Machetes and small swords? Are they sold on this forum at all?

Dude, you and I are both free/non-contributing members here, AKA, mooching. The least we can do is be gracious. Can you imagine someone showing up empty-handed to a potluck at your house and then bitching about the rules of your home? That would be pretty rude, eh?
Laws, hence rules, are enforced by few and followed by many. The people who live under the rule of law should have the right to politely comment on the rules. And FYI, many of us pay for our memberships.

DShiflet said:
Sorry, I forgot this site has the absolute dumbest linking rules of any site in the entire country, so PM me if you want the links the mods deleted. Heaven forbid we try to help fellow enthusiasts and all that.

Spark put a lot of his own personal time and money into building and maintaining Bladeforums.

When the expense increased, he suggested ways to offset it, and a lot of members agreed to help. The current paid membership system keeps Bladeforums going.

If you don't have a paid membership, you are still welcome to participate, but please don't advertise for websites that compete with members who do support us.

I've done sword swinging around while going"whu-shaaaa.," since I was a kid, took some kali for a bunch of years, but was always taught not to worship or covet weapons so I never owned my own sword. I like looking through the for sale by owners section because it teaches me about the current knives that users like me tend to buy/own and trade back and forth. I was hoping swords and machetes got the same treatment. AND ACTUALLY, I'm not really that interested in machetes, I just post that term here because many short swords are refered to a machetes (even though they really are weapons as well as jungle clearing aids.) I live in NM and unless I'm feeling like hacking some fire wood with either of my two Condor Machetes I don't really have the need for use of one.
A sword however will give me many hours of swinging while going "whu-shaaaa," or, if I'm in a Star Wars frame of mind "Bzzzzzrrrwhh vzzzzrrrrrwhhooo" mood. But seriously, I praticed with sticks of various materials and weights for like 30 years, and used practice swords etc. and just got it into my head that since I now am collecting knives (not just buying one that I keep and use, but actually collecting and rotating my EDC) I might like to expand that and get a sword.
That is all, thank you, carry on. May the force be with you.

Silly, swords are very, very different from knives. A knife can be made very robust, and with full tang construction you can inspect the blade for cracks and without finding anything you can buy with confidence.

Swords are a completely different ball game. They are meant to cut, flex, and have a very different edge geometry.

Further, unless it's an *expensive* used sword, as I said above, most people don't think it's worth the effort to sell one here and pay 30, 40 bucks for shipping, and likely taking a loss vs. just selling locally. If I have a bottom of the barrel sword worth $100; why would you pay me $140 for it, when you could get a new one for that much?

However, if the sword is actually *used* then either I take a massive loss even if it's in good condition, or it's used to the point of major work- the edge is gone, balance off, the handle is loose. Then, even if I sell it for $40, you're still paying $80 for a broken(ish) sword.

And you have to worry about the construction and if it's still structurally sound, because the way you use a sword will cause serious injury if it fails. Loose handles, caused by screw construction on handles can be problematic, as you need to tighten them. From a peened or epoxied handle, things are much more dangerous.

Really, the only time there is enough of a difference in price between used and new AND you can be guaranteed the sword is in decent condition is with *expensive* swords.

Otherwise, just get a rawlings trainer.

Zero

Laws, hence rules, are enforced by few and followed by many. The people who live under the rule of law should have the right to politely comment on the rules. And FYI, many of us pay for our memberships.

In addition to what Esav noted, it is also worth realizing that BF is not a "country." Its Spark's property. If, his representatives, the mods, say, in their gentle way, "Quit complaining about the rules and shut up." you can do that or leave. That has nothing to do with whether or not you are polite or whether or not you have a paid membership.

Ive seen swords sold here - the sales forum here would be a good bet.

IIRC Busse's version of a Gladius has been a visitor at the sales forum for example.

I have a used zombie tools tai fighter maybe ill throw it on the exchange just for you.

Topcat, as I said I just wanted to know if they were so that I could see what people traded in and get ideas. There are millions of swords out there and I only want one. I just dont know which one. Im familiar with some but not many.

Zero T- thankyou for all that info. Perhaps you could make a suggestion via PM?

Sorry, I forgot this site has the absolute dumbest linking rules of any site in the entire country, so PM me if you want the links the mods deleted. Heaven forbid we try to help fellow enthusiasts and all that.
:rolleyes::thumbdn:

I don't suppose you have heard the phrase "don't look a gift horse in the mouth". I'm guessing not.

Dude, you and I are both free/non-contributing members here, AKA, mooching. The least we can do is be gracious. Can you imagine someone showing up empty-handed to a potluck at your house and then bitching about the rules of your home? That would be pretty rude, eh?

:thumbup:

Spark put a lot of his own personal time and money into building and maintaining Bladeforums.

When the expense increased, he suggested ways to offset it, and a lot of members agreed to help. The current paid membership system keeps Bladeforums going.

If you don't have a paid membership, you are still welcome to participate, but please don't advertise for websites that compete with members who do support us.

Well put.

In addition to what Esav noted, it is also worth realizing that BF is not a "country." Its Spark's property. If, his representatives, the mods, say, in their gentle way, "Quit complaining about the rules and shut up." you can do that or leave. That has nothing to do with whether or not you are polite or whether or not you have a paid membership.

Yup. The entitlement folks have these days is shocking.

On topic...

Searching in the exchange for "machete" or "sword" returned lots of results.

Title says it all and YES, I DID GOOGLE first, but didn't get a definitive answer. I'm looking for things like the Cold Steel Gladius and Scottish dirk and a large kukri or some of those Philippine swords and machetes.
There are custom makers that will build you these things,
There are retailers where you can buy these things from new
There are people in the trade sections that will trade items for these things.
You aren't looking in the right places if you cannot find them.

AND ACTUALLY, I'm not really that interested in machetes, I just post that term here because many short swords are refered to a machetes (even though they really are weapons as well as jungle clearing aids.)

I sometimes think the opposite. :D Sounds like you need a bonifide, certified, well-balanced hand-made sword! Your "wuuuu-shaaaaaaa" will turn into a "KIIIIIYAAAAAAAAA!"

So, the answer is " No, there is no thread specific to larger blades on this specific site, thanks for asking."

So, the answer is " No, there is no thread specific to larger blades on this specific site, thanks for asking."

No. There is not specifically devoted top just selling those. Just like there is not one for puukkos, or Seahorses, or hollow handled knives, or Nessmuks, or racheting navajas, etc etc etc.

But there is an entire subforums devoted to the discussion of the topic. Seems like that would be an excellent place to find out "what's out there."

Title:
Machetes and small swords? Are they sold on this forum at all?

Op:
Title says it all and YES, I DID GOOGLE first, but didn't get a definitive answer. I'm looking for things like the Cold Steel Gladius and Scottish dirk and a large kukri or some of those Philippine swords and machetes.

You have just changed the question you asked. Why? I don't know. But whatever. To your new question, no there is not some hidden magical subforum dedicated to the sale or trade of swords or machetes. Again, a simple perusal of the exchange will show that.

Did you search the exchange? Lots of them out there. Are they as prevalent as other offerings. Not even close. The Sword market is not as thriving as the pocket or fixed blade knife market. Machetes come up quite often though. You just need to keep your eyes open.

Good advice:
There are custom makers that will build you these things,
There are retailers where you can buy these things from new
There are people in the trade sections that will trade items for these things.
You aren't looking in the right places if you cannot find them.

Thank you all for your input this question has been answered.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input this question has been answered as no further need to continue viewing this thread.

As a Gold member, you can close it then.
Otherwise we'll keep viewing it and posting in it, because that's what we do. ;)

Just like this!

Swords are very refined weapons. I mean really, a Japanese person would have to be pretty eccentric buy an expensive katana for garden work, and I doubt a Moro warrior would have used a large, exquisite and very thin kampilan to hack through a jungle unless there was no other choice, and a rapier or jian would look pretty funny if used for landscaping. Even though I know damn-well that's what a lot of swords are used for nowadays! :D Still way different than a machete purpose-made for chopping vegetation.

[video=youtube;DFH6lXJ6c4k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFH6lXJ6c4k[/video]

Back