Lightweight exercise knives

As other have said, get the Dragonfly. Its an excellent knife. And no, you dont seem like an idiot but hang around here, you might find yourself with a lot more knives and way less money ;-) good luck.

If you were to go with a knife in the waistband, you could consider a Manly Wasp. They're quite light in the weight department, come in your choice of S90V or 12C27 (I believe this is the same as Sandvik or Inox) stainless steels. It's a super slicey, non threatening slip joint blade with a pocket clip that is very reasonably priced.

I use my Bugout for workout stuff, mostly. A thin, light, flat neck knife like the eminently lovable little Perrin Le Bowie would probably work well enough as well.

I feel like a fixed blade is a bit much for how little I’m going to be using it. Opening a package or two evey few months. Fixing a thread or something.

Also non-threatening is kinda my game here. For all my edc stuff. Getting off my bike, sitting down at a coffee shop and whipping out a 3 inch tactical fixed blade from under my shirt to open my lunch might get a reaction or two.
I understand. But there are some cool little fixed blades in the 1-2 inch range that are light weight and non threatening.

You have to stick to what you feel comfortable with.

CRKT makes small, friendly looking fix blade neck knives. Like the Minimalist. I rotate between a No Bother and a Spew, although I wouldn't trust the retention of my Spew sheath for running.
ESSEE Candiru or Ka-Bar Remora as well.

Benchmade Bugout.

It's insanely lightweight, has a sturdy deep carry clip, very thin and well contoured and you won't kill it with sweat.

For a folder, any small Spyderco with a wire pocket clip would work great for me

I am confused the more I read through this post. You need a knife while exercising but you only use a knife to open a box once a month or so. So I figure it was maybe for defense purposes but then you said a fixed blade neck knife may be to threatening. A 2 inch long fixed blade is less tactical looking that unfolding a 2 inch folder.

Boker urban trapper petite is 1.1 ounces, VG-10 steel with a good pocket clip.

If you wear a belt, put a section of bike inner tube over it and stash a folder in there. It'll be out of sight and mind, until you need it.

I have been looking for a small fixed myself for a similar need right now I typically don't carry on my jogs as the outfits when I am jogging don't suit a clipped knife and certainly don't work for a traditional dropped in a pocket. I need something around my neck and to me a small fixed blade neck knife would be best I don't have to remove the whole thing from my neck just pull the knife from the sheath.

As others have already mentioned, the Dragonfly, Bugout and the Delica would be great choices. I personally prefer the Chaparral Lightweight when I'm wearing gym shorts or sweat pants. You could also check out the new Para 3 Lightweight when it comes out later this year.

Spyderco ARK.
H1 steel... It will never RUST.
Get it SERRATED. H1 performs best in this grind.

It fit the bill...
Small
Lite
Maintenance Free because it will not rust.
Easy carry.

P_8916920328.jpg

This thing comes ready to go with Chord. I wear it when I need to not print 100%. Has the chord to. Sits flat under 20 bucks. DEADLY. is it the best steel and quality. not really but its deadly and only ONE use ..it was designed by some one that knew how to conceal.

How is an 8 inch OAL fixed blade tanto a good suggestion for someone who is looking for

I feel like a fixed blade is a bit much for how little I’m going to be using it. Opening a package or two evey few months. Fixing a thread or something.

Also non-threatening is kinda my game here. For all my edc stuff. Getting off my bike, sitting down at a coffee shop and whipping out a 3 inch tactical fixed blade from under my shirt to open my lunch might get a reaction or two.

hia. New here. I’m mildly new to the knife world. I carry a Benchmade Shinola exclusive Valet damn near everywhere but that’s about it. I’ve been looking recently for a lightweight folder to keep around my neck while I’m biking or running or so on. The small Fox Knives Dragotac friction folder seems to get pretty close to what I’m looking for, but is a friction folder gonna open under my shirt? Is n690 stain resistant enough for me to sweat all over it on a daily basis? Should I just give up and staple a spyderco ladybug in H1 to my chest? Am I a complete idiot? Please discuss.

Tl;dr, I need a lightweight folder for exercise and also I am dumb please help.

o_O:rolleyes:

In addition to the all the relevant and excellent suggestions for light weight folders already made, I'll throw out a Vic Classic on a chain around the neck. Its stainless, small, lightweight, non-threatening, AND has scissors, a nail file, tweezers, and a toothpick.

Have you tried clipping a knife to the inside of your waistband on the side. I do it with basketball shorts and it is unnoticeable.

No I haven’t. I carry my valet loose in my pocket actually. But regardless what would you suggest for something like that. I’m 6’8 so I have some room to stash a folder in my waistband.

I'll second the Inside the Waistband carry, esp. if you wear a belt as that welds it to your body. The CRKT Minimalst around my neck is more noticeable than a Cold Steel SR1 or AD10 inside my waistband.

Definitely IWB if you’re doing something active. Unless you really like having something flop around on your chest while you run. If portability is a bigger concern, Dragonfly or Chapparal; if you need a bigger blade, Delica or Endura.

One more vote here for IWB carry while exercising. Like a neck knife, pocket carry will annoyingly flop around too when you're exercising.

As far as what knife, a guy your size has the pick of the litter. Im about a foot and a half shorter and have comfortably carried both an old school clipit Delica and a Rat 1 IWB while running and even mucking around playing soccer.

I would consider something in a stainless steel and or one thats easily flushed out and cleaned. The liners and pivot on my Rat build up a decent amount of rust, enough so that it got very hard to open, because of all the sweat and me neglecting to clean it for a time.

I'm a distance runner and I have carried a Victorinox Farmer around my neck (winter run) and also hanging inside sweat pants on a carabiner clipped to waistband. Would also work for warm weather runs I think.

You won't use it much. Good luck.

Back