Looking for a bowie knife

nod

Gold Member
I am going to sell a couple of automatics and get a bowie knife. No reason, I just want a bowie knife. Since it is going to be the only one I have I am willing to spend a few bucks for it. After some poking around I came up with the SOG Super Bowie Fixed Blade SB1T-L - Black. Good choice, bad choice, or is there something better?

Thanx

There is always something better.
Aus8 wont we to everyones taste but that being said , the SOG is a pretty good looking knife. As its to your taste, I say go for it.

What do you want....historical accuracy, Iron Mistress style clip point brass spine, large modern chopper?

What do you want to do with it?

I understand wanting a bowie. I did too and still have just one. An older Cold Steel Trailmaster in Carbon V that I hand convexed.
It's the only C.S. I own but it certainly scratched that bowie itch for me and still does.--KV

the new hinderer bowie (ranch bowie?) is imho one of the nicest ones to come out in a long while...
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/hinderer-ranch-bowie.1643191/
I don't own one, but it would be at the top of my list if I needed another fixed blade ;) (probably tied with a cpk fk)

I could definitely go the if it had a 7" blade or longer. Nice knife!!

What do you want....historical accuracy, Iron Mistress style clip point brass spine, large modern chopper?

What do you want to do with it?

Actually I want a bowie that has a very good steel and some length to it. Looks are important but not as important as the quality of the steel. The only person I am trying to impress is me. My wife will just shake her head :). In the event a need arises, I need it to do its job. Could be self defense, hacking through brush or whatever. Unfortunately I like guns and knives. I have some fairly decent knives for my pay grade and the same with guns. I dunno. I liked the knife in my original post for looks. Again, the grade of steel is more important than looks.

Best all around useable Bowie-ish knife is the Buck 124. IMHO.

Or at the other end of the spectrum. Go to Randall made knives. Pick the Bowie you like, trick it out however you want. Put $50 down which locks in today’s price. Put $5 a week into a jar and wait 5 plus years.

Best all around useable Bowie-ish knife is the Buck 124. IMHO.

Or at the other end of the spectrum. Go to Randall made knives. Pick the Bowie you like, trick it out however you want. Put $50 down which locks in today’s price. Put $5 a week into a jar and wait 5 plus years.

Haha... It kills me to wait 6 months for a semi custom 1911! Plus, I am getting old. I checked out that Buck 124 and it looks nice. Food for thought. Thanx

I understand wanting a bowie. I did too and still have just one. An older Cold Steel Trailmaster in Carbon V that I hand convexed.
It's the only C.S. I own but it certainly scratched that bowie itch for me and still does.--KV

I guess the Trailmaster is O-1 steel now. Can't say I have heard of that steel. What is up with the Trail Master San Mai III (VG-1). I know the price is up there!!

Haha... It kills me to wait 6 months for a semi custom 1911! Plus, I am getting old. I checked out that Buck 124 and it looks nice. Food for thought. Thanx

You’d be surprised how fast the time goes by.

I actually carry a 124 quite a bit it’s a nice knife. A great user that scratched my Bowie itch.

Still a youngster! You’ve got at least another 40 good years in you. Hope you find a Bowie you like.

I guess the Trailmaster is O-1 steel now. Can't say I have heard of that steel. What is up with the Trail Master San Mai III (VG-1). I know the price is up there!!
You can't hardly go wrong with a Trail Master , IMO . But I think the newest ones are in A-2 and are going to be a little more pricey than the old O-1 .

The A-2 should be a little tougher but I've beat heck out my old O-1 with no problems . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

There are some good custom makers that are competitive with the higher range production knives. I used to collect high end bowies and love them but never used them and moved on. Down to 2 Covington bowies that weren't much pricier than Cold Steels. James Bensinger also makes an awesome bowie.

Take a look at Giedymans big blades he is a maker here and does superb work lots of bowie's and very reasonable pricing

Back