1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lightweight exercise knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Abyss_Fish, Mar 14, 2019.

1. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    As other have said, get the Dragonfly. Its an excellent knife. And no, you dont seem like an idiot but hang around here, you might find yourself with a lot more knives and way less money ;-) good luck.

Abyss_Fish likes this.
  2. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    Spyderco ladybug or similar and hang it with carabiner / neck cord.

CanadaKnifeGuy likes this.
  3. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    If you were to go with a knife in the waistband, you could consider a Manly Wasp. They're quite light in the weight department, come in your choice of S90V or 12C27 (I believe this is the same as Sandvik or Inox) stainless steels. It's a super slicey, non threatening slip joint blade with a pocket clip that is very reasonably priced.

4. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I use my Bugout for workout stuff, mostly. A thin, light, flat neck knife like the eminently lovable little Perrin Le Bowie would probably work well enough as well.

5. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    I understand. But there are some cool little fixed blades in the 1-2 inch range that are light weight and non threatening.

You have to stick to what you feel comfortable with.

6. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    6’8”. I change my folder suggestions. Spyderco endura inside the waistband carry.

7. C-TAC

C-TAC Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2013
    CRKT makes small, friendly looking fix blade neck knives. Like the Minimalist. I rotate between a No Bother and a Spew, although I wouldn't trust the retention of my Spew sheath for running.
    ESSEE Candiru or Ka-Bar Remora as well.

8. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Benchmade Bugout.

It's insanely lightweight, has a sturdy deep carry clip, very thin and well contoured and you won't kill it with sweat.

9. C-TAC

C-TAC Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2013
    For a folder, any small Spyderco with a wire pocket clip would work great for me

Lee D likes this.
  10. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    I am confused the more I read through this post. You need a knife while exercising but you only use a knife to open a box once a month or so. So I figure it was maybe for defense purposes but then you said a fixed blade neck knife may be to threatening. A 2 inch long fixed blade is less tactical looking that unfolding a 2 inch folder.

11. Krav

Krav Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Boker urban trapper petite is 1.1 ounces, VG-10 steel with a good pocket clip.

12. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2019
    If you wear a belt, put a section of bike inner tube over it and stash a folder in there. It'll be out of sight and mind, until you need it.

13. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I have been looking for a small fixed myself for a similar need right now I typically don't carry on my jogs as the outfits when I am jogging don't suit a clipped knife and certainly don't work for a traditional dropped in a pocket. I need something around my neck and to me a small fixed blade neck knife would be best I don't have to remove the whole thing from my neck just pull the knife from the sheath.

14. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    As others have already mentioned, the Dragonfly, Bugout and the Delica would be great choices. I personally prefer the Chaparral Lightweight when I'm wearing gym shorts or sweat pants. You could also check out the new Para 3 Lightweight when it comes out later this year.

Lee D likes this.
  15. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    Spyderco ARK.
    H1 steel... It will never RUST.
    Get it SERRATED. H1 performs best in this grind.

It fit the bill...
    Small
    Lite
    Maintenance Free because it will not rust.
    Easy carry.

[​IMG]

mdrgn79 and A.L. like this.
  16. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    How is an 8 inch OAL fixed blade tanto a good suggestion for someone who is looking for

o_O:rolleyes:

In addition to the all the relevant and excellent suggestions for light weight folders already made, I'll throw out a Vic Classic on a chain around the neck. Its stainless, small, lightweight, non-threatening, AND has scissors, a nail file, tweezers, and a toothpick.

mdrgn79, Pr3inar and benchwarmer380 like this.
  17. Definitely IWB if you’re doing something active. Unless you really like having something flop around on your chest while you run. If portability is a bigger concern, Dragonfly or Chapparal; if you need a bigger blade, Delica or Endura.

Pteronarcyd and benchwarmer380 like this.
  18. benchwarmer380

benchwarmer380 Valyrian Member Platinum Member

Sep 17, 2012
    One more vote here for IWB carry while exercising. Like a neck knife, pocket carry will annoyingly flop around too when you're exercising.

As far as what knife, a guy your size has the pick of the litter. Im about a foot and a half shorter and have comfortably carried both an old school clipit Delica and a Rat 1 IWB while running and even mucking around playing soccer.

I would consider something in a stainless steel and or one thats easily flushed out and cleaned. The liners and pivot on my Rat build up a decent amount of rust, enough so that it got very hard to open, because of all the sweat and me neglecting to clean it for a time.

19. Stephen W Huyssoon

Stephen W Huyssoon

May 31, 2018
    I'm a distance runner and I have carried a Victorinox Farmer around my neck (winter run) and also hanging inside sweat pants on a carabiner clipped to waistband. Would also work for warm weather runs I think.

You won't use it much. Good luck.

20. Forester_01

Forester_01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Urban k390, non locking but sturdy enough and fantastic steel.