Looking for very tough knife!

I want a super strong thick chopping knife. I have my eye on the chiruwa ang khola. It looks awesome but its quite pricey at $200 (plus shipping since I'm in Canada).

Do you guys think its worth the money? Do you have suggestions for any other kukris that are comparable? Like the cold stool gurka or a kukri house one ?

Thanks for your suggestions!

No other knife like the HI cak. Will not disappoint. I don't think you'll find a comparable knife for less than 200. Also, you should keep an eye out for dotd's here on the forum. Cak's with minor imperfections routinely pop up in the $100-150 range.

Nice crystal thanks for that. I should add that I'm looking for the thickest, heaviest and strongest blade possible.

My 20" ak is the beefiest knife I have and have ever seen for sale. It's almost 9/16" at its thickest point and weighs around 3 1/2 lbs. I've had it over 10 years, used it for almost anything a large knife or small axe can be used for and it is still rock solid. No handle movement or chips in the blade, which is impressive considering what I've done to it.

I won't speak against khukuri house cause I've never bought or handled their stuff. The cold steel khuk isn't what you're looking for considering you criteria, it's more of a fighting knife.

Last edited:
Nothing better than a HI Khukuri. I haven't bought, nor handled any other brands, and actually have no wish to do so anytime soon.

You will not find a better product, with the incredible customer service, and integrity, as Himalayan Imports.

That being said, a CAK would definitely be the ticket. It is the only Khukuri to be warranted to be used as a prybar! The Bonecutter may be another option.

You could also contact Auntie directly at himimp@aol.com, she could have what you need in stock, or arrange to have a "custom" done, granted "customs" currently are taking about 6 months to a year, but believe me, it'll be well worth it.

$200 for a HI Khukuri is a "bargain" for the quality of the product. As crystaleyes stated, DOTD's do pop up regularly, and are a good bargain.

don't forget khukuri house's price does not include the shipping from nepal to canada that will need to be added, HI's only will add shipping from the USA. the HI price already includes shipping from nepal to the USA. in general it will also arrive a lot sooner after you order. (unless customs gets a bit stroppy, which can happen in either case.) and if heaven forbid, you need to send it back, it'll cost you a lot more to ship to nepal. doubt you'd need to send an HI one back.

I have HAD a cold steel. Forget it. It is what is referred to as a KLO. kuhkuri like object. It is a machette stamped out to look like a khuk. It has a very thin edge and sucks for chopping because it keeps getting stuck into the cut. Edge dynamics are very important for chopping. I do not have any information about your other choice as I fortunately found HI where I have been very happy with each and every blade I have chosen, I did once search their catalog for a version of the CAK. I was unable to find anything that was close to the same strength or thickness or warranty. On a side note if you think that $200 is expensive for a hand forged piece of steel then for your own sake please stay away from the sales forums on the rest of this site. The prices in rooms like the custom folders for sale will have you drop dead from shock. Seriously, the DotDs are great options if you are quick or patient as there is quite a group of people who usually buy up the blades pretty quickly after they are posted.

crystalEyes, Please show me the photo of 10 years 20" ak.

Certainly. Here she is, a sher from 2003 I believe. And it's actually closer to 21 than 20.

What? Did you think I was making it up?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys. The CAK is becoming really tempting. 1 other thing though, what do you guys think about the CAK vs the 18 inch ang khola? The 18 inch AK seems thicker and heavier (at 1/2 inch thick and 2+ lbs) where the CAK is 3/8 inch thick and 1.75 lbs. Also the ganga ram seems big and heavy too.

What do you guys think ?

Your normal ak is gonna be more tip heavy while the cak by comparison has more weight and steel in the handle. Some of these folks say the cak is a better balanced knife. Major difference is handle style.

I will caution you, just like the website states, that once you start going 18"+, the ak starts getting really heavy, and you need a strong wrist and forearm to use it properly and safety. I now prefer my lighter khukuris over the monster pictured above since I broke my wrist 2 years back. But if you want biggest and heaviest, go for it.

DOTD is def best bet if you want some savings-- but if you have the 200 do yourself a favor and HI and pay full price, realizing you are buying a fair trade hand made item, that directly benefits many families in nepal. and is better quality than any other hand made knife on the market, unless you are willing to spend ridiculous amounts.

also this is my first HI knife, i bought it in 1999

believe its a 25?( inch sirupati by bura

this thin knife has done all the work of an ak for years, I have chopped bones, wood, metal(by accident), and plenty of brush with it. I even left it in the rain once ;o

Last edited:
Nice looking blade Gehazi!

Sorry what is DOTD ?

I have emailed Yangdu. I just wanted to know if she could give some any non-leather sheath for the AK or CAK since I don't buy leather products. Hopefully she replies positively.

I will agree with ya there Gehazi. The 25" Siru is a very tough knife. Great brush knife and fun to use. Easy on the back because of its reach and that is one blade I dont mine paying for off the website store! When you buy off the store you will get extra special attention to detail and even wood type beauty etc. Tell Aunti Yangdu what you like and she will honestly pick you a nice one!
Here is another one I bought from the store. Its a 20" AK and about three pounds 1/2" thick. My favorite dedicated chopper!
cd0d594234dbd12d70756e5b36f804cd

and a little personal touch goes with the life of every blade! Dont get that from other companies.

Thx crystalEyes and all who is sharing the photos, she is still amazing last for 10 years or more. Keep it in good condition and always use it and one of the good method to maintain her in ultimate performance.

...any non-leather sheath for the AK or CAK since I don't buy leather products...

I suppose a custom order from HI could specify a wooden scabbard/sheath (no leather), as these are occasionally offered. Or a Kydex sheath could be ordered from one of the craftsmen here at BladeForums:

KLVUK1%20and%202_2.jpg

Made by roninsgrip, as seen in this thread
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1070657-Sheathmakers-Craftsmen-of-Bladeforums

Or you could make a wooden sheath/scabbard yourself, like this one, for example:

openbacksheaths.jpg

from http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/edgewise/woodensheath.html

Awww, nothing like a little stag in the morning. I do love me some stag.

ndoghouse's sharing is 25" Siru? or another!
Thats a 20" AK in my photo. The one in Gehazis pic is a 25" Siru.

BTW: I will attest to the quality of Ronins work. That is some of the finest Kydex work Ive ever seen! Very well done down to the last detail:thumbup:

Last edited:
Back