Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow

I am really interested in seeing some pics of the natural micarta. Not sure if I want to go with micarta or bocote. The tough decisions that must be made. ;)

I just picked up a Roundhead in stag on the secondary market. Construction is great and I can't wait to put it to use. The primary bevel is > 20 degrees per side which means it will need a minor re-profile but that will be a short task on my water stones in the next few weekends. After that I plan on really putting this knife to work since it's almost pruning time in the back yard.

I keep going back and forth on my early reserve with these. I am really tempted to get 2 but really want to narrow down to one. Right now I am leaning towards the stag or rams horn roundhead ATM. Keep flip flopping. Decisions, decisions. Thinking of getting a rams horn or stag shuffler probably. Depends on what I decide on getting with the roundhead. Heck, last week I think I was trying to decide between the bocote or micarta. :confused:

Last edited:
I'm going with the Micarta. The CF would for best with the modern look, but it's too fragile for what will be a user. (Wish it we're G10.) The other materials don't match as well with the design in my opinion. (But I'm willing to be swayed:D.)

I'm going with the Micarta. The CF would for best with the modern look, but it's too fragile for what will be a user. (Wish it we're G10.) The other materials don't match as well with the design in my opinion. (But I'm willing to be swayed:D.)
Is CF fragile? I have an expensive tripod made out of the stuff, have had several over the years in fact, never had a problem at all. They make cars and planes out of the stuff.

Is CF fragile? I have an expensive tripod made out of the stuff, have had several over the years in fact, never had a problem at all. They make cars and planes out of the stuff.

I do not think CF would be fragile. It should hold up better than wood or bone and there would be no shrinkage problem over the years.
Having said that I sure like my CF and Santos.
What you pick is just a matter of what you like best.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard carbon fiber referred to as fragile. I have the CR Roundhead and I’m confident it would handle anything the other handle materials would.

Bugdoc Bugdoc To me CF is plenty strong but it does not the the flex and give of Micarta or G10 so it is more brittle than those but it is by no means a fragile material.

In the context of a knife like this one CF has no issues. You ruin CF by crushing it so the fibers break. On a slippie like this you won't really do that. If you drop the knife onto hard pavement etc. or drive over it with a car you may damage it but CF will be stronger than the scales from horn or bone.

In a more aggressive knife CF has a downside in that when it looks it's best it has a smooth slippery surface. If you texture it like G-10 or Micarta then you'll loose cosmetic appeal.

Fragile wasn't the best choice of words, brittle being better. I'd be less concerned were it not a bare head pattern. It's just those type of drop to the concrete falls that can happen. I have two old bone hafted Barlows in otherwise great shape that have such chips at their cap end. What would Micarta do in that situation?

Anyway, Thanks. I'll give it another look.

Last edited:
I lent my Roundhead to a bloke for a review.

Great review. It does surprise me how many people either insinuate or come right out and predict that Lion Steel would make this a general production knife. Does nobody have a good grasp on business ethics these days? Why would that even cross one's mind?

Great review. It does surprise me how many people either insinuate or come right out and predict that Lion Steel would make this a general production knife. Does nobody have a good grasp on business ethics these days? Why would that even cross one's mind?
I suppose, if your business arrangement with them allowed them to make it a general production knife, it wouldn't be unethical for them to do so. Only you and them know the details of your business.

Back