Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Sharpen as buying a new chain when one gets dull is like buying a new knife/axe when your current one gets dull. Plus, a3/8 36 inch chain is $60+ and 3/4 inch chain would be even worse. P phantomknives , do you by any chance frequent AS, OPE, etc?
dont know what ope is but yeah agri-supply is amazing. any time i actually need something i come up with an excuse to go there, gonna go there tomorrow to get a file handle to finish up a knife in fact

AS is Arboristsite and OPE is Outdoor Power Equipment. Both are forums for saw tinkerers who appreciate 1/2 inch chain on slow, heavy saws with Tilly HL's on them. Posting on this thread reminded me of a windfall sapling that blocked the driveway back in late October. It was no match for the wind and it was no match for my Woodslasher.
IMG-3804.jpg

IMG-3803.jpg

nope, not on any of those. by the way the reason i stopped doing the updates on the strunk is because someone swapped the carb to an aftermarket go-kart carb with 3 diiaphrams so it's not like im gonna be able to find a rebuild kit for it.
other than carb troubles, my C5 needs a chain and they'd be ready to rock

Seen a number of chainsaws in the pictures in this thread. Do you guys generally sharpen your chains or just purchase new ones?

I sharpen. Been doing it since I was 14 years old - 43 years. I clamp the bar in a vise. The angles are in muscle memory and come to me naturally.

Mark the first tooth with a Sharpie and work your way around. Set the brake while you're filing. Reverse the saw in the vise and do the other side. Take the rakers down every 2nd sharpening. Easy peasy. Replace when the teeth get too short.

Seen a number of chainsaws in the pictures in this thread. Do you guys generally sharpen your chains or just purchase new ones?
I sharpen my saw in the same manner as Square Peg. The right dia. file is critical. Take your saw in and ask at your hardware store, they should give you some good information. Purchase a spare blade, air filter, fuel filter and spark plug. Replace those items and you'll be set for
another year. Don't use fuel with ethanol. Good luck, DM

Back