Recommendation? Looking for a bowie

yeah :( sounds like bad news, it's the 10" old timer blade? ... in 'stainless' which unfortunately is 3cr13, it's their goto low cost stainless

on top of that, I see it for sale at some places for $22 right now... good for a wall hanger imho and not much else - is it this one?
92217-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Everyone is at a different point on the knifeknut's journey.
Some are at the beginning where the knife above would be lots of fun.
Some are further along where it's not good enough.
Some would sneer at a $300 production knife.
And on and on.

The knife above just might be called a gateway bowie :D

yeah :( sounds like bad news, it's the 10" old timer blade? ... in 'stainless' which unfortunately is 3cr13, it's their goto low cost stainless

on top of that, I see it for sale at some places for $22 right now... good for a wall hanger imho and not much else - is it this one?
92217-DEFAULT-l.jpg
Yep - That's the one! Love that knife - don't care for the sheath. The thing I found most interesting is how sharp the blade is. This cheap thing came factory sharp - sharper than all but three of the hundreds of knives I've bought in the past - which is a real pity because I'm probably going to have to dull it down some for safety reasons.
Anyhow - it will make a good wall decoration once I mount it on a Cherry (or maybe some exotic wood I pick up next trip to Woodcraft) plaque. LOL! There's a bit of something eh? The wood for the plaque might cost more than the knife!
About the $22 - that doesn't include shipping - which can add another up to $7 to the price & a lot of those cheaper sites look sort of shady.

Everyone is at a different point on the knifeknut's journey.
Some are at the beginning where the knife above would be lots of fun.
Very true. There's also those of us that have lived a very full life and are nearing the exit gate & just want something that we've always wanted, but, since we have no real use for - other that to hold and look at - would rather put our money towards something else at this stage of the game ;)

Last edited:
Google portland oregon knife makers. Lots right in your neighborhood. Let us know what you pick.

Very true. There's also those of us that have lived a very full life and are nearing the exit gate & just want something that we've always wanted, but, since we have no real use for - other that to hold and look at - would rather put our money towards something else at this stage of the game

Well said. I'm 64 myself and understand completely :)

You should check out Bill Siegle’s work. He is also based in Oregon and specializes in Bowies, camp and utility/bushcraft knives. I am sure that he can come up with something nice for you.

He is a member here and has a sub-forum on this site.
n2s

Oops, just saw this is older. Looks like you picked up a Spyderco fixed blade. That should do you nicely!
Let us know how it is working for you!

Funny, I came on this post to suggest Bill Siegle's knives too!!

Looks like I am tardy to the party!

200-250 range is where I start recommending what I call "great buy customs"

There are a lot of custom makers putting out great bargains!

Back