"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by wellington, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Thanks Jeff, I'm thinking ivory but won't know for sure until I have it in hand.

2. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Congrats Augie! Looking forward to your pics and thoughts once you have it in hand.

Augie likes this.
  3. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    6 thick!! Way cool, Augie!!:thumbsup:

Will Power and Augie like this.
  4. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    All of those old Sheffield knives are reminders of a better, more 'civilized' era.

Drawing rooms and well tailored suits, fine brandy, the aroma of Dunhill 965 in the air, exquisitely fitted side by side shotguns and rifles from Holland and Holland.

The taking out a beautiful pearl handled lobster and using the long reamer tool to clear the stem of a Dunhill or Peterson pipe as you swap war series with some your old Boar War mates.

Augie likes this.
  5. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Wow!!!!
    Augie, Stunner - the type of knife that would make itself into Mike or Herders books in all honesty.
    To authenticate this Knife I strongly recommend that this knife be shipped to me immediately. :D

Augie likes this.
  6. LongBlade

LongBlade

May 8, 2015
    @Augie - Awesome Score Augie :thumbsup::thumbsup:... also looking forward to more photos and description once you have it in hand ;)... Nice to see this Sheffield thread pop up again :cool: ...

Augie likes this.
  7. chuko

chuko

Dec 22, 2007
    Innocent and Sons (pre 1860) 3 1/4" closed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Wow Charles!!!

9. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Thought I might bring this beauty over- simply too good to leave back there so soon.

Augie likes this.
  10. Augie

Aug 23, 2014
    What Mike said, just stunning.

Will Power likes this.
  11. LongBlade

LongBlade

May 8, 2015
    Lovely knife Charles :thumbsup::thumbsup:....

12. Augie

Aug 23, 2014
    I received the sportsman knife today and I'm not sure what I have, the spear blade is marked Humphrey Sheffield but the saw and button hook are marked McPhearson Brothers Glasgow while the nail file is marked A.May&Co. I would have to assume it is a put together knife but everything matches up and all blades and accessorizes have great snap and no play, the scissors are broken and the pick is missing which I knew.
    It is ivory and the construction is very good which makes me think it is not a put together knife especially with 6 springs. This one may be one of those mysteries that is never solved. Anyone with any ideas?

IMG_9391.jpg IMG_9392.jpg IMG_9393.jpg IMG_9395.jpg IMG_9398.jpg IMG_9401.jpg IMG_9403.jpg IMG_9405.jpg

danno50, navin74, LongBlade and 6 others like this.
  13. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I don't know if it was ever done in Sheffield, but it makes me think of a collaboration project between custom makers nowadays for a special event.

Augie likes this.
  14. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Exceptionally done and photographed, Augie ! I bet you're grinning :D Love it ! Thanks for the look

Augie likes this.
  15. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    What is the length, Augie??

Augie likes this.
  16. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    That sounds very feasible. Or even for a tailor-made knife?

Six thick though..I mean....:D:cool:

Augie likes this.
  17. Augie

Aug 23, 2014
    Charlie, it's 3 3/8", it's actually very pocketable for a 6 spring knife although a little on the heavy side.

Thanks for the comments so far everyone.

18. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Augie I am thinking that it is a very valid knife- one that was perhaps assembled by an old “ Little Mester “
    Which were many in the day but now few.
    There were many knives assembled outside of a Cutler firms premises- but Our Jack hopefully will correct me if I am wrong.
    Humphries madefor a Glochester firm?

19. chuko

chuko

Dec 22, 2007
    Some pearl Rodgers whittlers pre 1901
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. knowtracks

knowtracks Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2006
    VERY Sweet old knives Augie and Chuko!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: :cool::cool::cool:

Dave

Augie likes this.