukewarm reception. A number of the variants sat on shelves, providing plenty of time for folks who eventually warmed to it.

... The Churchill is a fantastic knife - the one I have is prized in my collection
... Time has shown that the Churchill is rather beloved - and for good reason.

I am looking forward to seeing what is offered on the upcoming #35 run.

that’s interesting perspective! I’m surprised it was such a slow simmer. The #35 Churchill was what I decided on after I’d become disenchanted with Case (after a lifetime of thinking they were the best traditionals had to offer). I agonized for 3 weeks, not sure what to expect but looking at all the pictures and reading all the comments on the Churchill forum, I bought it. Positively a winner, and not because it’s sexy and new, but rather a very well executed classic. I love that knife and I think it was a proper introduction into to GEC. I would gladly welcome an opportunity to buy another #35 Churchill.

that’s interesting perspective! I’m surprised it was such a slow simmer. The #35 Churchill was what I decided on after I’d become disenchanted with Case (after a lifetime of thinking they were the best traditionals had to offer). I agonized for 3 weeks, not sure what to expect but looking at all the pictures and reading all the comments on the Churchill forum, I bought it. Positively a winner, and not because it’s sexy and new, but rather a very well executed classic. I love that knife and I think it was a proper introduction into to GEC. I would gladly welcome an opportunity to buy another #35 Churchill.

I think one of the reasons that it didn't generate as much buzz is that it didn't have many SFOs during its run (only one, I think). So a modest selection of standard cover options and a single SFO (AAPK Club Knife) didn't get folks as excited as some of the releases before it. If I remember correctly, it was preceded by an excellent run of #66s and #25s - the 66s in particular had an amazing selection of cover options.

In short, it just wasn't nearly as "sexy" as many of the releases earlier that year. I liked it immediately and I am very pleased to see that it has become so cherished by many here.

I’d love a stockman/cattle knife on the 35 frame.

Don’t much care for equal-end single blade or even double (on the same end) patterns. Needs to be a single spring pen like the first run, or a beefy two spring knife with two big blades on opposite ends.... or maybe 3 in cattle knife form.

Back