Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow

I never saw the edge it came with. I've always dropped shipped my knives to a pro sharpener in MI as I've yet to find someone of that calibre in my own country. The knife came from him with an edge which lasted all of 3 days (cutting hotdogs, carrots and paper). When challenged the 'pro' blamed M390 for being a 'problem steel' from his experience, blamed the knife and went silent. I'd had a S35VN knife come back from him partially dull but had thought it was a one off as he was very good with 1095/440C/D2. You can draw your own conclusions as to this individual but by that point the knife was sitting on a shelf wearing a hole. It would hold an edge for less time than my SAK. I offered it for review to the channel because it was far better doing something useful/productive than just sitting here looking lonely. He was very interested in reviewing the knife, offered to put a proper edge on it as a thank you and I shipped it out to him.

Having sharpened every steel you mention except for D2, I'm willing to bet that he sharpened at a different angle than factory and just didn't spend enough time to reprofile the cutting bevel all the way to the apex. M390 is not a problem steel, it just takes a while to reprofile it, even with a diamond. Reprofiling 1095 even takes some time. But the first run of the Roundhead was rather thick behind the edge, comparable to Queen knives, and, no joke, it can take over an hour to reprofile a PM stainless blade like that if it's particularly thick. Plus, the Lionsteels that I have handled did not impress me with sharpness. Excellent blades, but no where near the potential of M390 I have seen come off my stones.

The actual sharpening, if done at the same angle, would not take nearly as long, and that's where you hear about these steels being easy to sharpen because bringing back a dull edge requires a lot less metal removal than, for example, going from 25 degrees per side down to 18.

Having sharpened every steel you mention except for D2, I'm willing to bet that he sharpened at a different angle than factory and just didn't spend enough time to reprofile the cutting bevel all the way to the apex. M390 is not a problem steel, it just takes a while to reprofile it, even with a diamond. Reprofiling 1095 even takes some time. But the first run of the Roundhead was rather thick behind the edge, comparable to Queen knives, and, no joke, it can take over an hour to reprofile a PM stainless blade like that if it's particularly thick. Plus, the Lionsteels that I have handled did not impress me with sharpness. Excellent blades, but no where near the potential of M390 I have seen come off my stones.

The actual sharpening, if done at the same angle, would not take nearly as long, and that's where you hear about these steels being easy to sharpen because bringing back a dull edge requires a lot less metal removal than, for example, going from 25 degrees per side down to 18.
I had asked for it to be brought to a 15dps from factory.

T, thanks for this thoughtful explanation. The various angles ;) to sharpening are fascinating.

One question. 'PM', powder metallurgy?

the roundhead was my first experience with m390 and i found it to be chippy when using my extra course dmt diamond stone to profile it to 20 degrees. I had to abandon the xtra course before i got a burr, and step down to the regular course stone to set a consistent apexed edge. then spent about 20 minutes passing it on the fine stone to refine the scratch pattern and then maybe 20 passes each side on the extra fine, then a strop on my buffing wheel with green compound. That edge hasn't degraded much at all.

Also, there is a slight thickening of the edge near the sharpening choil, so without knowing if your sharpener-guy took that into account you may have an edge that's only been partially apexed.

Anyway, really looking forward to the clip point version.

Reactions: HST
Any chance we get a two blade with a smaller coping secondary?

That would be niiiiice.
If there was a secondary, I would like a wharncliffe.
Pointy, lays low when closed, and most importantly, it offers a different cutting edge profile than the main (straight edge).

Eta:
T texmex03
When I originally read your post, I misread it and I thought I saw "Spey" instead of "Coping".

That being said, I would still prefer the smooth transition offered by the spine of the Wharncliffe over the sharp peak of the Coping spine.

Last edited:
Any chance we get a two blade with a smaller coping secondary?

That would be too much awesomeness in one knife. It might kick my #77 out of the Best Barlow Ever spot.

XzmADIzh.jpg

Anyone already owning a Roundhead thinking of getting in on the new preorder for Roundheads? The current roundhead is too thick for my taste behind the edge for true perfection. Trying to decide between sending it away to be thinned out behind the edge (though no idea who would do it affordably) or just getting one of the new ones and hoping it's better.

Last edited:
Anyone already owning a Roundhead thinking of getting in on the new preorder for Roundheads? The current roundhead is too thick for my taste behind the edge for true perfection. Trying to decide between sending it away to be thinned out behind the edge (though no idea who would do it affordably) or just getting one of the new ones and hoping it's better.
Congratulations on winning Mike's Best Slipjoint of 2017 giveaway.

In that spirit, maybe you could do a giveaway of your Roundhead?

Back