Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Grew up on a farm in Eastern Colorado, 6,000 acres and no trees to be seen. Which is obvious since it's farmground, but would have loved to have had some land like that A17.

Testing out an Australian Hytest on Spotted Gum (Aussie version of Hickory), absolute beast of an axe. Chopping up Sassafrass at a state park, so can't take it or use it for anything but worm food and firewood. Have about 7 or 8 of these Tasmanian pattern axes.

f5DsKAO.jpg

Also, here is a fatwood stump in the making. What made it different from the one growing 15 feet away, I'll never know. But it is.

I've always assumed that fatwood stumps are the result of a tree dying in the winter when the sap is down. But I don't know this to be a fact.

Ah! That makes sense! The trees died individually over the course of a few years and that one was one of the ones that died during the fall/winter. Come to think of it, Google Earth shows all of the fatwood-y trees I've encountered dying between June 2017 and June 2018 and the plain ones died in the summer-like months.

I've been wanting to try making a spoon blank with a hatchet. This is my first attempt/experiment. Started with a dry piece of firewood (soft Maple) from the wood shed. Seemed like a good time to try different hatchets as well:

Since it is my first attempt, I don't know if it's close enough to start carving. We'll see. I know I'm done for today. Beverage time ;)

Bob
Follow-up:

Bob

I like a good wooden spoon because they are gentle on non-stick cookware.
Thanks, I'd like to replace my metal stuff with wood.:thumbsup: Like to try some eating spoons too.

Has it been oiled or do you have plans to oil it?
I put one coat of mineral oil on it so far. Planning on at least one more coat before use, then as need - I guess, since I have virtually no experience with wooden utensils.

Bob

Just a comment about wood spoons. I have made and used many over the years. Made in many different species of wood. I cook in a lot of cast iron and stainless steel. All species of wood seem to have one thing in common, they soak up oil and stains from the cooking process. Not really a problem. But, about a year ago my wife brought home some bamboo spoons. They have a "organic natural finish" to quote the maker. No matter how I use these bamboo spoons they never soak up anything!

I put one coat of mineral oil on it so far. Planning on at least one more coat before use, then as need - I guess, since I have virtually no experience with wooden utensils.

I keep a bottle of mineral oil in the kitchen for that purpose. I have a spatula and a large spoon that get occaisional use. And my wood handled knives get the same treatment.

Unexpectedly came across a piece of 8/4 Birch and knew I needed it for a handle. Roughed out using my "new carving axe" (;)) for what it was meant for.:D

Bob

PS if this handle is not seen again on this forum, feel free to assume it was repurposed to create an artful decoration in my kindling bucket.:oops:

A tree out front died and as I had just finished putting my Craftsman on a new haft I decided I'd break it in. A few friends of his tagged along but as I haven't fully recovered from my previous two back to back illness' I pulled out the MS250 and made the back cut with it rather than just use axes. My brother commandeered the saw for limbing and bucking but I beat him in a limbing contest with my (hastily grabbed) TT Flint Edge cruiser. I would have lost bucking the tree but when it comes to limbing small stuff axes still rule! After the fun as done I grabbed the quad, trailer, gloves and pickaroon and chucked the mess into the burn(ing) pile. One thing I love is that the quad's trailer doesn't know the meaning of the words "overloaded" or "too much". The quad knows "too much for mud" but as soon as the 4x4 Honda one gets fixed, I'll be posting more axe work as a result of my using the 4x4 to haul wood. Ps. I forgot to take a pic of the standing tree, sorry.
IMG-2566.jpg

IMG-2571.jpg

IMG-2573.jpg

IMG-2574.jpg

https://postimg.cc/gallery/gi2d9bps/
Letting my son use his axes to cut some firewood. It’s a plumb boys scout and a Kelly flint cruiser
What an adorable axe! Err, i mean, kid! Hahaha. Seriously though, cute kid man! It's great you're getting him started early working and being outdoors. It's something I tried to do with my son as much as possible.

Back