Mad for Micarta Picture Thread

This is a Buck Collector's Club, take apart, Aluminum model 110. The handle slabs are natural linen Micarta. The blade is Lighting Damascus. The bead on the fob has 3 green and 3 red Tritium vials.image.jpeg

Very nice, which one do you like better?

Cscotttsss Cscotttsss I like them both quite a bit, but for different reasons. The Biblio for its looks, pocketability (smaller imprint), and closer to my preferred blade length. The Grand for its action, comfort in hand, and deeper carry.

They both came with great F&F and even edge bevels/grinds. They're a pleasure to cut with for my relatively mundane EDC tasks. And the MICARTA feels great in hand!

In anticipation of today’s surprise drop

W9wlXLq.jpg

Back in October I carried my oldest Grip with my first pair of aftermarket scales. This was a frequent work carry for a couple years and it struck me odd that, despite my penchant for adding them, I'd never had a lanyard on it. I was also struck by the dark slick of oily build-up on the scales that seemed impervious to removal no matter how much I scrubbed with hot water, soap, and a stiff brush.

W1gwCPQ.jpg

The next day I determined to add a lanyard, using I bead I had on hand that had failed to find a home, and gave the scales another vigorous scrubbing to little avail both with soap and hot water as well as with alcohol, which had been suggested in these pages some time back.

mAUYmUM.jpg

About a week ago I thought to give it a try again with Acetone and this evening went down to the shop, took off the clip, and scrubbed away with a linen rag soaked in that solvent. I was able to get most of all that hardened accumulation out from the canvas Micarta's textured surface after working each side for 5 or so minutes and am quite pleased with the results. There's still some darkening there, which doesn't much bother me as it's part of the charm of the material, but I may try using Acetone and a brush, just to see if I can remove some more of the deeper deposits. Note that the lightness in the center of both scales was present when I first acquired them some ten years ago.

JFXFMY7.jpg

i2CHCTi.jpg

Back