Looking for best slicer pocket knife

So for some reason I have gotten the urge to to get a good slicer pocket knife. I have a large sebenza 21 and a microtech stitch that I carry every day, one or the other not both.

Looking for something that is super slicer and can take for feild dressing deer when I start hunting in the fall. I also have been using it to cut into wiring to splice things in on my bike. Not actually cut the wire but unwrap it.

Anyway I'm just seeing what everyone would suggest. I know a pocket knife isn't the best for taking out and dressing deer but I like taking my knives apart and cleaning and sharpening them regularly for no reason anyway.

All suggestions are welcome except no Spyderco as I am just not a fan of their knives. Good products just not to my taste

So for some reason I have gotten the urge to to get a good slicer pocket knife. I have a large sebenza 21 and a microtech stitch that I carry every day, one or the other not both.

Looking for something that is super slicer and can take for feild dressing deer when I start hunting in the fall. I also have been using it to cut into wiring to splice things in on my bike. Not actually cut the wire but unwrap it.

Anyway I'm just seeing what everyone would suggest. I know a pocket knife isn't the best for taking out and dressing deer but I like taking my knives apart and cleaning and sharpening them regularly for no reason anyway.

All suggestions are welcome except no Spyderco as I am just not a fan of their knives. Good products just not to my taste

Traditional folder in 1095.

For the slicing capability, it is hard to beat good traditionals.
Thin blade and behind the edge.

Among modern locking folders I have seen, Boker Exskelibur I is the best slicer.

Or, you can have whatever you like reground.

Slicers.JPG

Benchmade Doug Ritter griptilian. Saw a guy filed dressing a deer with one of these on YouTube. It appears to be a very capable knife for that purpose.

For the slicing capability, it is hard to beat good traditionals.
Thin blade and behind the edge.

Among modern locking folders I have seen, Boker Exskelibur I is the best slicer.

Or, you can have whatever you like reground.

Slicers.JPG

As much as I love the Exskelibur (as you well know!) and I agree it is one of the best slicing knives you can buy out of the box; I don’t think it is really going to be great for fieldressing hunted game.

Btw Miso I know uyou like alot of the knives I do. Check out the Sacha Thiel Citizen. It is an awesome looking front flipper.

I’m still seeing a lot of buck folders in bos s30v on the exchange lately, a lot of them excellent slicers like the 347 (the vantage pro) and very affordable as well.

If you want slicy, you can't beat a traditional.

The case sodbuster would be a great choice, they're super slicy and have lots of belly which would be good for game processing.

I was going to say Case Sodbuster, or Opinel. The Tangram Santa Fe is interesting if you don't mind a Wharncliffe sorta blade. Flat ground and reasonably priced.

1526972441183012460.png

Eric Glasser, Sal's son over at Spyderco said the best slicing knife they made in their entire lineup was the Jumpmaster 2 fixed 4.5 inch long blade in H1.

Given this, I would think whatever brand you buy or knife you decide on, it should be fully serrated for the entire length of the blade.

Just to offer something other than the Bugout, which is fantastic, you might check out the WE Rectifier:
WE-Knife-Co-Rectifier-FL-Green-G-10-Black-803A-BHQ-83809-jr.jpg

I don't have one and haven't handled one, but with 0.10" s35vn stock and a relatively tall blade it should be a damn fine slicer. It also comes in various finishes and will easier to dis/reassemble than the Bugout.

Of course, Opinel comes to mind instantly, then sodbuster. The Maserin Plow is a mid-sized sodbuster, just a bit smaller than the full-sized Case. In D2 steel. It’s the one in the middle.

CollectorKnives still has some, around $35.

E302A3E5-92DA-48CD-B4AB-3D779D414EA1.jpeg 60A88E11-2992-4C4D-BF2D-0D970A3C880F.jpeg

Last edited:
This woodblock print suggests how I view the slicing ability of an Opinel N°10 in carbon steel.

dprlY2F.jpg

I would also add a Mercator and Northwoods to this recommendation. What connects them all are their being traditionals, non-stainless steels, and on the thin side (especially the Opinel and Mercator). Carbon is the way to go for intense slicing ability and ease of sharpening. And with Opinel, you don't pay much. For fixed, I'd suggest a Mora in carbon for much the same reason.

Zieg

I'm remaining silent . . . well until the second Opinel volley then I had to say : I want to see someone close a good size Opinel after it has had enough water on it to wash out blood etc., . . .
come on . . .
I want to see it !
better take an old sheath that it will fit into . . .
better yet just take a fixed; that is what they are for.

Back