"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

All of those old Sheffield knives are reminders of a better, more 'civilized' era.

Drawing rooms and well tailored suits, fine brandy, the aroma of Dunhill 965 in the air, exquisitely fitted side by side shotguns and rifles from Holland and Holland.

The taking out a beautiful pearl handled lobster and using the long reamer tool to clear the stem of a Dunhill or Peterson pipe as you swap war series with some your old Boar War mates.

Wow!!!!
Augie, Stunner - the type of knife that would make itself into Mike or Herders books in all honesty.
To authenticate this Knife I strongly recommend that this knife be shipped to me immediately. :D

Augie Augie - Awesome Score Augie :thumbsup::thumbsup:... also looking forward to more photos and description once you have it in hand ;)... Nice to see this Sheffield thread pop up again :cool: ...

Innocent and Sons (pre 1860) 3 1/4" closed
Innocenandsons3web.jpg

Innocenandsons2web.jpg

Innocenandsons6web.jpg

I received the sportsman knife today and I'm not sure what I have, the spear blade is marked Humphrey Sheffield but the saw and button hook are marked McPhearson Brothers Glasgow while the nail file is marked A.May&Co. I would have to assume it is a put together knife but everything matches up and all blades and accessorizes have great snap and no play, the scissors are broken and the pick is missing which I knew.
It is ivory and the construction is very good which makes me think it is not a put together knife especially with 6 springs. This one may be one of those mysteries that is never solved. Anyone with any ideas?

IMG_9391.jpg IMG_9392.jpg IMG_9393.jpg IMG_9395.jpg IMG_9398.jpg IMG_9401.jpg IMG_9403.jpg IMG_9405.jpg

I don't know if it was ever done in Sheffield, but it makes me think of a collaboration project between custom makers nowadays for a special event.

I don't know if it was ever done in Sheffield, but it makes me think of a collaboration project between custom makers nowadays for a special event.

That sounds very feasible. Or even for a tailor-made knife?

Six thick though..I mean....:D:cool:

Augie I am thinking that it is a very valid knife- one that was perhaps assembled by an old “ Little Mester “
Which were many in the day but now few.
There were many knives assembled outside of a Cutler firms premises- but Our Jack hopefully will correct me if I am wrong.
Humphries madefor a Glochester firm?

Back