Lightweight Backpacking Knife (Folder or Fixed)

I say you man up girly man and stop worrying about weight. You probably need the workout anyway. Carry just the biggest knife you can, a sword. No need for a pack at all. Just a fire starter. When you need warmth you chop down a tree or just leave it up and light it on fire. Animals need heat to. When you need warmth, just go find an elk or buffalo and split him open, take out his guts and sleep inside and you can eat from inside out. The animals bladder is your drinking source. See no need for a pack. This sword will do it all for you.

yo5qMDu.jpg
I was always more partial to the Gunblade myself...:D

upload_2019-4-29_10-26-0.jpeg

99% of the time? Maybe in your world. I don't carry knives into the woods because they make me happy. I carry knives into the woods, because I need them to cut/chop/split/whittle wood, food, cordage, and camp/cooking tools. Your experience is geographical and geography varies from area to area, so what works for you, doesn't apply to everyone and may be insufficient for someone else.

In my world, we go on 2 different kinds of backcountry trips. The first is super casual. Low miles. Food that requires preparation. A flask of whiskey. Plans on making fires. That sort of thing. On trips of that sort, I take a chopper, saw and fire stove. Lots of fun.

The other kind of trip is more along the lines of what OP posted about when talking about 20 miles days. Long miles. Challenging terrain. Finely honed packing lists and counting ounces in order to make the agenda. No fires. No need to cut/chop/split/whittle food. No knife needed for food prep.

IME, if you're carrying more knife than a simple SAK when you're in the woods, it's because it and things you can do with it make you happy. You don't *need* it to stay safe.

As I noted in my first post in the thread, for racking up 20 mile days, I think just about any 2 oz knife will do if combined with a key chain sized multitool.

I have to disagree with that ... yes on a short trip you may take more in weight and creature comforts ...

but on a long trip you NEED the methods to process wood and food and fire ... there isn't the option of hollaring "help" ... or that someone will wander by ... it's a safety/survial matter ... not what do I like to carry ...

it's those long trips you need the equipment and if 5 or 6 ozs or even an extra pound or two makes or breaks you then you shouldn't make that trip.

Depends on where I'm going as that dictates my blade choices, but lately I've been carrying the Bugout and a Mora on my backpacking trips that are weekend stuff.

For the more backcountry stuff and longer trips, I tend to carry "beefier" knives though. Usually something from Esee/Tops/etc. Not that the Mora/Bugout can't do it...I just have waaaaaaaaay too many knives.

In my world, we go on 2 different kinds of backcountry trips. The first is super casual. Low miles. Food that requires preparation. A flask of whiskey. Plans on making fires. That sort of thing. On trips of that sort, I take a chopper, saw and fire stove. Lots of fun.

The other kind of trip is more along the lines of what OP posted about when talking about 20 miles days. Long miles. Challenging terrain. Finely honed packing lists and counting ounces in order to make the agenda. No fires. No need to cut/chop/split/whittle food. No knife needed for food prep.

IME, if you're carrying more knife than a simple SAK when you're in the woods, it's because it and things you can do with it make you happy. You don't *need* it to stay safe.

As I noted in my first post in the thread, for racking up 20 mile days, I think just about any 2 oz knife will do if combined with a key chain sized multitool.

I totally disagree with you. I carry the same stuff whether I'm 5 miles or 20 miles into the woods. I build fires whether I'm a 1/4 mile from my vehicle, or 20 miles. It's nice that you have what works for you, but like I said earlier, what works for you may not apply to everyone and be insufficient for someone else. Please don't tell us that your way is the ONLY way to do things, as that is clearly not the case. You can't speak for everyone here...

I have to disagree with that ... yes on a short trip you may take more in weight and creature comforts ...

but on a long trip you NEED the methods to process wood and food and fire ... there isn't the option of hollaring "help" ... or that someone will wander by ... it's a safety/survial matter ... not what do I like to carry

It would be interesting to find out what Steiger and later Messner carried on their ski crossings of Antarctica. They were certainly in a not calling for help sort of situation but I'm pretty certain that they didn't carry tools for processing wood.

Conrad Anker reportedly carries a Bladeo. Not what I call very robust, but they are light.

It would be interesting to find out what Steiger and later Messner carried on their ski crossings of Antarctica. They were certainly in a not calling for help sort of situation but I'm pretty certain that they didn't carry tools for processing wood.

Conrad Anker reportedly carries a Bladeo. Not what I call very robust, but they are light.

considering there isn't wood in the Anrarticia ... I'm sure they didn't ... but I'm sure they had fuel and a of stove some sort ... for heat and food prep and boiling water as eating snow only dehydrates you more from your body having to work to stay warm feeding ice into your system.

Last edited:
A SAK huntsman or similar would be the best choice in my opinion.
For lightweight backpacking you really don't need more than that.

That knife will handle any task you face.

Carrying a fixed blade is not necessary and usually you would bring a small multitool anyway.

Ti knives, and especially swords, are my first choice since many moons. I have one or two, all forged by some talented guy.
To be honest, the tungsten carbide treatment - i have carbidized a bunch of untreated 6al4ti knives myself - is doing ok, but it is really no match for a properly treated Ti alloy that is suitable for bladewares (which could be still carbidized).

For best results on a carbidized Ti knife, you have to put an edge on the non carbidized edge only and sharpen only that one side, which is by default not very sharp to start with and you also end up with a micro chisel edge. Sure, it "should" kinda sharpen itself with use but still, it's a workaround backup knife for me only. That is something you should consider, and this is all my personal experience only.

I been using a carbide edge ti knife in my shop for everything for a couple years, cutting everything! It doesn't sharpen itself though. Got a belt grinder for that. :p

it's those long trips you need the equipment and if 5 or 6 ozs or even an extra pound or two makes or breaks you then you shouldn't make that trip.
This right here. If you aren't capable of humping a few extra ounces then you shouldn't be doing the trip.

After following this thread I have come to the conclusion. .
A, carry what you want, what works for you.
B, don't think you are going to convince anyone else your way is better.

Here are my picks:

opinel - 1oz
esee izula red fire ant - 1.90oz
delica - 2.5oz

I feel some type of blade is always needed, unless you don't mind using rocks that are scatter around. You can use those after chipping them thus making them pretty sharp like native Americans did.

But, I rather just toss in a sharp blade and know that in a pinch, I can build a house with it lol

Im gonna suggest a neck knife type knife for your purposes. An Esee Izula or Izula 2, or a Tops Tibo (a bit cheaper, arguably better). There are lots of choices here. For a pocket knife/backup I would suggest a Swiss Army knife of some kind. I like the Camper. A SAK is great because its a whole tool kit in your pocket and the tweezers are great if you get a tick on you. If thats too heavy, though the keychain ones are truly tiny, then you could go with an Opinel. Theyre feather light, and cut like crazy.
For a more traditional knife, try a bird and trout style knife and a stockman or scout knife for backup. Good luck.

Last time I went to Philmont I took my leatherman. Never used it. Being that I like a knife, I now carry my opinal 6. Going this weekend and may take a mini fox river..just because. Last month I took my PM 3. Because it was newish. Actually used it and it worked well.

I guess much of it comes down to the objective of the trip.
If you plan on spending the nights around a campfire, then a more sturdy knife, perhaps paired with a folding saw would be a good idea.
If you don't plan on making a campfire, then the SAK is all you need. I advocate for a SAK over an Opinel, because of the additional tools in it.

My old school hunting, camping, hiking, fishing, etc. fixed blade is the Spyderco Bill Moran drop point, around 3 ounces, great for field dressing game. Comes with a very sturdy sheath. I have traipsed more miles over hill and dale than I can ever remember and it has done the job for many years for me.

Last edited:
Glad I discovered this thread from 2019. Has lots of good info; would like to bump the thread to see what folks are using for backpacking blades recently.

I'm an ounce-counter whose pack base weight is 12 pounds--somewhere between light and ultralight. I know lots of people agree with "if 5 or 6 ozs or even an extra pound or two makes or breaks you then you shouldn't make that trip" but the point of UL backpacking isn't strength, it's that you can cover more mileage in a day and walk (even run!) upright because you are carrying less.

My current backpacking blade is the White River Backpacker M1 which is 3 oz with sheath; S35VN. I recently spotted the Cold Steel 20AZ which is a 3.5" blade for just 1.4 oz. Don't know the sheath weight. The steel is nothing to write home about, but the weight / blade ratio is amazing.

However, I don't know if the CS would be any sturdier than a good folder. A Spyderco Manix LW is just 2.8 oz.

210531_210554.jpg

Reactions: DMG
Back