Recommendation? Looking for a bowie

I have always had a fondess for Bowies and have bought and sold many.
A good all purpose Bowie made in Germany is the Puma Bowie.
jvbVtRC.jpg

I have always loved the S&W survival series designed by Blackie Collins like this model 6030
1NTYNxu.jpg

There are a lot of these Hollow Handled bowies, made by Bianchi and Carl Schlieper. Bianchi shown below.
YLdbByx.jpg

Fortunately there are many Bowies to choose from in your price range. Living in the Pacific NW I prefer a Stainless Steel, although the Carbon Steel fans prefer High Carbon Steel knives. I find once I get over 6" it become heavy and becomes more of a chopper.
I specialize in 70's - 90's USA, Seki, Japan, and Solingen, Germany knives. Not to say great knives do not come from every country. You can find these on e-Bay.

Bark River's MACV SOG lineup has some cool bowie type blades. All old school Vietnam looking stuff. Around $250-$300.

The Bowie I took out in the woods most often at first was a BK-7. While it was not stainless steel and would rust where it was not coated, it took abuse, was easy to maintain and came with a small BK-13 that was great for delicate work. I made a simple leather pancake sheath that make it easy to transport and use. It was well balanced for all- purpose use, could chop but was also an effective slicer. During a knife show I purchased a BK-7 with micarta grips, swapped them out with the ones from my knife and re-sold the knife. I preferred the feel of the Micarta Grips. I recommend a lanyard, especially when chopping.
qYHdnXC.jpg

1JpzuES.jpg

Than the Bowie Fever took over and I started to acquire 70's-90's USA and Seki, Japan knives and other foreign Bowies. Still most of the time if I am stepping out for a hike, I toss in this BK-7, the small BK-13 comes in handy as well.

Last edited:
my woods knife is only a 4.4" blade, but overall a great simple drop point... 14c28n, tough, easy to touch up and still easily transitions from wood/bush to food chores
I've found I don't really need a clip point

Since it states “Bowie-ish style would be cool” I will take that as its not required. I would recommend the Grohmann #4 Survival knife. My first choice would be the #1 Original Canadian Belt knife but you may be wanting a bigger more stout blade.

The Puma Hunter’s Pal is a great knife too. Just the right size to do most “knife” jobs and still easy to carry.

If you are sticking with the bowie style you might look at the Recon Scout. It smaller and more manageable than the TrailMaster. I have and love both of these knives, I have used the TrailMaster to dispatch and quickly quarter game although I would admit, it wouldn’t be my first choice as a game processing blade. However, the Bowie style in general wouldn’t be my first choice as a game processing blade unless you need the same knife to do multi roles and you need to limit weight or only carry one knife.

I am a huge Bowie fan. I just came across the Quiet Carry "the Drift". It's got a subtle Bowie/clip look and will work well on game. I'm picking one up soon to use with wild hog. I played with a buddy of mines. Seems perfect!

Late to the party but what the heck, someone else might be looking :)

I like a bowie.
I like lots of bowies :)
But I'm going to recommend the OP goes to AG Russell's site and look at the Dozier knives.
6Group.jpg

Meat eating cutting machines they are.

The Slim Outdoorsman is a great hunting outdoor knife. 2nd from the bottom.
Mine has the jigged bone handles.... AG has that for around $250, plain micarta for $210.

If you want bigger there is the Professional Guide's Knife. 3rd from the top. Micarta goes for $240 IIRC

All solid working knifes, with legendary Dozier D2 steel.
AG has a deal with the Dozier shop so there is always some stock on hand and you don't have the year long wait to order from the shop.

My Bowie just came this morning from Amazon.
(don't laugh people)It's a big honking Schrade - ~ $40.
Sharper than it has a right to be.
Considering the price - not bad, not bad at all, a matter of fact, 100 times better than I thought it would be!

No picture since it's something you can google.

It does have the distinction that of being the only thing I've ever bought in my life, that when I showed it to my wife this morning she was taken back and said, "What in the world are you going to do with THAT thing!"
Just about the only other thing I can think of I could buy that she would react that way too would be a Browning M2 .50 caliber machine gun.
Mission accomplished! (& for a whole lot less than an M2) :D

My Bowie just came this morning from Amazon.
(don't laugh people)It's a big honking Schrade - ~ $40.
Sharper than it has a right to be.
Considering the price - not bad, not bad at all, a matter of fact, 100 times better than I thought it would be!

No picture since it's something you can google.

It does have the distinction that of being the only thing I've ever bought in my life, that when I showed it to my wife this morning she was taken back and said, "What in the world are you going to do with THAT thing!"
Just about the only other thing I can think of I could buy that she would react that way too would be a Browning M2 .50 caliber machine gun.
Mission accomplished! (& for a whole lot less than an M2) :D

well... considering you are not the OP ; ) I hope it was a carbon steel schrade?, since they tend to use 3cr13 for their stainless which is actually the most common denominator among $5 gas station knives

which model?

1085938 is stamped on the blade & the order did say carbon steel.

Regardless - the thing is in now ay or shape anything close to being a user.
I'm happy as could be with the thing.

Back