Recommendation? Looking for a bowie

upstate88

Gold Member
I am in the market for a new knife, and was hoping to get some recommendations. I live in Oregon and spend a lot of time living out of a pack in the back country. Hunting and fishing is my game. Currently a cutco drop point hunting knife lives in my pack, but I am looking for something a bit more fun. It has to be small enough to actually use on game, as the only other knife I carry is a gerber skinner (the little guy with changeable blades).

- I am not a pro with a sharpener (learning, and have some threads up)
- trying to stay away from recurves
- 4" at the lowest end
- Bowie-ish style would be cool
- under $250

Svord Hunter 7
Svord%20Deluxe%20Hunter%20Knife%20-%20Model%20280H%20copy.1.jpg

Length of Blade (inches) 7"
Over All Length (inches) 12"
Blade Shape Hunter
Handle Material Mahogany and Brass
Steel Specifications 15N20
Blade Thickness (mm) 3mm
Sheath Leather
http://www.svord.com/index.php?id_product=16&controller=product

I've field dressed and butchered deer with a Cold Steel SRK, it's a clip point blade reminiscent of Sheffield Bowie. Falkniven has something similar. I own, but have not field dressed with a Buck 119; but I know people have. The Puma Bowie in 440c is a little spendy but very pretty.

Something like a Cold Steel Trail Master seems really cool, but way to big for field dressing (or most any other chore) in my opinion.

I often opine that I could field dress a deer with a saber or a piece of glass, but given my druthers I'll take something with a thinnish, narrowish, 3.5 - 5 inch blade. So if I'm going to recommend a Bowie type blade for hunting, I'll recommend something on the smaller side.

You should check out Bill Siegle’s work. He is also based in Oregon and specializes in Bowies, camp and utility/bushcraft knives. I am sure that he can come up with something nice for you.

He is a member here and has a sub-forum on this site.
n2s

Yeah I was gonna say Buck 119, also Silver knights has a Buck 212 in D2

I am in the market for a new knife, and was hoping to get some recommendations. I live in Oregon and spend a lot of time living out of a pack in the back country. Hunting and fishing is my game. Currently a cutco drop point hunting knife lives in my pack, but I am looking for something a bit more fun. It has to be small enough to actually use on game, as the only other knife I carry is a gerber skinner (the little guy with changeable blades).

- I am not a pro with a sharpener (learning, and have some threads up)
- trying to stay away from recurves
- 4" at the lowest end
- Bowie-ish style would be cool
- under $250
At your price point I definitely agree with Currawong and say go custom. Lots of lovely bowies in that range are on the custom maker's forum.

Last edited:
Custom makers section of the exchange is where you should look.

With your criteria and budget, you're bound to find something great.

If not, work with one of the makers and get what you really want.

Check out the VTB Von Tempsky 11" Bowie from Svord. It is a 16.5" knife with a 11" Swedish High Carbon Tool Steel blade having a super convex edge. Weighs 27.3 oz. Comes with a brass tip leather sheath. It's a badass bowie with a cool history dating back to 1863. I have it in my collection, however it's a "Limited Edition" thereby too nice to use.

I am excited about my new Pohl Force MK8 knife replica seen in the "Ramo : Last Blood" movie.

03bcCMl.jpg

Don't have this in hand yet …. my order is being shipped all the way from Dietmar Pohl's shop in Germany.

The Fallkniven A1 is one of my favorite outdoor knives. It can be had in your price range with a leather sheath and the convex edge is easy to maintain in the field. If I was getting a Bowie for the style, Cold Steel has a few.

Big auction site might have a Camillus Fisk OVB Bowie.

I have a couple of them. They carry like they're made of smoke.

Keep an eye out. Well worth the cash.

Custom from the BF exchange. I window shop constantly and there are always knives for everybody. And/or work with a maker to get something truly customized for you. That's almost as fun as using the knife! Good luck on the Bowie hunt. Good one.

Back